Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2020, 10:59 AM   #91
Pentaxian

We have indeed to differenciate brands from product-lines.

03-17-2022, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #92
Pentaxian

R.I.P. Vecnos.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ricoh:
The Vecnos business suffered from the COVID-19 pandemic, which caused travel opportunities to plummet. This situation forced a major review of that business, resulting in a decision to shut it down.
Source: https://www.ricoh.com/-/Media/Ricoh/Sites/com/IR/pdf/presentation_text_2021.pdf page #6.

03-17-2022, 05:38 PM - 2 Likes   #93
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I think the closure of the Vencnos business was announced on December 27 actually. It didn't get much press, probably because it was closed before the product was even released, as far as I know. It was announced with some articles about it and pricing, and then a delay was announced, and then is was just shut down.

You have to feel a little sorry for the people who advocated for doing this as a spin-off business. The idea was to market a small 360 camera for people to record social gatherings - and then the whole world was prevented from having social gatherings for a couple of years. There's almost a comical irony about the situation. I'm not sure the venture would have succeeded anyway, but the pandemic ensured that it was a non-starter.
03-19-2022, 12:51 AM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That presentation slide and supporting text - whilst brief - actually seems pretty positive for the camera business. It doesn't appear that Ricoh is hedging its bets on whether to remain in the market or not... rather, it seems to have made a firm decision to push ahead with this "fresh start". Shame about Vecnos, though - at least for those involved. The IQUI 360 wasn't a product that interested me personally, but I'm sure there are a lot of disappointed folks who had high hopes for the business. I wonder if it's completely dead in the water, or if someone else will pick it up...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-19-2022 at 03:03 AM.