Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 282 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2020, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Having a cheap line of small hd fa lenses with so so optics makes sense to me. You can make beautiful images with those existing fa lenses. As mentioned the HD FA 35 has been sold quite cheaply. I'm just "worried" the build quality is to good. For the cheapest line they should drop build quality a la plastic fantastics. That said the plastics already exist...

01-23-2020, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Having a cheap line of small hd fa lenses with so so optics makes sense to me. You can make beautiful images with those existing fa lenses. As mentioned the HD FA 35 has been sold quite cheaply. I'm just "worried" the build quality is to good. For the cheapest line they should drop build quality a la plastic fantastics. That said the plastics already exist...
DFA 24mm f2.8, in about the same housing as the 35 mm f2.

Great walk around lens on APS-C, great inexpensive wide on FF. Everyone wins.

Then they can do a 20mm f1.8 Limited or whatever that is big, modern, and awesome.

-Eric
01-23-2020, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Let's hope some more TamTax models.....
Although I would prefer "PenTam," thanks at least for not saying "TamPax."
01-23-2020, 02:53 PM   #124
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
PenRon!...a Pentax makeover of a Tamron lens

01-23-2020, 02:53 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Yep, Pentax-rebadged L-mount Sigma lenses for a Pentax-rebadged Sigma fp camera.

Sorry, couldn't resist either.
I would buy one
01-23-2020, 03:10 PM - 7 Likes   #126
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pentax is not a company anymore, Pentax is brand name
It has been a brand name forever. The original camera was the Asahiflex. They developed the pentaprism for the first SLR and called it the Asahi Pentax where Pentax was a contraction of PENTAprism and AsahifleX. Pentax was registered as a trademark. It was not a company. The trademark (which is now considered the brand) has been Asahi Pentax, Honeywell Pentax, just Pentax when it was owned by Hoya, and now Pentax while it is owned by Ricoh (although some have complained when Ricoh appeared on the box or back of the body). Pentax has never been a company. Think of it more as a line of DNA. It will only stop being recognisable as a Pentax when the name is sold without the continuing line of expertise.
01-23-2020, 03:18 PM - 3 Likes   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Pentax has never been a company.
Pentax - Wikipedia

"The company was renamed Pentax Corporation in 2002."

01-23-2020, 03:28 PM - 2 Likes   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
FWIW, the D FA 70-210/4.0 is not a clone. It differs obviously in multiple respects from the similar Tamron offerings for Nikon and Canon (neither identical to the other). Probably, the most tantalizing is the claim by Pentax of using different glass (anomalous dispersion in two elements) than Tamron uses. Beyond that the short list runs like this:
  • Quick Shift (+)
  • Focus Limiter (+)
  • HD SMC (+)
  • SDM (may or may not be different/better than the Tamron USD)
  • WR (may or may not be better than Tamron moisture resistance)
  • No VC
  • No Tamron Tap-in Console support
  • No Tamron 6-year warranty
  • No matched 1.4x and 2.0x TCs
  • Does not require purchase of a Canon or Nikon body (+)

Steve
The Tamron lens has Quick Shift (just not named that way), SDM = USD here and the seals are positioned at the same places in both versions.

Tamron

Pentax
01-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #129

I just want a good 16-50 mk2 asap and later 300 f2.8 or 300 f4 mk2 or 400 f5.6.
01-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Regarding the DA*300 f4, it's an important lens in the Pentax lineup, so it makes sense to release an HD coated version of it, in my opinion.
But it probably won't happen... bigger fish to fry.
Surely they’d just have to wait until they were preparing a new batch for manufacture, and shift to the HD coating line. Of course, that would also require rebadging and repackaging, not to mention holding off until warehouse stocks of components were exhausted.
01-23-2020, 04:01 PM - 2 Likes   #131
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Surely they’d just have to wait until they were preparing a new batch for manufacture, and shift to the HD coating line. Of course, that would also require rebadging and repackaging, not to mention holding off until warehouse stocks of components were exhausted.
I think they'd have to ditch the old SDM too and go with a newer / better equivalent, no?
01-23-2020, 04:01 PM   #132
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Pentax - Wikipedia

And before that, in the late 1970s the regional Asahi subsidiaries transitioned to Pentax as the primary aspect of their company names; for example, Pentax Corporation for the U.S. entity that used to be in Englewood, Colorado.

Steve
01-23-2020, 04:13 PM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think they'd have to ditch the old SDM too and go with a newer / better equivalent, no?
That’s be helpful, but it would probably require a new/modified lens barrel to accommodate the ring motor. Maybe not, but I’m not familiar with the innards of the DA*300.
01-23-2020, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #134
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
I take your point (thank you, I should have picked that up - my mistake). My only point was that it was a particular brand. We don't question whether anything manufactured before 2002 qualifies as a Pentax, so I see no reason to split hairs now.
01-23-2020, 04:22 PM - 3 Likes   #135
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
That’s be helpful, but it would probably require a new/modified lens barrel to accommodate the ring motor. Maybe not, but I’m not familiar with the innards of the DA*300.
Even though the DA*300 wasn't badly impacted compared to other SDM lenses, I don't think Ricoh could or should release a refresh without replacing the old SDM AF motor somehow - just as we wouldn't want them to release another camera with the K-30 / K-50 aperture control mechanism and solenoid part...