Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #526
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,552
Let the games begin

05-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #527
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,833
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
HD Pentax-D FA 85mm f/1.4 ED SDM AW: 1,255g, available on 26 June 2020.

Source: Nokishita Camera Twitter
I hate being right. Although it's short, so it shouldn't be nearly as problematic as, say, a 70-200 zoom.

By the way, they also mention a Japan price of 248k yen after VAT, which comes up to... 2100.06 . Yeowch.
05-26-2020, 03:30 PM   #528
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 5,980
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
(...)

By the way, they also mention a Japan price of 248k yen after VAT, which comes up to... 2100.06€ . Yeowch.
Yep, 248,000.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Nokishita Camera just published the price requested by some large photographic stores in Japan for the HD Pentax-D FA 85mm f/1.4 ED SDM AW: 248,000 including tax.

Source: Twitter

After subtracting the 10% Japanese VAT that's equivalent to $2,091. The probability of a $/2,099 RRP increases.

Nokishita Camera further state that ordering will commence this week (Amazon UK said on the 28th). Be ready for an announcement on Wednesday the 27th at 22:00 UTC.
05-26-2020, 03:31 PM   #529
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Posts: 13,425
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I hate being right.
I know the feeling, it's such a pain...

05-26-2020, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #530
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 12,336
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
HD Pentax-D FA 85mm f/1.4 ED SDM AW:
  • weight: 1,255g
  • available on 26 June 2020
Source: Nokishita Camera Twitter
Gaaaaaahhh..... A whole month to wait.
05-26-2020, 10:15 PM   #531
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: As I said before, I quit this forum due to people so rude to each other. Bye!
Posts: 95
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Just get the 77 and luxuriate in its splendor. Blows the K85/1.8 away.
Im ok with the DFA* 70-200mm, just need to continue my daily exercise. Bigger is better! 🤣
05-26-2020, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #532
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,749
QuoteOriginally posted by vietnam74 Quote
Im ok with the DFA* 70-200mm, just need to continue my daily exercise. Bigger is better! 🤣
+1 for that.
05-27-2020, 12:36 AM - 16 Likes   #533
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,552
I'm disappointed, a day or two away from preorders opening up and all people want to talk about is 3rd party glass and older stuff! Samyang, yangsan...

A * lens is a big deal, you only get less than 6 or 7 per generation. Standing over the photographic world like an optical colossus. Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus users all over the world look into their kit bags and feel that bit more insignificant. You see they know, oh they can point to charts and say my one is faster, my one is lighter, but deep deep down inside they know that when Pentax say they are going to release a Star, it's going to be good, better than good, sublime even. It will test well but it will also resolve emotion, a memory, a feeling in ways that they kinda can comprehend but they will chose to fall back on the usual excuses

- well everyone knows the 'Pros' (a Pro, I really hate that term, photography is an art form, if you get good enough, practise enough, you become a Master, not a Pro) use these;

or technology is going mirrorless; or some other little excuse that will allow them go back into their happy place

We on the other hand, get to use am optic that comes from a known optical powerhouse, we can discover what it is to mount it on our K-1s and the only thing to be wary of is if our technique is good enough, is our composition good enough, have we captured the light to the best of our ability. A * is you the photographer looking into the mirror and having no excuses, because it won't be the lens fault, it's the best that it can be at this moment in time for a given price.


Last edited by robbiec; 05-27-2020 at 12:46 AM.
05-27-2020, 12:49 AM   #534
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
sbh's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Black Forest, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 735
Well said. Sure, star lenses aren't for everyone and don't suit every shooting style. However, they are exceptional in style, performance and feel. Stars as well as Limiteds are only possible with the right people, attitude and mindset. I think we're lucky that there is a bunch of them able to do what they do. Anyone who hasn't yet watched or read about how these lenses are created, I recommend to do so. It's a real pleasure.

Last edited by sbh; 05-27-2020 at 01:16 AM.
05-27-2020, 01:39 AM - 5 Likes   #535
Pentaxian
noelpolar's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Goolwa, SA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,865
My K 85/1.8 is weeping in the corner...... I told it uncle robbiec didn't mean it.
05-27-2020, 01:45 AM   #536
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ffking's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Poole
Posts: 4,962
I'd struggle with that price at the best of times,and it's not really suitable for the sort of photogrphy I do- BUT, I also remember when you got a little manual-sized booklet of available lenses with your new camera, I looked at the A* 200mm f/4 macro and lusted after it - and now those;lenses, like the FA* are governed entirely by market forces not by RRPs and beyond most of our reaches. It might seem early to say this when a lens hasn't yet been released even, but it won't always be available new, and that is what keeps second hand prices down, so if anyone wants this, by all means wait until Black Friday or whatever , but non-buyer's remorse is just as painful as its twin - sometimes more so.
05-27-2020, 02:09 AM   #537
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 445
QuoteQuote:
A * lens is a big deal, you only get less than 6 or 7 per generation. Standing over the photographic world like an optical colossus.
I'd love to feel that way too, but after the old Sudden Death Motor fiasco in DA* zooms (and also, their not great optical performance), the * glass reputation isn't as it once was. DPR's video on DA* 11-18 didn't help much in this regard, either.

I'm pretty sure this 85 will not disappoint those that can afford it, though.
05-27-2020, 02:31 AM - 2 Likes   #538
Pentaxian
PePe's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 546
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
I'd love to feel that way too, but after the old Sudden Death Motor fiasco in DA* zooms (and also, their not great optical performance), the * glass reputation isn't as it once was. DPR's video on DA* 11-18 didn't help much in this regard, either.
.
On the other hand their recent track record - the last couple of years - is pretty indisputable, isnt it?
05-27-2020, 02:35 AM - 2 Likes   #539
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 489
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I'm disappointed, a day or two away from preorders opening up and all people want to talk about is 3rd party glass and older stuff! Samyang, yangsan...

A * lens is a big deal, you only get less than 6 or 7 per generation. Standing over the photographic world like an optical colossus. Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus users all over the world look into their kit bags and feel that bit more insignificant. You see they know, oh they can point to charts and say my one is faster, my one is lighter, but deep deep down inside they know that when Pentax say they are going to release a Star, it's going to be good, better than good, sublime even. It will test well but it will also resolve emotion, a memory, a feeling in ways that they kinda can comprehend but they will chose to fall back on the usual excuses

- well everyone knows the 'Pros' (a Pro, I really hate that term, photography is an art form, if you get good enough, practise enough, you become a Master, not a Pro) use these;

or technology is going mirrorless; or some other little excuse that will allow them go back into their happy place

We on the other hand, get to use am optic that comes from a known optical powerhouse, we can discover what it is to mount it on our K-1s and the only thing to be wary of is if our technique is good enough, is our composition good enough, have we captured the light to the best of our ability. A * is you the photographer looking into the mirror and having no excuses, because it won't be the lens fault, it's the best that it can be at this moment in time for a given price.
Pentax needs to employ you as their marketing department. I can imagine this as an advert with a Barry White deep voice over
05-27-2020, 03:04 AM   #540
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 12,336
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I'm disappointed, a day or two away from preorders opening up and all people want to talk about is 3rd party glass and older stuff! Samyang, yangsan...

A * lens is a big deal, you only get less than 6 or 7 per generation. Standing over the photographic world like an optical colossus. Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus users all over the world look into their kit bags and feel that bit more insignificant. You see they know, oh they can point to charts and say my one is faster, my one is lighter, but deep deep down inside they know that when Pentax say they are going to release a Star, it's going to be good, better than good, sublime even. It will test well but it will also resolve emotion, a memory, a feeling in ways that they kinda can comprehend but they will chose to fall back on the usual excuses

- well everyone knows the 'Pros' (a Pro, I really hate that term, photography is an art form, if you get good enough, practise enough, you become a Master, not a Pro) use these;

or technology is going mirrorless; or some other little excuse that will allow them go back into their happy place

We on the other hand, get to use am optic that comes from a known optical powerhouse, we can discover what it is to mount it on our K-1s and the only thing to be wary of is if our technique is good enough, is our composition good enough, have we captured the light to the best of our ability. A * is you the photographer looking into the mirror and having no excuses, because it won't be the lens fault, it's the best that it can be at this moment in time for a given price.
If I could give you 50 likes for that I would.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
85mm, 85mm f/1.4 sdm, aberrations, aperture, body, camera, choices, criteria, design, equipment, f/1.4, hd, hd pentax-d, hd pentax-d fa, hits, k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax, pentax d fa*, pentax lens, pentax news, pentax rumors, pentax-d, pentax-d fa 85mm, pentax-d fa★ 85mm, people, performance, post, ricoh, rumors, sdm, sigma, slr lens, tamron
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Development update regarding the HD PENTAX-D FA★50mmF1.4 SDM AW OoKU Pentax News and Rumors 733 06-19-2020 03:20 PM
HD PENTAX-D FA★ 85mm F1.4 SDM AW officially announced on European Ricoh Imaging sites Madaboutpix Pentax News and Rumors 6 03-25-2020 05:45 AM
RICOH ANNOUNCES AVAILABILITY OF HD PENTAX-D FA★50mm F1.4 SDM AW STAR-SERIES LENS OoKU Pentax News and Rumors 1144 01-19-2020 08:46 PM
Photo Life News letter - HD PENTAX-DA★11-18mmF2.8ED DC AW and the HD PENTAX-FA35mmF2 jpzk Photographic Industry and Professionals 4 02-04-2019 08:15 AM
★★NOW IN STOCK★★Pentax K-5 Limited Edition★★ Chuck-B&H Ask B&H Photo! 11 03-31-2011 05:29 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:56 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top