Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
my old body needs replacement too

oh, perhaps you were talking about a camera
indeed
04-30-2020, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #63

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax may want to think about actually releasing something one day... specs, hard information, maybe even: a Camera!.. At this rate it seems like a couple more iterations and THE FREAKING RASPBERRY PI FOUNDATION will be making more advanced interchangeable lens cameras. I am sure they are already winning on video performance, value for money, and customization.

Raspberry Pi announces $50 12-megapixel camera with interchangeable lenses - The Verge
04-30-2020, 11:24 AM - 3 Likes   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by revelstoked Quote
Pentax may want to think about actually releasing something one day... specs, hard information, maybe even: a Camera!.. At this rate it seems like a couple more iterations and THE FREAKING RASPBERRY PI FOUNDATION will be making more advanced interchangeable lens cameras. I am sure they are already winning on video performance, value for money, and customization.

Raspberry Pi announces $50 12-megapixel camera with interchangeable lenses - The Verge
Why don't you buy the Raspberry camera, then? Since it's oh-so-much-superior to a Pentax

I'll hazard to guess that half the reason why Pentax is where it is today is because of the endless @*#& people are spewing about them. People on a mission to do as much damage as possible.
The other half has to be shared between Pentax Corporation, Hoya and Ricoh.

04-30-2020, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
...with musical accompaniment??

The Goons 'The Raspberry song' 1978 45 rpm - YouTube
04-30-2020, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure whether you're serious in comparing the Pi stuff to fully-fledged, integrated camera systems, but it seems that you're not enamored with the Pentax brand or, by implication, Ricoh Imaging. I'd guess that your frustration in Ricoh arises because they don't reveal their plans or schedules -- or products -- before the company is ready to do so.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-30-2020 at 12:26 PM.
04-30-2020, 12:33 PM - 4 Likes   #67
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Nurse! Nurse! Mr Revelstoked is out of his bed again!

04-30-2020, 12:37 PM - 2 Likes   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

So it's a 1/2.3" sensor on a literal board. I'm sure it will be very practical.
04-30-2020, 12:42 PM - 5 Likes   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like a Pi in the Sky idea!! You can't be serious!!
04-30-2020, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Why don't you buy the Raspberry camera, then? Since it's oh-so-much-superior to a Pentax

I'll hazard to guess that half the reason why Pentax is where it is today is because of the endless @*#& people are spewing about them. People on a mission to do as much damage as possible.
The other half has to be shared between Pentax Corporation, Hoya and Ricoh.
Don’t forget to leave a big percentage to cover the Covid-19 virus!! I don’t know what production is like in Asia right now, but the virus cannot be helping any.
04-30-2020, 01:08 PM - 5 Likes   #71
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
So it's a 1/2.3" sensor on a literal board. I'm sure it will be very practical.
In fairness, the Pentax Q used a small sensor and worked brilliantly. It was C and CS lens compatible too... and released EIGHT years ago

Still, I'm sure the new Pi camera will be fun - so long as you don't mind carrying the camera module, Pi 4B SBC, 5v 3a power supply or battery pack, LCD screen module, control pad, and some sort of (probably 3D-printed) case. As for it being value for money like the OP suggested, I think a used Q would come in cheaper than that little lot, with better stills IQ
04-30-2020, 01:17 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Nothing new it seems...
04-30-2020, 01:22 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As for it being value for money like the OP suggested, I think a used Q would come in cheaper than that little lot, with better stills IQ
I think the point about the Q is valid. The post by @revelstoked is brief, so it doesn't provide any explanation of their certainty of the Pi's superior performance, value, and customization.

I am sure they are already winning on video performance, value for money, and customization.
- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-30-2020 at 01:28 PM.
04-30-2020, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
In fairness, the Pentax Q used a small sensor and worked brilliantly. It was C and CS lens compatible too... and released EIGHT years ago

Still, I'm sure the new Pi camera will be fun - so long as you don't mind carrying the camera module, Pi 4B SBC, 5v 3a power supply or battery pack, LCD screen module, control pad, and some sort of (probably 3D-printed) case. As for it being value for money like the OP suggested, I think a used Q would come in cheaper than that little lot, with better stills IQ
And that was exactly my point with the "on a literal board" part, Mike . It's a setup that mostly works on a tripod, from what I can see (or a Ghostbusters backpack ).
04-30-2020, 01:58 PM - 2 Likes   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Not quite in the same league as Pentax, but very interesting to the average geek (like me). This will give much better results for wildlife cams based on the raspi. I have 4 Pi zeros with IR cams around the garden to check on hedgehogs, mice, toads and nesting birds. Just need to wait for one of these without the IR filter. I'm sure the Auto 110 lenses will work with a suitable adapter
Closed Thread