Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2020, 03:34 PM - 3 Likes   #76
Pentaxian

Just make one of those ten a compact wide-angle D-FA prime - something like the FF equivalent of the DA 15mm Ltd, so in the 18-24mm range - and I'll be perfectly happy. I don't ask for much!

01-22-2020, 03:54 PM - 4 Likes   #77
Pentaxian

Nobody asks for much (though, uh...) but everybody asks for something different.
01-22-2020, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #78
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
But how does it perform Steve?
Makes no difference. They wanted "light" and I showed them reality; f/2.8, after all does not come cheap.

Steve
01-22-2020, 04:25 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Makes no difference. They wanted "light" and I showed them reality; f/2.8, after all does not come cheap.
Steve
Nobody asked for cheap or light......I think it would be great if they could bring out a modern version of that lens. HD D FA* 300mm f2.8.

01-22-2020, 04:58 PM   #80
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Nobody asked for cheap or light......I think it would be great if they could bring out a modern version of that lens. HD D FA* 300mm f2.8.
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood Dieseler's comment (the one I responded to). My bad

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
I'd like to see a modern, fast-focussing, reasonably lightweight telephoto prime as one of them. Maybe using PF/DO tech.

Either a 300 f2.8 as @BROO mentioned, 400 f2.8 or 500/600 f4. Plus a FF 1.4 TC!

Can always wish!
I should have made my bolding a little darker and edited out the "@" sign. Sorry for ringing your bell.

Steve

(...yeah, right...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-22-2020 at 05:04 PM.
01-22-2020, 05:08 PM   #81
Pentaxian

I wonder how many of these upcoming 10 new lenses are "Tamron Clones" (like some are saying the new 70-210mm f/4 lens is)?

I don't have a problem with that if it helps them make money that they can invest in the development of new cameras and updates to existing cameras.
01-22-2020, 05:12 PM   #82
Veteran Member

That's all right steve. I am sure it is not in your nature to ridicule people.

01-22-2020, 05:38 PM - 3 Likes   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Nobody asks for much (though, uh...) but everybody asks for something different.
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Just make one of those ten a compact wide-angle D-FA prime - something like the FF equivalent of the DA 15mm Ltd, so in the 18-24mm range - and I'll be perfectly happy. I don't ask for much!

Steve
You guys know the story.

Cheap. Light. Good.

Pick two.
01-22-2020, 06:00 PM - 6 Likes   #84
Pentaxian

Ten more in the pipeline, so the rumor goes. Well I hope it turns out to be fact, not just rumor. I wasn't happy when the holy trinity came out a few years ago and two of them happened to be 'Pentaxized' Tamron jobs, namely the 15-30 and the 24-70...both F 2.8's.

But just this month I bought a new Pentax 24-70 and I know it really is a Tamron, but so far and I caution it is early innings ...couple weeks...but so far I really don't have complaints about this lens. Pix are sharp, I love the constant F 2.8 and build quality seems fine...focuses fast too. So based on that experience if Pentax decides to do a deal with Tamron and 'Pentaxize' additional premium level Tamron lenses...if they are as good as what the 24-70 seems to be...how can anyone have an issue with that.

I used to be a purist (must come from my way back... English Puritan ancestry ) regarding camera equipment, but now, my view if it works real well...who cares. Certainly not moi.
01-22-2020, 10:12 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
any of these lightweight????
Lightweight is relative, the latest Canon 600 f4 lens is a lot lighter and better balanced than previous versions and the new Sony 600 f4 is also a similar weight. Using PF/DO technology would probably reduce weight even more.
01-22-2020, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #86
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood Dieseler's comment (the one I responded to). My bad

I should have made my bolding a little darker and edited out the "@" sign. Sorry for ringing your bell.

Steve

(...yeah, right...)
I did ask for light, hence the PF/DO comment. Price was never mentioned .
01-22-2020, 10:26 PM   #87
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
A 24-150mm F4 would be great !
Tamron offer a 35-150 f/2.8-4 but not sure Pentax would be interested it since it would compete with the 28-105 f/variable

The Nikon 24-120 f/4 starts to soften after around 105mm. I'm thinking the larger the focal range the worse the long end tends to be. Increasing it out to 150mm might be detrimental to the performance. It does sound like a nice range though if they could pull it off and keep size and weight at a minimum. That's a tall order however!
01-22-2020, 10:28 PM - 2 Likes   #88
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Ten more in the pipeline, so the rumor goes. Well I hope it turns out to be fact, not just rumor. I wasn't happy when the holy trinity came out a few years ago and two of them happened to be 'Pentaxized' Tamron jobs, namely the 15-30 and the 24-70...both F 2.8's.

But just this month I bought a new Pentax 24-70 and I know it really is a Tamron, but so far and I caution it is early innings ...couple weeks...but so far I really don't have complaints about this lens. Pix are sharp, I love the constant F 2.8 and build quality seems fine...focuses fast too. So based on that experience if Pentax decides to do a deal with Tamron and 'Pentaxize' additional premium level Tamron lenses...if they are as good as what the 24-70 seems to be...how can anyone have an issue with that.

I used to be a purist (must come from my way back... English Puritan ancestry ) regarding camera equipment, but now, my view if it works real well...who cares. Certainly not moi.
I don't care either these days as long as it performs well. And Tamron does have some Pentax lens knowledge under the roof in a former Pentax designer. So that 24-70mm might very well have had some Pentax insight baked into it.
01-22-2020, 10:31 PM - 2 Likes   #89
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
It is odd that this seems to be the most requested lens, yet Ricoh still hasn't delivered. Back when the K-1 was first launched it was one of the more requested lenses. Today, 4 years later, it still is.

For such a landscape oriented camera as the K-1, it does make me wonder too why the UWA prime hasn't had more priority.
01-22-2020, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I don't care either these days as long as it performs well. And Tamron does have some Pentax lens knowledge under the roof in a former Pentax designer. So that 24-70mm might very well have had some Pentax insight baked into it.
Quite right. The name of this famous Pentax lens designer is Jun Hirakawa and I believe he was responsible for the design of the 31, 43 and 77 mm Limited's.

It would be interesting to know if he had a hand in the design of the Tamron 24-70 and 15-30...which are well regarded lenses either in Pentax or Tamron form.