Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #286
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Agreed! Back in the day all we needed was a 28, a 50 and a 100. Wider and longer lenses were for pros and toys for rich people.

Then Sports Illustrated happened.
Or, the computers happened. One of the things that tied us to primes was how difficult it was to design zoom lenses with abacuses.
I really do believe that the evolution of photography is tied to the evolution of lenses, with lenses being the motivator. Using sports photography as an example, it was a very different beast when photographers were using Speed Graphics. Better glass, especially long glass opened up a lot of creative possibilities.
You’ve probably had this happen yourself. You may have started shooting with a standard lens and took standard lens pictures. You may have added a telephoto zoom and your pictures would have evolved somewhat as the creative possibilities of 200mm manifested themselves.
For myself, even though I have glass from 15mm to 600mm, I haven’t evolved much past the standard lens.

02-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #287
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes, which day. My day was 1969 with a school Spotmatic, so it was a ST28/3.5, ST55/1.8 and ST105/2.8. Later it was a KX and the K versions of the same lenses; then an M50/1.4. I didn’t have a zoom until the mid 80’s
I beat you to the zooms, then. I got a Toyo Optics 70-210 with my K1000 kit in 1982. It also came with a M50mm f2 and a tiny Sunpak flash.

First things I added were a 35-75mm zoom and a better flash -- high school photojournalism was demanding.

I think my next prime was either the Takumar-Bayonet 135 or the M28mm f2.8, though I got my Miranda 24mm somewhere in there.

I think the popularity of ultra-wide photography is primarily due to having lenses in those focal lengths that aren't terrible or ridiculously expensive.

Phones may have shifted us some, but I think the ultra-wide lenses on phones have come as a consequence of ultra-wide in other formats, not the other way around.

And I also find it strange we don't have a first-party 28mm (or 24mm, or 20mm... at least one of those) for full frame. I am glad we at least have that field of view covered in APS-C.

-Eric
02-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #288
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Or, the computers happened. One of the things that tied us to primes was how difficult it was to design zoom lenses with abacuses.
I really do believe that the evolution of photography is tied to the evolution of lenses, with lenses being the motivator. Using sports photography as an example, it was a very different beast when photographers were using Speed Graphics. Better glass, especially long glass opened up a lot of creative possibilities.
You’ve probably had this happen yourself. You may have started shooting with a standard lens and took standard lens pictures. You may have added a telephoto zoom and your pictures would have evolved somewhat as the creative possibilities of 200mm manifested themselves.
For myself, even though I have glass from 15mm to 600mm, I haven’t evolved much past the standard lens.
I began as you postulated - but my photography greatly improved when zoom lenses of all sorts allowed me to choose perspective and framing separately.
02-29-2020, 11:53 AM   #289
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
For many year I never liked photographs with perspectives too far stretch from the normal view
I prefer focal lengths near normal as well. I like the unspectacular view, it lets the subject do the talking. However...

1. A bit of tele compression can makes images look really elegant. Buildings look more noble and sharp. A bit of abstraction does the job.
2. In many cases even a normal focal length leaves you only with fragments. A wide or uw gives context and situates the whole scene as well as making the image more immersive.

So three lenses really. I'm thinking a 50mm and 20mm might do the job as a dual lens combo and that's what I would aim for if I ever go FF.

As for photographing people I find wide angle lenses are great for children and documenting lively things in general.

02-29-2020, 12:20 PM   #290
Veteran Member

Only thing Im hoping for these days is pentax announcing a good manual focus film SLR. Something with the specs of Super A but better metering
02-29-2020, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #291
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Only thing Im hoping for these days is pentax announcing a good manual focus film SLR. Something with the specs of Super A but better metering
I think the ZX-m is going to be the closest you ever get to that dream...
Or maybe a P3? though that's just newer, not better...

But I can't see new happening, not in this market...

-Eric
02-29-2020, 01:02 PM   #292
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I prefer focal lengths near normal as well. I like the unspectacular view, it lets the subject do the talking. However...

1. A bit of tele compression can makes images look really elegant. Buildings look more noble and sharp. A bit of abstraction does the job.
2. In many cases even a normal focal length leaves you only with fragments. A wide or uw gives context and situates the whole scene as well as making the image more immersive.

So three lenses really. I'm thinking a 50mm and 20mm might do the job as a dual lens combo and that's what I would aim for if I ever go FF.

As for photographing people I find wide angle lenses are great for children and documenting lively things in general.
I have been using a 20mm for "close quarters", it really gives a whole new perspective for interior spaces. For "regular" landscape, the D FA 28-105 is plenty wide. I have been happy with just packing the 20mm + 90mm, but I would like to "lower" the 90 to 70 (or 77... were it a tad cheaper )

02-29-2020, 03:40 PM   #293
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I think the ZX-m is going to be the closest you ever get to that dream...
Or maybe a P3? though that's just newer, not better...

But I can't see new happening, not in this market...

-Eric
Zx-m would be perfect if it werent for the pentamirror and plastic mount
03-01-2020, 05:23 AM   #294
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
"Zooming with feet" changes perspective as well as framing. Some times walking backwards even gets objects in the way. I would rather change focal length to get both the framing and perspective I want.
Sure. I use a zoom sometimes. But there are a lot times where I really value having a tiny prime with usually a wider aperture than a comparable zoom and a set of particular characteristics, and I'm fine figuring out the framing and perspective within those constraints.
03-01-2020, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #295
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I beat you to the zooms, then. I got a Toyo Optics 70-210 with my K1000 kit in 1982. It also came with a M50mm f2 and a tiny Sunpak flash.

First things I added were a 35-75mm zoom and a better flash -- high school photojournalism was demanding.

I think my next prime was either the Takumar-Bayonet 135 or the M28mm f2.8, though I got my Miranda 24mm somewhere in there.

I think the popularity of ultra-wide photography is primarily due to having lenses in those focal lengths that aren't terrible or ridiculously expensive.

Phones may have shifted us some, but I think the ultra-wide lenses on phones have come as a consequence of ultra-wide in other formats, not the other way around.

And I also find it strange we don't have a first-party 28mm (or 24mm, or 20mm... at least one of those) for full frame. I am glad we at least have that field of view covered in APS-C.

-Eric
Phones are emulating the point and shoot film camera of the 1980s with their 35mm or 28mm lens.
03-01-2020, 10:02 AM   #296
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Phones are emulating the point and shoot film camera of the 1980s with their 35mm or 28mm lens.
Agreed, though on the premium phones, we're starting to see ultra-wides (12mm equivalent) and telephotos (85mm or so equivalent) as standalone lens/sensor options.

With fancy interpolation schemes to create bokeh and blend in the between focal lengths, the results are really impressive... especially since you can show them immediately on a 5+ inch screen...

And that doesn't even start on the 47-100Mp sensors that are happening on phones...

-Eric
03-09-2020, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #297

DA* 16-50 replacement ==> this is I want now!
03-22-2020, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #298

I hope that a 400mm+ prime DFA comes out off the pipe... A lot of us are waiting so long for it.
03-22-2020, 10:06 AM - 3 Likes   #299
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tomzohh Quote
I hope that a 400mm+ prime DFA comes out off the pipe... A lot of us are waiting so long for it.
Or just use the DA560?
03-23-2020, 07:42 AM - 2 Likes   #300
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
Or just use the DA560?
I still miss the DA560. I have shot the Canon 400DOII and the Nikon 500PF, and stíll miss the DA560.
I am the odd one out for sure, but I loved the output of that lens on the K3. I now have the Nikon D500+500PF, and still am contemplating a repurchase of the DA560 to use on the new K aps-c flagship. Not to replace the Nikon combo, but to go alongside it.