Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2020, 10:21 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Am I the only one who finds this spin-off odd? Why spin-off something that looked to be successful for Ricoh?
This something doesn't exist yet. Ricoh have spun off the 360° pen project, not the Theta cameras.

03-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Am I the only one who finds this spin-off odd? Why spin-off something that looked to be successful for Ricoh?
I don't think it's that odd, good way to try to spin something up. Interesting product incubation, try to get some different market share.
03-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

What I find most interesting about this news is that the 360 camera announced is likely to be the first of several new products, or even product families, under this new Ricoh startup:

As the DPR intro says:

Ricoh has announced it’s created a new startup called Vecnos, which will focus on developing new specialty cameras, including its first device, a new 360-degree camera designed specifically with selfies in mind.

So what else could be under development? A drone system?
03-10-2020, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I know the Thetas certainly qualify for coverage by the forum...but what do you guys think about listing Vecnos cameras in the database?
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
According the Wired interview with Shu Ubukata:

Given that, I think Vecnos cameras should be included in the database, and treated as part of the Ricoh product family we support in these forums
Absolutely.

03-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #20
Pentaxian

If camera resources were shared between Pentax cameras/lenses and Theta, what's going to happen to Pentax resources when the Theta group is spun off from Ricoh?
03-10-2020, 12:28 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

Ricoh, please make a startup for a film camera. Thank you.
03-10-2020, 12:28 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
According the Wired interview with Shu Ubukata:

Given that, I think Vecnos cameras should be included in the database, and treated as part of the Ricoh product family we support in these forums
I second this.

03-10-2020, 12:29 PM - 4 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Ricoh, please make a startup for a film camera. Thank you.
It would be called a stop-down company, not startup.
03-10-2020, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Semantics...
Please make it happen Ricoh
03-10-2020, 12:39 PM - 4 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For such a spin-off to develop correctly, they would have to give it proper exposure. Otherwise I think it would slide into obscurity immediately after arriving... but maybe I'm being too negative?
03-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I guess Ricoh figured they are to large, stiff and slow a company to handle releasing and supporting innovative consumer products.
03-10-2020, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I guess Ricoh figured they are to large, stiff and slow a company to handle releasing and supporting innovative consumer products.
There is nothing mysterious here - a way for a large company to test new market(s) without risking much.
03-10-2020, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks more like the Doctor’s (original) sonic screwdriver.

Surely, to give truly spherical images, it should have a fourth lens on the bottom.

Ricoh has been developing its range of imaging products in other areas, as well, principally automotive applications from what I’ve previously read. It seems odd that this 360 degree imaging project should be the one to be spun off, with other investment from outside Ricoh. It tells me that Ricoh doesn’t consider it to be a core business activity, which seems paradoxical. After all, much of the initial development work has been done with the Theta products.
03-10-2020, 03:03 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I don't think it's that odd, good way to try to spin something up
That kind of spin off indicates that Ricoh understood that the Ricoh group is a B2B organization not good at B2C, so they spun off this 360 degree consumer type product to let it organize for B2C and rip financial returns via holding shares of it. That's not uncommon move, I've already seen such spin-offs. What I don't like about it is Pentax and Theta are also consumer product lines. So if Ricoh spun off the 360 consumer line, what happens to GR and Pentax cameras?

---------- Post added 10-03-20 at 23:06 ----------

I second this.
I'd even open up the forum to Canon, Nikon and Sony. And gradually change the name of the forum to generic, while still keeping the same concept as it is now.
03-10-2020, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

^ Vecnos is a separate startup, which will focus on developing speciality cameras, including its first device, a 360-degree camera designed with selfies in mind.

The Theta team will remain within Ricoh.