Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Oh Marc, I feel bad for not explaining in more detail. I'll be going in to the lodge by snowmobile and staying with the Swedish women's ski team. I kind of needed you to carry the gear to a remote outpost near the deer rutting area. Twice a day, dawn and dusk, I and my Swedish friends are going to come in via snowcoach (the champagne tour) and hopefully, you'll have everything set up for us in advance. I already took the liberty of having the airline bill you directly on the non-refundable tickets, so I guess you're in for the travel cost--including mine. By the way, the trail along the creek requires multiple fording and may be a bit much for the snowshoes.
We'll talk later in case you have questions. As of right now, the land owner is unwilling to allow anyone other than myself to photograph in the area. Maybe next year?
Good thing you were formerly a world class endurance bicyclist as the terrain is quite rugged and steep.

11-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #62
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Oh Marc, I feel bad for not explaining in more detail. I'll be going in to the lodge by snowmobile and staying with the Swedish women's ski team. I kind of needed you to carry the gear to a remote outpost near the deer rutting area. Twice a day, dawn and dusk, I and my Swedish friends are going to come in via snowcoach (the champagne tour) and hopefully, you'll have everything set up for us in advance. I already took the liberty of having the airline bill you directly on the non-refundable tickets, so I guess you're in for the travel cost--including mine. By the way, the trail along the creek requires multiple fording and may be a bit much for the snowshoes.
We'll talk later in case you have questions. As of right now, the land owner is unwilling to allow anyone other than myself to photograph in the area. Maybe next year?
Good thing you were formerly a world class endurance bicyclist as the terrain is quite rugged and steep.
If it sounds too good to be true... (even for you)...

I'll bring the hip waders... I suspect it's not for the stream either!!
11-10-2008, 06:57 PM   #63
Site Supporter

lol stay in touch!
11-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #64
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
This is some very nice Zebra photo! Unfortunately, it is heavily scaled down for the web. Assuming, the zebras are some 1 mile away, my 1 inch resolution guess would mean that you would still see the white in the zebra's eyes -- when viewed at full rez. Is it true?

BTW, turbulence is ok with short exposure times (stopping down helps too). Aerosol particles are much worse. The African desert probably isn't such a bad place for long distance shots -- because it is dry.
I certainly didn't mean to imply -these- zebras were @ 1 mile... [edit: and I should have said 1km... 1 mile is just too far period] I was using an instance where there was some good action "around the watering hole" in the crater nowhere near where we were allowed to drive one afternoon which made me understand 1st hand what I'd read by one of those famed safari photographers saying "you can never really be too long on Safari". Of course I also learned that's also only if you have extra bodies so you have shorter lenses on it/them ready to go @ the same time..

But in any case, you had me sure my photo fails the rez test you describe as no whites are seen in the eye. [full rez can be had here: imgp5365 ... link to full rez in the lower left ]
But the reality is, out of dozens if not over a hundreds of Zebra photos I have, I have to come to the conclusion that Zebras don't show any white ... all iris + pupil (I may have learned that from the guide, but forgot; had to re-learn from my photos ). Just one example: imgp4611

I'll take this opportunity to share a little story about that image I posted before. The sequence of images taken then and immediately after (1st link above) exemplifies one of my frustrations. I knew there was a fantastic shot of the zebra's if we would be just askew to the line they were walking. I asked the guide to pull the Land Rover up after taking the photo posted. I said "right there!" but instead of stopping immediately from about 5mph, he slowly came to a stop over about 50 feet [argh!]. Thereby going too far and making me lose the angle, making the difference between a 'nice' photo and a killer photo. I took a lot of decent photos but few killer photos. There were few photos where I was able to be at the 'right' angle on the subject that I wanted.

Last edited by m8o; 11-10-2008 at 10:34 PM.
11-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #65
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm waiting to see if the Tamron 18-270mm will be coming out in Pentax mount.
11-11-2008, 05:08 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
the reality is, out of dozens if not over a hundreds of Zebra photos I have, I have to come to the conclusion that Zebras don't show any white ... all iris + pupil
My mistake. And right, I once noticed that for horses as well.
[full rez can be had here: imgp5365
my photo fails the rez test you describe as no whites are seen in the eye.
Even full size, this is an amazing photo. As far as resolution goes, one can clearly see some image degradation due to the distance of zebras.

I am pretty sure that the TC made no difference in this particular image, i.e., cropping from 300mm wouldn't have been any different. To test it, I downsized to 50%, then enlarged to 200% and compared to the original. No detail was lost, except for some minor turbulence details.
I'll take this opportunity to share a little story about that image I posted before.
Thanks for sharing this with us. Are there self-guided tours?
11-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #67
Veteran Member

I think the upcoming super tele will be DA* 300/2.8. But I sure wouldn’t mind a 400/4. (500/4.5 wouldn't be too bad either ).

Some might be interested in a 250-400/4, but I think they’ll start out with some longer primes.

But in any case, you had me sure my photo fails the rez test you describe as no whites are seen in the eye. [full rez can be had here: imgp5365 ... link to full rez in the lower left ]
But the reality is, out of dozens if not over a hundreds of Zebra photos I have, I have to come to the conclusion that Zebras don't show any white ... all iris + pupil (I may have learned that from the guide, but forgot; had to re-learn from my photos ). Just one example: imgp4611
Great zebra shots. How many times have you been to Africa ?
11-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #68
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
My mistake. And right, I once noticed that for horses as well.Even full size, this is an amazing photo. ... Thanks for sharing this with us. Are there self-guided tours?
Thanx again. I was hoping so with that one. It was shot @ f/2.8 btw (longitudinal -I think it's called- CAs visible @ full-rez) . I don't know if it was evident; the focus was actually the zebra smack dab in the center (I know, I know), which , is in eye-line with the one zebra looking at us and to the right. I don't know if they were just facing each other in amorous fashion or facing-off against each other, but that with the rest of the herd walking in one general direction, and all the dust, was the goal of what I wanted to capture.

You can indeed rent your own vehicle and drive the parks alone (we saw one group of your people doing that the whole 10 days), or do that and hire a guide, or have a full guided but private (not group) tour . But if you're taking care of your vehicle and lodging, it's unlikely you'll be renting a Land Rover with pop-up roof; or renting one that won't break down! The organization we used, Thomson Safari, sells their vehicles to the [ahem] 'lesser' agencies after 100K miles. We saw a surprisingly high number of Land Rovers run by tours that buy used, broken down in the middle of the national parks each day; with lions potentially near by. That's not a position I'd want to find myself in; further not one I'd want to be responsible for getting myself out of...

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
I think the upcoming super tele will be DA* 300/2.8. But I sure wouldn’t mind a 400/4. (500/4.5 wouldn't be too bad either ).

Some might be interested in a 250-400/4, but I think they’ll start out with some longer primes.

Great zebra shots. How many times have you been to Africa ?
How 'bout Pentax finally deliver on this one in DA guise... K 300/2

Been to Tanzania just the once. Private reserves in South Africa and other places come highly recommended. There, you can definitely get by with a shorter lens, as the guides are free to drive anywhere and drive right up to the animals; They also go out @ night and drive you right up to the lion prides while on the prowl or hunt. Not something you can do in any of the national parks in Tanzania; you have to stick to the official road and be out by sun-down.

11-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Thanx again. I was hoping so with that one. It was shot @ f/2.8 btw (longitudinal -I think it's called- CAs visible @ full-rez) . I don't know if it was evident; the focus was actually the zebra smack dab in the center (I know, I know), which , is in eye-line with the one zebra looking at us and to the right. I don't know if they were just facing each other in amorous fashion or facing-off against each other, but that with the rest of the herd walking in one general direction, and all the dust, was the goal of what I wanted to capture.

You can indeed rent your own vehicle and drive the parks alone (we saw one group of your people doing that the whole 10 days), or do that and hire a guide, or have a full guided but private (not group) tour . But if you're taking care of your vehicle and lodging, it's unlikely you'll be renting a Land Rover with pop-up roof; or renting one that won't break down! The organization we used, Thomson Safari, sells their vehicles to the [ahem] 'lesser' agencies after 100K miles. We saw a surprisingly high number of Land Rovers run by tours that buy used, broken down in the middle of the national parks each day; with lions potentially near by. That's not a position I'd want to find myself in; further not one I'd want to be responsible for getting myself out of...
I think I've heard about Thomson Safari, they should be good.

Been to Tanzania just the once. Private reserves in South Africa and other places come highly recommended. There, you can definitely get by with a shorter lens, as the guides are free to drive anywhere and drive right up to the animals; They also go out @ night and drive you right up to the lion prides while on the prowl or hunt. Not something you can do in any of the national parks in Tanzania; you have to stick to the official road and be out by sun-down.
That is one of the good things I've heard about Tanzania, how they take care of the animals, so not to incur stress. Other places they can make girafs run, for the sight of it. But this is very bad for the animal, as they have weak joints, and it is not good for their knees.
We're on their turff, so due care should be taken.

The Pentax 300/2 is a heavy load. Don't think it would sell much, there are others that I would rather see

I like these pictures where you've placed the animals in their habitat, and we get to see a whole view of it.