Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2020, 06:34 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
"3 way" binocular and monocular projects

Makuake???????????????????? ? ??????????????????? - ???????????
Looks like Pentax are developing a couple of unique optical products. There's more to them both than initially meets the eye. You need to watch the videos... wait for it wait for it...

02-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

IMO this looks a little gimmicky... I'd rather see Pentax show a pair of 8x56 binos in ZD ED series, but with FoV that doesn't suck...
02-12-2020, 08:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Agreed that it seems gimmicky, and 4x20 really isn't much.

When it's together as a 16x, are we still seeing the same amount of light as if it was a 16x20 monocular, or I presume we're seeing less light?
02-12-2020, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Good catch!

If I'm not mistaken, it's the first time that Ricoh Imaging resort to crowdfunding to launch a new product (two in this case).

By the way, the guy behind this project is TKO, a designer at Ricoh Imaging, The 'separable binoculars' reflect an idea he came up with when using binoculars. He is better known here for being the father of the Pentax KP J Limited. He also appears in the video on the Makuake project page that explains the products.

Google translation: Makuake | New concept. Binoculars that can share the excitement and monoculars that can be easily operated with one hand! | Makuake-Crowdfunding

02-12-2020, 10:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, the designs make perfect sense for the uses they're showing.
Watching sport or opera or casual use doesn't really require lugging 1.5kg of high grade binoculars or a spotting scope. Plus you would get looked at askance at the opera whilst setting up your 20x70s on a tripod. Also, they acknowledge the fact that most people just shoot with smart phones and the monocualar with the smart phone adaptor would have "general appeal", IMHO.
02-12-2020, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #6
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are both interesting ideas. The monocular as a smart phone telephoto lens may be a new direction for Pentax - dipping into the smart phone sector.
02-13-2020, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #7

As a person who only use half a binocular anyway this seems like a good ide :-)

02-13-2020, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Actually, given that the majority of the reviews of "add-on" telephoto lenses for smart phones show how bad they are, then maybe one from a respected camera lens manufacturer might just be a very good idea - albeit that the price would be "a little higher" than for the junk already on the market.
02-13-2020, 05:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is indeed a unique concept Pentax is trying out, I very much like the idea of a focus rocker used on the monocular. I own a few Monoculars: My points of reference are the Carl Zeiss 10X25 and Leica Monovid 8X20. Both of these use helicoid focusing which makes them difficult to operate single handed, the Pentax Monocular seems to address that shortcoming.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-13-2020 at 05:48 AM.
02-15-2020, 04:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian

4x magnification is nice for theatres and maybe some spectator sports - if you use binos in a theatre. 4x4x Is not for handheld use and with an opening of 20 mm the exit pupil is tiny. The market seems very limited.
Classic 8x20 wins for me, or a larger 8x30ish.
02-15-2020, 02:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Heres the Youtube-Video:
02-15-2020, 03:46 PM   #12
2B1
Forum Member

success at 462%.

I do not read Japanese.
They may have reached their target.(monetary)
Nice idea with the smartphone attachment.
This is a growing market ,
I would have gone with the Ricoh brand name, my preference, this name may be more appealing to a smartphone generation , who are happy with their phones , but want versatility and improvements.
And of course if they want a large sensor camera with similar ergonomics to a smartphone , then their is also the other Ricoh cameras , GRii (affordable)and GRiii.
02-15-2020, 06:51 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love it that they are continuing to produce new Pentax binoculars. It is another sign of health in the brand.
02-16-2020, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I find these interesting. But what I find really interesting is watching the video from Ricoh and comparing it to the videos on K3 or K1. The video on the bino- and monoculars focuses on showing how they actually work and handle in the hands of the user, and then back this up by high quality photos and videos. It is, to me, quite engaging and inspirational - "oh, I could use that when ..."

The official videos Ricoh made about the K3 and K1 seem to be scripted by an engineer for another engineer. It focuses on what I will call tech fetischits qualities - what feels like half a min. of macro shots of buttons with water droplets, then images of sensor and motherboard and description of pixel shift techonology. We are to marvel at this technological marvel with its impressive datas. It doesn't engage me at all.

I am likely the odd one here. How do you feel about this?

Last edited by H. Sapiens; 02-16-2020 at 01:48 AM. Reason: grammar
02-16-2020, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #15
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It just occurred to me - when this monocular starts being used on smart phones, will we have to start a new section in "Lenses" for it?