Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
There was once a rumour that they are thinking about joining L mount.
There was no such rumor.

02-10-2020, 02:06 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There is now!
02-10-2020, 02:08 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
IMO it's the other way around. The market collapses -> less economies of scale -> margins must rise but you can't do this indefenitely with the same old products.
Which means you go "high end" (whatever the means you chose to do so).
Exactly. In a declining market that becomes niche, average product price increases. There are numerous precedents in the photographic market, including medium format cameras and rangefinder cameras.
02-10-2020, 02:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
There is now!
Now I see who started this one.

02-11-2020, 04:13 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it is unlikely they would feature a K mount product until they have a truly new camera body to feature. Lenses, while interesting to us, are never huge sellers and so, while the DFA *50 is a really nice lens, I am sure it didn't generate a bunch of revenue. It is possible the K-new will do more for the balance sheet (certainly we've been waiting long enough for it there should be some sales).
02-11-2020, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
There was once a rumour that they are thinking about joining L mount. ....
It would be better to become a certainty as soon as possible.
02-11-2020, 01:38 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Better for whom?

02-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member

For me
02-11-2020, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dream on and keep "walking in the air"!
02-11-2020, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ricoh Imaging might join the L mount, the condition precedents being (i) they see advantages in doing so and (ii) Leica, Panasonic and Sigma are keen on letting them do so, but I'm not so sure they would use the Pentax brand for this.
02-11-2020, 03:02 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Ricoh Imaging might join the L mount, the condition precedents being (i) they see advantages in doing so and (ii) Leica, Panasonic and Sigma are keen on letting them do so, but I'm not so sure they would use the Pentax brand for this.
It doesn't matter if they make a complete adapter for the K-mount lenses.
02-11-2020, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

It doesn't matter if they make a complete adapter for the K-mount lenses.
While we can hastily wish this and that, they have to carefully consider all implications of such strategic moves.
For example - the complete adapter for K-mount lenses you're talking about might be primarily a way of facilitating their users' migration to Pana/Leica/Sigma cameras and lenses.
02-12-2020, 04:45 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't think Ricoh van accelerate migration. Those guys already did.
02-12-2020, 05:01 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe Ricoh Imaging are making money with cameras, but I don't care much about it. Nikon announced their Z 20mm f1.8, so now they have a nice set of primes from 14mm to 85mm, top moch optics. Since 2016 that Ricoh have released the K1, they've been able to make one prime shared with Tokina, that's not that impressive IMO. Nikon lose money, it's not my problem if they make the products that I'm excited about, all that matter to a photographer should be the cameras, lenses and the images it can produce, not if a company is making money or not. There is something wrong here. This year and next year, I might well sell off half of my Pentax kit and buy a Nikon Z primes kit, bad for Ricoh as they lose me as a customer, but hey they've made no effort, can't make money without investing anything, at the end of the day it's Ricoh's problem to do what matters to keep their customers. What's sad with Pentax is that there is a wonderful crowd of passionate photographers, very loyal, very knowledgeable, very patient and very defending Pentax... and Ricoh beancounters don't seem to give a damn about it.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-12-2020 at 05:06 AM.
02-12-2020, 05:37 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Maybe Ricoh Imaging are making money with cameras, but I don't care much about it. Nikon announced their Z 20mm f1.8, so now they have a nice set of primes from 14mm to 85mm, top moch optics. Since 2016 that Ricoh have released the K1, they've been able to make one prime shared with Tokina, that's not that impressive IMO. Nikon lose money, it's not my problem if they make the products that I'm excited about, all that matter to a photographer should be the cameras, lenses and the images it can produce, not if a company is making money or not. There is something wrong here. This year and next year, I might well sell off half of my Pentax kit and buy a Nikon Z primes kit, bad for Ricoh as they lose me as a customer, but hey they've made no effort, can't make money without investing anything, at the end of the day it's Ricoh's problem to do what matters to keep their customers. What's sad with Pentax is that there is a wonderful crowd of passionate photographers, very loyal, very knowledgeable, very patient and very defending Pentax... and Ricoh beancounters don't seem to give a damn about it.
They continually make an effort - just not the effort you want.

My KP is a wonderful camera, just apparently not what you want. Since they apparently can take please you, I hope you move to Nikon, and to Nikon Rumors, sooner than later.