Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 282 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2020, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
That would make a really interesting kickstarter... everybody sends you a dollar and you use the proceeds to buy the existing lens, thereby guaranteeing the imminent release of the new one.

I’ve certainly seen weirder crowdfunding ideas...

-Eric
Hmm, that idea has merit......

02-02-2020, 12:58 PM   #197
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Those blue halos are fake bokeh.
Then I prefer a smartphone computing bokeh for me rather than such poor lens design.
02-04-2020, 05:20 AM   #198
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I vote for a *DA* 500/5.6 to go with the K-3 mk iii
02-04-2020, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #199
Pentaxian

Well, Tokyo Olympics are this year. While Pentax hasn't been a weapon of choice for sports photographers in quite a while, it is a matter of prestige to offer something capable for this special occasion. K-New with D500-level AF and a fast, long lens with the new SDM and KAF4 would be something exactly like that.

02-04-2020, 05:54 AM   #200
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BAKrueger Quote
I vote for a *DA* 500/5.6 to go with the K-3 mk iii
There's already the HD Pentax-DA 560/5.6 ED AW....
02-04-2020, 07:15 AM   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Well, Tokyo Olympics are this year. While Pentax hasn't been a weapon of choice for sports photographers in quite a while, it is a matter of prestige to offer something capable for this special occasion. K-New with D500-level AF and a fast, long lens with the new SDM and KAF4 would be something exactly like that.
I would be impressed if true, but I do not expect any brand to be able to make such progress in af within a single iteration of model rework.

Actually I think they should not do this. Most likley they will not be able to keep up with other brands succes in af speed and spent a hell lot of money on such a combination of lens and body only to still not be "as good as the others" in this aspect.

It will be better to slowly close the gap in af performance and when they are there they are still able to put out the marketing for it.
Other companies are not working on classic dslr-af a lot atm. Those resources are blocked by them trying to keep up the eye-af of Sony and other mirrorless af features. This is Pentax' chance to finally get on the same level, as long as the others do not make great improvements.
02-04-2020, 07:27 AM - 2 Likes   #202
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
I would be impressed if true, but I do not expect any brand to be able to make such progress in af within a single iteration of model rework.
This iteration has been in the making for almost 5 years now. It's like, 2,5 camera generations in mirrorless terms.

That's enough time to catch up. Not necessarily to beat (especially seeing that the only fast focusing DA lens is 55-300 PLM), but they don't have to beat the competition.

02-04-2020, 08:13 AM   #203
Veteran Member

This iteration has been in the making for almost 5 years now. It's like, 2,5 camera generations in mirrorless terms.

That's enough time to catch up. Not necessarily to beat (especially seeing that the only fast focusing DA lens is 55-300 PLM), but they don't have to beat the competition.
Last af dev state was with the k1m2, only 2 years back.
I think people generally underestimate the effort Nikon put into their professionall af module. The Pentax af from the k1 II is much better than the k3 II, especially in af-c (at least this is what I feel using both), but still several generations behind the Nikon equivalent (I do not know exactly about Canon, but they are propably closer to Nikon than to Pentax).

We will see soon what they were able to achieve.
02-04-2020, 08:19 AM   #204
Pentaxian

I think people generally underestimate the effort Nikon put into their professionall af module. The Pentax af from the k1 II is much better than the k3 II, especially in af-c (at least this is what I feel using both), but still several generations behind the Nikon equivalent (I do not know exactly about Canon, but they are propably closer to Nikon than to Pentax).

We will see soon what they were able to achieve.
Nikon AF depends on a separate processor. Of course, Pentax will not match that, but my KP works well at what it is supposed to do - photograph in the wild. Why are Pentax fans so determined to compete in what is a completely different arena?
02-04-2020, 08:20 AM   #205
Pentaxian

I think people generally underestimate the effort Nikon put into their professionall af module.
What effort? Mere decades!

(I hope we'll see the second generation Pentax advanced AF with subject recognition and tracking - the first being the SAFOX introduced with the K-3).
02-04-2020, 08:48 AM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Nikon AF depends on a separate processor. Of course, Pentax will not match that, but my KP works well at what it is supposed to do - photograph in the wild. Why are Pentax fans so determined to compete in what is a completely different arena?
That's the point. Af does not have to be at D500 level. Going to promote Pentax at Olympics is not hitting their current customers
02-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #207
Pentaxian

Well, yes. Although I was speaking about the APS-C lineup specifically, and hardware changes only (KP has the same AF module as K-3).
02-04-2020, 08:51 AM   #208
Veteran Member

Well, yes. Although I was speaking about the APS-C lineup specifically, and hardware changes only (KP has the same AF module as K-3).
Were we not talking about your idea to close up to the Nikon D500 because they had 5 years to do so?
Deapite the size and positio/amount of points there is no different tech between ff and apsc af.
02-04-2020, 09:10 AM   #209
Pentaxian

Were we not talking about your idea to close up to the Nikon D500 because they had 5 years to do so?
It's not entirely "my idea". There have been rumours circulating about K-new having the same amount of AF points as D500, and while amount of points != performance, there are here for a reason?

Also, what's so wild about closing up to Nikon D500? This camera is 4 years old now.

Despite the size and positio/amount of points there is no different tech between ff and apsc af.
Well, I don't know, but I'll take your word on that.
02-04-2020, 09:20 AM   #210
Veteran Member

It's not entirely "my idea". There have been rumours circulating about K-new having the same amount of AF points as D500, and while amount of points != performance, there are here for a reason?

Also, what's so wild about closing up to Nikon D500? This camera is 4 years old now.

Well, I don't know, but I'll take your word on that.
It is wild because the Nikon is just very good at this matter, Pentax not. It has never been Pentax' focus to compete in the af game, afaik. Its not a brand to shoot sports with.

There are of course differences between ff and aps, in iptics and computing amount but generally speaking: if you can build one fast, the same is true for the other one.