Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2020, 03:46 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I get the impression that some commenters here didn't really absorb the messages in the video, and just homed in on what these weren't.

I went to the Pentax binocular web pages and found a total of 28 offerings (a few of those were just colour variations) covering the range of most needs, including the ones mentioned here.

These new products are offering something that I imagine would be more difficult to produce in the larger objective sizes and magnifications – anything that comes apart and goes back together again that easily would need greater structural consideration with heavier components.

These are clearly aimed at concert-goers and people who travel light, not to mention young people who have expensive phones dangling out of their pockets and not much else being carried. They aren't necessarily aimed at photo-enthusiasts who are used to lugging large, expensive cameras and lenses, although those of us who do walk a lot with our gear tend to appreciate light extra gear.

A little more thought wouldn't go astray, before making negative comments. These are good ideas, and getting the Pentax name in front of a younger audience (who'll be around buying things for a long time after most of us here aren't) can't be bad for the rest of the range.

02-16-2020, 03:53 AM   #17
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
getting the Pentax name in front of a younger audience (who'll be around buying things for a long time after most of us here aren't) can't be bad for the rest of the range.
I agree. But you don't have to be young. My wife has Pentax binoculars (8x25 I think) which are great for bird watching and I would certainly consider the monocular for a smart phone (hers or mine).
08-03-2020, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
V series | Binoculars & Telescope | Products | RICOH IMAGING

These are now a real product scheduled for release. The Japanese language site says they will be available from 4th September 2020.
08-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I've had monoculars in lightweight kits for years. Loved the concept, hated the execution. This monocular fixes my major issue with focusing, will have to see if it would play well with my eyes. The macro stand is something I'd use. And that smart phone adapter is a good idea IMHO.

08-03-2020, 11:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I find it an interesting product for kids and for use with a smartphone. I was not able to find retail price though
08-04-2020, 01:32 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I find it an interesting product for kids and for use with a smartphone. I was not able to find retail price though
I think this is very interesting. Travelling for surveying projects this could be the ideal tool.
Available here:
BINOCULARS VD 4x20 WP
08-04-2020, 02:34 AM   #22
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Travelling for surveying projects this could be the ideal tool.
It is an interesting concept and a useful tool. With a 20mm objective, I can see the 4x binoculars or two 4x monoculars having an application (sharing without having to give up the view). They would also have enough light gathering power with about a 5mm exit pupil). But when the two individual units are fitted together to make a 16x telescope the exit pupil would be about 1.25mm by my estimation. That might be a bit more of a challenge.

08-05-2020, 01:04 PM   #23
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Registered for a full monocular kit preorder (monocular, cell phone attachment and macro stand at USD 199, monocular alone is USD 139) on us.ricoh-imaging.com. Lightweight, one-hand operation and water proof, sounds like a perfect thing for casual wild life watching while walking. When they initially offered it on their crowdfunding platform, everything was sold out on day 1, I was too late before I even tried.
08-06-2020, 12:41 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I think this is very interesting. Travelling for surveying projects this could be the ideal tool.
Available here:
BINOCULARS VD 4x20 WP
Even usefull for golf !
08-06-2020, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax has posted a new YouTube video for the binoculars. You can see it here:

I love my pentax 8x21 binoculars for theater and concerts, but I would certainly be open to some 4x with these cute, sensible features. I really like the whimsy and utility. Think of the little slide-out-windows in the bottom of most Pentax lens hoods. It's a delightful little touch. Very Pentax.

I'm quite impressed with the concept and with the marketing video.
08-06-2020, 10:46 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We are in the era of Citizen Science now. There are legions of naturalists out there documenting anything they can find using sites such as iNaturalist. Since the younger generations seem loathe to give up their smartphones, the smartphone adapter is a stroke of genius for this segment of the population.
08-07-2020, 12:01 AM   #27
Veteran Member

The VM 6x21 WP I could actually see as a nice tool for field biologists (I am but not field). You dont need to carry heavy equipment to do close up macro shots. That thing and a smartphone. Cool.
08-07-2020, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

(without having read anything ) - I'm wondering if they're using the new glass they've been working on for the prism in these to aid brightness?
08-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Brilliant!

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Makuake???????????????????? ? ??????????????????? - ???????????
Looks like Pentax are developing a couple of unique optical products. There's more to them both than initially meets the eye. You need to watch the videos... wait for it wait for it...
If they throw some money at it, they'll sell a BILLION of these!

I want one! Wish I had seen the crowdfunding earlier!

Cheers,
Cameron
08-09-2020, 02:58 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I have been considering this for a week or so now and I think that I will end up purchasing a set.
The smartphone adapter is interesting.
Most modern smartphone have decent cameras.
I for one would like to see how it goes with my Samsung s9+.