Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 282 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2021, 07:57 PM - 5 Likes   #346
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Should start a rumor about Pentax releasing a limited run of "straight blade Ltd's" so we can get better star bursts out of the DA 15 and 70 again.

02-15-2021, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #347

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Should start a rumor about Pentax releasing a limited run of "straight blade Ltd's" so we can get better star bursts out of the DA 15 and 70 again.
+1 ;-)

In the same way we can choose between Black and Silver version of lenses, that would be awesome if we could choose Straight Blades (Landscape) or Rounded Blades (Portrait) version of lenses
02-15-2021, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #348
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote
+1 ;-)

In the same way we can choose between Black and Silver version of lenses, that would be awesome if we could choose Straight Blades (Landscape) or Rounded Blades (Portrait) version of lenses
This just in: Pentax releases world's first variable-shape diaphragm for the D FA 21 Limited. Up to f/5.6 the lens uses all 13 blades, out of which 6 are rounded off to preserve the bokeh, and beyond that aperture you get the choice of keeping them so or only the 7 straight blades for sunstars.

Am I making this up? Yes. Do I want it? Also yes.
02-15-2021, 07:37 AM   #349
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
This just in: Pentax releases world's first variable-shape diaphragm for the D FA 21 Limited. Up to f/5.6 the lens uses all 13 blades, out of which 6 are rounded off to preserve the bokeh, and beyond that aperture you get the choice of keeping them so or only the 7 straight blades for sunstars.

I just hope Pentax is ahead of the curve and realise that prominent diffraction spikes are a gimmic about to fade into history.

02-15-2021, 11:38 AM   #350
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote

I'm in

The new denomination could be "SV" like "Starburst variation" (bearing in mind that the new Hyper-Program mode makes Sv mode somehow useless and that it has not been used in lens denomination).
02-17-2021, 08:54 AM   #351
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm just surprised some of the DA 21 superfans didn't jump in and ask why I didn't include their lens in this Starburst Limited Ltd's thing (it's because I do not care about the DA 21).
02-17-2021, 12:44 PM - 2 Likes   #352
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote
+1 ;-)

Fully agree. If Ricoh can do a wood-knurled KP, an infra-red-only KP marketed only to art museums and homicide detectives, and a green version of the GRIII, then it surely has the manufacturing bandwidth to do DA Limiteds with both HD coatings and straight aperture blades. Ricoh wouldn't need to invent a thing. These are parts they have previously manufactured at scale.

I'd pay $700 tomorrow for an "HD Starburst Special Edition" DA 21mm Limited. No hesitation at all.

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I just hope Pentax is ahead of the curve and realise that prominent diffraction spikes are a gimmic about to fade into history.
The beautiful thing about prominent diffraction spikes, rear-curtain flash, swirly bokeh, classic film emulations, lens flare, and noise reduction is that anyone who doesn't like a particular aesthetic can adjust the equipment so as not to produce it. I have never once shot a 2-megapixel JPG with my K-S2, but you won't catch me hoping Pentax would deny that option to those who have found a use for it.

Last edited by PocketPixels; 02-17-2021 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added response
02-25-2021, 04:38 PM   #353
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Reference link: Re: HD Pentax-D FA 70-200mm f/4: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

That's incredible. I hope this isn't 10 total by 2025 or something.
Looks like they are reheating old LTD designs now and calling them new. So that appears to be a chunk of the 10. I'm far less impressed now.