Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Since the time that I saw the last roadmap I'm thinking about that, will be an 400 mm f/5.6 or 600 mm f/4? I think it will be DA* 600 mm f/4, because you can get 400 mm f/5.6 by adding.the 1.4x TC SDM introduced at Photokina to the DA * 300 mm f/4. Time will tell

10-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it will be either a 400/4 (to replace, with the crop factor, the old 600/4) or a 170-400/5,6 (to replace the old 250-600/5,6).

Outside the tendency of reproposing old field of view, the most logical choice would be a 500/4,5, distinctly longer than 300mm, but not excedlingly expensive like a 600/4.
10-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Eurostar is probably close...I'm hoping 400/4 or 500/4

The only way it will be a "consumer" version is mirror--gosh I hope that's not the case...or slow 5.6 or worse--a "why bother" lens.

Supertele means not hand holdable so size and weight shouldn't matter. Supertele also means over $2000 so broad market fit shouldn't matter.

Presume this to be a * lens--why go bigger without the weather sealing etc.?

The last Pentax 400/5.6 was the FA* which was a flop. Too slow for professional use and the IQ was laughable. A rare boner for the * lens lineup. For sure a remake of this lens won't be the new supertele.
10-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
600/4 just to shut those nikon canon freaks up
You think your kidding but a lot of upper-end shooters (I say upper end because not all are pros, a lot of birders use like a 5 or 600mm and aren't pros)However they look up in the lens system line and if they dont see a few long tell's they skip to the next. Pentax really needs to have (even if they are by order only) a 300 f2.8 500 f4 and 600f4 in their line again (and the thing that gets me is that samsung shows a FA*600mm F4 with their stuff but PPS can't get one for loan or even order them to buy WTF, I have to go to Jp. if I want to buy/order one, US "can't")

I would love them to make a DA* 250-600 F4 (old was 5.6) but with digital allowing slightly smaller... you know, wishful thinking. Nikons best selling tell is the 200-400 F4 for a reason, good range, price and speed

Also A re-introduction of the 400mm F5.6 wouldnt hurt for the more consumer oriented market

10-30-2008, 10:33 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking at that Road Map, I can't see what you guys are talking about. There is a dotted line through Super Telephoto and DA* 300mm. They probably have plans for something in the future, but its not indicated on the Sep 2008 Map that I can see.

http://www.pentax.jp/english/imaging/digital/lens/roadmap.pdf
10-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Yes, a 400/5.6 could be a consumer priced option. But due to the poor optics on the FA* it would probably be best to reconfigure a totally new non-FF version to keep it lighter and less expensive.
My hopes still ride on a "real" supertele: 400/4, 500/4, 600/4 or even a fast zoom. I really like the 250-600/5.6, but that slow speed is a big problem during peak bird and animal times--dawn and dusk. I often have to wait until mid morning to whip out the big zoom (don't bother suggesting shooting at 1600 or something, I still struggle going clear to 400 and am much happier at 100).
10-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #22

Do not forget that the FA* 600/4 is available new. They make them on order.

Thinks the price is arround 8000 euro.

Guido
10-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Its on Roadmap , "DA SuperTelephoto" in a rectangular box

It should happen, but sometimes it takes two years for roadmapped items to get released. Example is 60-250 f4.

I passed on buying a 600mm FA locally a few months ago. Like New in the Trunk with the 6 dropins and 150mm front filter. an estate consignment. Its shocking how supersized this lens is. 17 pounds is way too heavy. The shop finailly sold it. The current canon version weighs 11 pounds. For three years I use to own a 13 pound 400mm 2.8. Insane optical quality but 13 pounds is too heavy for me. Because of this I knew the 600mm FA f4 was an anchor that I'd never use. The price was killer: $4,000 plus 7.4% tax.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Looking at that Road Map, I can't see what you guys are talking about. There is a dotted line through Super Telephoto and DA* 300mm. They probably have plans for something in the future, but its not indicated on the Sep 2008 Map that I can see.

http://www.pentax.jp/english/imaging/digital/lens/roadmap.pdf

10-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Its on Roadmap , "DA SuperTelephoto" in a rectangular box
Yeah, but that line goes through the DA* 300mm and to the 300mm at the top of the chart. In other words the SuperTelephoto triangle is under the 300mm column. I would interpret that as a DA* 300mm f2.8 before I would a 400mm or greater.
10-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #25
Site Supporter

As I understand the featherweight Canon lens is in a primarily magnesium barrel. Big problem anywhere near salt spray, sea shores or salted winter roads. Even a fractional part of magnesium is death in salt situations. Plus, have they resorted to less glass and more plastic lens elements? I don't know...
Plus, if this is another "how does Pentax compare" issue...well, Pentax has never compared favorably to Nikon or Canon in the small format arena. Those of us who are Pentax freaks prefer Pentax regardless of what a Canon weighs or how many new bodies they release this year. I can guarantee in advance that both N and C will have more whizbangs to offer this year and will win the specification chart wars with their products every time. Pentax has never seemed to give a rip and neither do most Pentax freaks.
10-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Final comment--on my way out of town--We've all been misstating the Pentax 600/4 weight--me included. Pentax lists it as 6450 grams on the instruction manual. That's ONLY 14.4 pounds. I previously owned the F*600/4 which has a longer hood and weighs more than the FA* "current" model.
Also, regarding the lightweight Canon...because their lens hood is separate (so you can drop it down the hill you are shooting on) I bet they don't count it's weight. Add a pound. The Pentax hood is built-in so the weight is included. Do they count the weight of the tripod collar? Since it's removeable and they were trying for a light spec. I'll bet it's not included in the weight. Add another pound. Not sure about Pentax collar weight. Additionally, the Pentax 600 comes standard with a front protective filter that is very heavily built and since it's part of the optical formula it is included in the weight specs. Does C include a PF filter and it's weight? Likely not, add another pound for rugged build 150mm filter like the Pentax.
So if Pentax includes the tripod collar in their weight specs and Canon does not include hood, collar or PF filter...then theirs weighs somewhere around 14 to 14.5 pounds in ready to shoot condition. Gee, that's within a pound of the Pentax! Even if Pentax doesn't count the collar in their specs. If they do, Canon has no weight advantage at all!
Fact is, superteles are meant to be shot from very heavy duty tripods and heavy duty heads. A pound or two makes absolutely no difference unless you are backpacking in which few do with a 600/4.
I have a very picky scale which I'll use next week when I return to see what my 600/4 really weighs.
And heck, who cares? We all want to know what the new supertele will be. The FA* series is old news.
10-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Salt? What salt?

I'm high and dry in Colorado. I'd admit i never consider salt or humidity an issue.

No clue on whether 500mm f4 IS has plasticy lens elements. Canon makes their own glass so I'd like to assume its glass and not plastic. For $5800 I'd like to think its all glass. Anyways, the 600mm f4 IS and 500mm f4 IS are out of my league price wise though as someone noted above eos amatures do buy these for birding. In a perfect world, where dropping $4100 on a lens made sense I'd add the 300mm 2.8 IS L eos. But thats a lot of money and this is a hobby for me. I do own both canon 1.4x and 2x teleconverters and 300mm 2.8 is supposed to be a superb pairing, from what I've read and seen at websites. I know first hand the two teleconverters work exceptionally well with my 70-200mm 2.8 IS L: Sharp and fast autofocus. On a tripod I've even stacked them with better results than I anticipated I'd achieve.

I think its great pentax has roadmapped a 1.4x sdm teleconverter. I wonder when it will be buyable? And for what cost? Aren't nikon's over $400 a piece?

That all said I did really consider buying the FA 600mm f4 for $4,000 to resell. Seemed a heck of a deal on a lens one can still buy out of Japan for $8,900. But at 17 pounds it made no sense if I wanted to keep it.Too much weight for me. Instead I posted its existence on a couple forum threads and someone out of state got it. My local pentax rep wanted to buy it untill Hoya Buyout of Pentax terminated his job.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
As I understand the featherweight Canon lens is in a primarily magnesium barrel. Big problem anywhere near salt spray, sea shores or salted winter roads. Even a fractional part of magnesium is death in salt situations. Plus, have they resorted to less glass and more plastic lens elements? I don't know...
Plus, if this is another "how does Pentax compare" issue...well, Pentax has never compared favorably to Nikon or Canon in the small format arena. Those of us who are Pentax freaks prefer Pentax regardless of what a Canon weighs or how many new bodies they release this year. I can guarantee in advance that both N and C will have more whizbangs to offer this year and will win the specification chart wars with their products every time. Pentax has never seemed to give a rip and neither do most Pentax freaks.
10-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I dont care what they buuild it (600mm F4) out of as long as its generaly durrable (normal conditions) great optics and reasonable (sub $8000) and can get it here in the US, and that PPS can get one to lone out to the PPS members.
10-31-2008, 03:41 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I know it will probably never happen, but I would so like to see a DA*135-400/4 or similar.

Wim
10-31-2008, 10:03 AM   #30

link me!

"the latest pentax lens roadmap"?

i've searched and searched it, but i can't find it! they took it off of the japanese site, i thought...

Can somebody please give me a link to the roadmap?