Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 122 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2020, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm available for wedding receptions, bar mitzvahs and corporate events, subject to local pandemic restrictions...

Even at school, I was a natural class clown
On the post of the month scale you registered a 9.8........would have been a 10 if you had added a Badda-Bing at the end!

12-19-2020, 07:00 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Any user's experience for this new device ?
12-19-2020, 09:53 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Any user's experience for this new device ?
Not yet. I'm actually looking for improved still and videos quality in my 360 work, and the Vecnos seems to more about ease of use and convenience.

It does strike me as odd to have both the Theta and Vecnos brands. It's hard enough to launch and establish one brand, let alone two. This should have been another Theta model.

Right now, Ricoh has Pentax, Theta, Vecnos, and Ricoh itself. Unwieldy.
12-19-2020, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #79
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Not yet. I'm actually looking for improved still and videos quality in my 360 work, and the Vecnos seems to more about ease of use and convenience.

It does strike me as odd to have both the Theta and Vecnos brands. It's hard enough to launch and establish one brand, let alone two. This should have been another Theta model.

I'm pretty sure Theta comes under the Ricoh brand.

According to a recent discussion I had with a Ricoh Imaging UK rep, the Ricoh brand is used for compact / fixed-lens cameras, with Pentax for DSLRs - which is pretty clear delineation. Vecnos complicates matters a little, but it's not so bad...

12-19-2020, 11:19 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Vecnos is a separate startup
This needs to emphasized. Ricoh provided startup capital and presumably supplies components and technical assistance, but the company is run by former members of the Theta development team. Checking out reviews on Amazon, four two things stand out: the software needs work, the device is under-powered (so data transfer is slow, the battery life is too short and it gets hot).
12-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Ricoh's unlimited ecosystem
12-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
This needs to emphasized. Ricoh provided startup capital and presumably supplies components and technical assistance, but the company is run by former members of the Theta development team. Checking out reviews on Amazon, four two things stand out: the software needs work, the device is under-powered (so data transfer is slow, the battery life is too short and it gets hot).
interesting for them to run into such problems after all the experience they should have gained with the Thetas

12-20-2020, 01:23 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Ricoh Imaging currently used five brands:
  1. G (BtoB)
  2. GR (BtoC)
  3. Pentax (mainly BtoC)
  4. Theta (BtoB and BtoC; more and more the former)
  5. WG (BtoC)

Vecnos is a separate (BtoC) venture.
12-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #84
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh Imaging currently used five brands:
  1. G (BtoB)
  2. GR (BtoC)
  3. Pentax (mainly BtoC)
  4. Theta (BtoB and BtoC; more and more the former)
  5. WG (BtoC)

Vecnos is a separate (BtoC) venture.
G, GR, WG and Theta aren't brands though... are they? They're product lines within the Ricoh brand, right? So we have Ricoh for fixed lens products, and Pentax for ILC. Vecnos, as you rightly describe it, is a separate venture...
12-20-2020, 08:22 PM   #85
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure Theta comes under the Ricoh brand.

According to a recent discussion I had with a Ricoh Imaging UK rep, the Ricoh brand is used for compact / fixed-lens cameras, with Pentax for DSLRs - which is pretty clear delineation. Vecnos complicates matters a little, but it's not so bad...
You are right. My bad.
12-21-2020, 03:28 AM   #86
Pentaxian

G, GR, WG and Theta aren't brands though... are they? They're product lines within the Ricoh brand, right? So we have Ricoh for fixed lens products, and Pentax for ILC. Vecnos, as you rightly describe it, is a separate venture...
Yet they call them brands in the English version of the Japanese website and ブランド, phonetically 'burando', translation 'brand' in the Japanese version.
12-21-2020, 03:50 AM   #87
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yet they call them brands in the English version of the Japanese website and ブランド, phonetically 'burando', translation 'brand' in the Japanese version.
Indeed so... but then, if you look at a Pentax DSLR, it has "PENTAX" emblazoned on the front (Ricoh is mentioned elsewhere in small lettering, admittedly), while G, GR, WG and Theta cameras all have "RICOH" emblazoned on them along with the model series & number. The website references are a little confusing, no doubt, and perhaps even Ricoh is a little confused about use of the term "brand". Nevertheless, in discussion with Ricoh Imaging UK, it was clear to me that the G, GR, WG and Theta cameras are considered product lines within the fixed-lens RICOH brand. I can't say whether that view is shared throughout the company, of course...
12-21-2020, 02:18 PM   #88

Indeed so... but then, if you look at a Pentax DSLR, it has "PENTAX" emblazoned on the front (Ricoh is mentioned elsewhere in small lettering, admittedly), while G, GR, WG and Theta cameras all have "RICOH" emblazoned on them along with the model series & number. The website references are a little confusing, no doubt, and perhaps even Ricoh is a little confused about use of the term "brand". Nevertheless, in discussion with Ricoh Imaging UK, it was clear to me that the G, GR, WG and Theta cameras are considered product lines within the fixed-lens RICOH brand. I can't say whether that view is shared throughout the company, of course...
would make sense ...
12-21-2020, 06:51 PM   #89
Pentaxian

This depends partly on how the company is organized internally.
At one time, General Motors had separate divisions which handled marketing of their Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Saturn, and GMC brands, but manufacture of the vehicles was intermixed; for example, we purchased our 1993 Saturn because a man at our local stamping plant had so much trouble satisfying the Saturn assembly plant down in Tennessee. For many years, there was no real difference - other than chrome - between many of the models other than Saturn, and one plant would assemble automobiles for several divisions. By the time we purchased our 2005 Saturn Ion, even Saturn had been merged into this system, and our car differs little from a Chevrolet Impala.
12-22-2020, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #90
Pentaxian

^ We know how Ricoh are organised:

- on the one hand there is Ricoh Imaging Co., Ltd that manages the G, GR, Pentax, Theta and WG product lines (I'm purposely avoiding the word 'brand' )
- on the other hand, there is Vecnos Inc., a separate venture with specific distribution channels.

G and WG products are ODM products. GR and most Pentax products are designed and manufactured by Ricoh Imaging. Theta products are designed by Ricoh Imaging but their manufacture is contracted. Vecnos products seem to be designed by Vecnos; their manufacture is contracted.

Last edited by Mistral75; 01-03-2021 at 03:35 PM.