Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery
Ben's work has become some of my favorite to view. I am not just saying so because he uses Pentax.
There is a special quality to it that I find truly immersing and enchanting.

11-03-2008, 04:01 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Golly Shucks Guys..You are making me BLUSH...

Ben
11-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
The other day I presented my book to an art director at a major agency. He honed in on a couple of shots in my portfolio that were taken with the K20D and were original prints from one of my published works for a Fashion Magazine here in Paris. My book is very large and this specific image was a double page spread or just a bit under an A2 format. He looks at it and says, "nice to see you are shooting with MF". I asked what do you mean, film or digital MF? He said "Digital of course. What was it? A 39 MP back?"...I said "no, it was shot with a Pentax Digital camera, called the K20D." He said, "I didn't know Pentax have a pro digital camera. Do you mean the 645 with a digital back?"

I said "No it is about a 15 megapixel DSLR format camera that costs about 1000 euros..."
His jaw almost hit the floor. He started scrutinizing the image and said "C'est pas vrai"(that can't be true). "Yes it is" and he went on and on mumbling out loud. He must have observed the image for another couple of minutes and then said, "What ever works, what ever works..."

Ben
To paraphrase a recent ad campaign....

The Pentax K20D... $999 on your MasterCard...
The images you take with it... PRICELESS!

You just continue to prove that Pentax can do anything the other brands can do in the hands of a qualified operator!

Last edited by MRRiley; 11-04-2008 at 12:41 PM.
11-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Golly Shucks Guys..You are making me BLUSH...

Ben
Well, at least I have first hand experience Which reminds me....

11-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Well, at least I have first hand experience Which reminds me....
Wanna come to Paris soon? I have another editorial to shoot. I will have to charge you more money to assist me this time...5000 was not enough!!!
11-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Wanna come to Paris soon? I have another editorial to shoot. I will have to charge you more money to assist me this time...5000 was not enough!!!
What? You saving for a new 645D or something ?
11-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #52
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
thanks again for sharing your work and adding a bit of insight into your technique(s). great stuff and inspiring as always. too bad too many inspirations cost me $$$
11-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #53

this pictures are amazing ben..
really... i love them =)
what lightning did you use?

greetz migo

11-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sportyg Quote
really... i love them =)

greetz migo
West End Photo Shoot with photographer Benjamin Kanarek
11-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #55

thanks ben

thank you ben =) .. this are great informations..
i forgot to mention the PAul & JOe shoot
11-07-2008, 01:36 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sportyg Quote
really... i love them =)

greetz migo

For the opening shot I used a mix of flash, HMI cinema color corrected lights and Tungsten.

Ben
11-08-2008, 06:58 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommy Quote
I can't figure out when you could use shake as part of your technique when doing fashion photography. Care to point out an example of this?
Here is an older thread, where Benji gives some insights as to the special technique :

A little test..Anyone notice a technique I employed right at the beginning of the video where I am shown shooting around the first time of the video sequence?
I was shooting at 1/8th of a second mixing HMI cinema lights, tungsten and flash. You get a very subtle line around the body similar to a ring flash but not as obvious or over used.

See more, and the amazing results, at :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/7811-fashion-television-s...e-shoot-2.html

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
That makes tip #3 from you that has been very very helpful! Thanks. I think I'll live with the K10D another year in hopes the K20D upgrade uses the same sensor and addresses a few issues that are important to me.
There were also this one :
Post process Benjikan method. Examples [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
BTW, off topic, have you ever consider writing a book? And generally, how much leeway do you yourself get with art directors? A lot tend to micromanage a project to death. As a designer, I've been there, making horrible design decisions to please "Mr AD"...
There was a fun example of the Contrarian Ben, in a radio interview, where he had been told not to use yellow. (I think this is the one, cant quite make it work right now though) :
http://www.eravedesigns.com/erave/podcasts/part1.mp3

And yes, I know I follow forums too much

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Sorry for the confusion. No, I meant something as simple as: A camera with many pixels does not automatically yield better images. Main reasons for less than optimal usage of available pixels are: Out of focus, shake, bad lens, bad AA filter, too aggressive denoising, bad raw conversion. So, the K20D focus in Ben's images worked very well and the lens were superb as well. And lighting and Ben's experience eliminated the rest. That's all I wanted to say. Namely, that the K20D's 15MP are usable, actually.
Thanks, the explanation was helpful to me
11-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #58
Site Supporter

That is an excellent post Ben.

Once again you defy the odds and make the naysayers think outside their world as they know it. Well done and look forward to future posts!

Regards,
Marc
11-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #59
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As others have said, it's a stunning shot Ben. You've again proved the quality of Pentax with your talent and vision. Great job and thanks for sharing the story.
11-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
What? You saving for a new 645D or something ?
I need some money for the lobotomy I was all excited about.