Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2020, 06:01 AM - 4 Likes   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From their website - what is that shadow....

10-01-2020, 06:15 AM - 7 Likes   #62
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Looks like "firmware" to me
10-01-2020, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
One can never be too careful when using 360o cameras!
10-01-2020, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like this product is generating some excitement. Based of course on the five pages of comments of course (cough...).

11-21-2020, 11:33 PM - 1 Like   #65
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
There was a review of the Vecnos IQUI in the latest issue of Nippon Camera.

It is really designed not to expose any kind of complexity to the user. You just switch it on and it is automatic from there on. Some typical features that more knowledgeable users would use are not available, such as RAW capture and a tripod mount. Instead of the tripod mount, you get a rubber stand that this like a ring that goes around the base of the stick. The idea is that if you want those kind of features, you are more of a Theta user.

It is extremely small, only being 139mm long and 60g in weight. It produces images of 57600x2880 after the images from its four lenses have been stitched. The app that goes with it is aimed at creating quick images and video clips to share on SNS. There are themed effects, and Vecnos intends to update the effects on a seasonal basis. This app also work with Theta if you want those effects.

It's difficult to directly observe the performance from still images on a magazine page. The ones I saw looked a bit washed out compared to Z1 images, but that is to be expected. What was mentioned in the text is that since this is designed for taking images of people at relatively closer distances, it has been optimized for that. In particular, the four lens arrangement makes the stitching process work better, presumably because they are not such extreme wide-angle lenses in the first place. This helps with keeping faces look natural in the foreground.

It's interesting that Ricoh Imaging doesn't seem to have any mention of Vecnos at all on their page. Even on page where they show the family of brands (Pentax, GR, Theta and WG) they don't have Vecnos. It seems that they really do want this brand to be seen as different and that it won't be sold through the same channels. Presumably they have some kind of idea for marketing to their target market, but I don't suppose that is a priority at the moment with the device not available and most people not able to gather freely.
11-22-2020, 01:06 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Man, I hate to say this guys but this has loads of commercial potential compared to the K3 III

If their website is correct they have managed to have effertless smartphone integration. As a Pentax user that's a small miracle. In 3 years development time Pentax have tweaked the position of the middle finger on the grip and supersized the viewfinder with a couple of percent.

Myself, I wouldn't mind bringing one on travels. It would be a fantastic way of conncecting with people (my travels usually go to Asia, Africa, India etc.) to grab a shot with everyone included and have it online the next minute.

IQUISPIN

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 11-22-2020 at 01:39 AM.
11-22-2020, 02:54 AM - 4 Likes   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
As a Pentax user that's a small miracle. In 3 years development time Pentax have tweaked the position of the middle finger on the grip and supersized the viewfinder with a couple of percent.

We aren't going to talk about the 50% increase in fps, to a best-in-class level, or tripling the AF points on the previous models, right?

11-22-2020, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #68
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

this has loads of commercial potential compared to the K3 III

If their website is correct they have managed to have effertless smartphone integration. As a Pentax user that's a small miracle. In 3 years development time Pentax have tweaked the position of the middle finger on the grip and supersized the viewfinder with a couple of percent.
Bigger, brighter optical viewfinder (arguably best in class, regardless of brand)
New (to Pentax) 26MP sensor maxing out at ISO 1.6M
New imaging engine
New 101 point (25 cross type) AF
12fps continuous shooting
Additional physical and touch screen control
WiFi / Bluetooth / USB 3.2 connectivity

That might not be much to you, but to those of us interested in a DSLR rather than a pen-sized, small sensor 360 degree camera, it matters greatly. You can't compare the two, nor the advancements (and relevance of them) in each. Totally different products and markets...

For those that want and need it, though, the Vecnos camera looks pretty cool
11-22-2020, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

Man, I hate to say this guys but this has loads of commercial potential compared to the K3 III

Myself, I wouldn't mind bringing one on travels. It would be a fantastic way of conncecting with people (my travels usually go to Asia, Africa, India etc.) to grab a shot with everyone included and have it online the next minute.

IQUISPIN
No, you don't hate it at all. This bashing is very much intentional; you have to make blatantly false statements about the K-3 III to make it work. And it's very much off-topic.
I don't get why some people can't appreciate a product without attacking others.
11-22-2020, 10:18 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No, you don't hate it at all. This bashing is very much intentional; you have to make blatantly false statements about the K-3 III to make it work. And it's very much off-topic.
I don't get why some people can't appreciate a product without attacking others.
Because that the only way to make people think they actually have a point ?
11-22-2020, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #71
Loyal Site Supporter

Starting to watch this thread now for civility.
11-22-2020, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
We aren't going to talk about the 50% increase in fps, to a best-in-class level, or tripling the AF points on the previous models, right?
Heavens no after all the K-3 MkIII is just a spiffed up K-3 and nothing more and that little VECNOS is going to change the world of photography..........you do know that don't you???
11-22-2020, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Looks like "firmware" to me
This has to be the reply of the week.......no the month!!
11-22-2020, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #74
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
This has to be the reply of the week.......no the month!!
I'm available for wedding receptions, bar mitzvahs and corporate events, subject to local pandemic restrictions...

Even at school, I was a natural class clown
11-22-2020, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Even at school, I was a natural class clown
You do give off that scary vibe... this explains it!