Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2020, 10:47 AM - 2 Likes   #826
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I moved to a belt system + wrist strap a year ago; it's *the* most comfortable way to carry the camera I've found and you barely notice the weight. The downsides are that it obviously sits on your side so you have to mind the extra clearance, and most importantly it's too slow for grabshots (you need your left hand to unlock the safety latch); I have a sling strap for the cases where I think subjects will be jumping at me, but for my type of photography that's seldom the case.
I use the same (?) Spyder system, a camera on each hip and handstraps on both. But unless I'm walking thru large crowds I don't lock my cameras in the key slot. The weight keeps them there, even crouching down. I don't even have to look where they are as I'm pretty used to using it regularly, and absolutely no problem with "grab shots". I can insert my hand is the strap and lift the camera all in one motion, at most a couple of seconds. Same with putting it back.

Well maybe have to glance at the one on my left hip since I have to reach across my body. The right side is just natural and as quick to deploy as having it in a chest strap.

Last edited by gatorguy; 06-05-2020 at 12:51 PM.
06-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #827
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Indeed ...

(taken with DA*55/1.4)
Thanks for sharing.

It's the tiny things that make life fun.
06-05-2020, 11:24 AM   #828
Pentaxian

Half the size, half the price, if anyone interested
06-05-2020, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #829
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I moved to a belt system + wrist strap a year ago; it's *the* most comfortable way to carry the camera I've found and you barely notice the weight.
I'm very keen on not looking like a professional or like someone who wants to be one so any of those complicated systems are not an option for me (yet I should say, age might change that). The normal strap works but not very well due to the thickness of the K-1.

Would I have the dfa* 85mm I would certainly have to rethink how I carry the camera thats for sure!

06-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #830
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I use the same (?) Spyder system, a camera on each hip and handstraps on both. But unless I'm walking thru large crowds I don't lock my cameras in the key slot. The weight keeps them there, even crouching down. I don't even have to look where they are as I'm pretty used to using it regularly, and absolutely no problem with "grab shots". I can insert my hand is the strap and ligt the camera all in one motion, at most a couple of seconds. Same with putting it back.

Well maybe have to glance at the one on my left hip since I have to reach across my body. The right side is just natural and as quick to deploy as having it in a chest strap.
I have the CP-Tech B-Grip (is it allowed to link to the Amazon link? I'm not associated whatsoever and it was the first link I found): amazon.com : B-GRIP EVO Camera Belt : Camera And Optics Carrying Straps : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

It looks cruder than the Spyder, but it's actually very comfortable - the long rigid support keeps the weight nicely distributed, and I personally prefer the camera to be pointed downwards due to my legendary clumsiness - less likely to swing the front of the lens into something . There are also a couple small bonuses: the quick-release plate unfolds the bottom into a micro--tabletop-tripod that keeps the camera level, which is pretty practical in some situations. My version also came with a fastener to attach the plate to a backpack à la Capture Clip, but it's honestly... not particularly good, you need a very stable (read, full ) backpack or the camera just wobbles everywhere.

---------- Post added 06-05-20 at 12:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I'm very keen on not looking like a professional or like someone who wants to be one so any of those complicated systems are not an option for me (yet I should say, age might change that). The normal strap works but not very well due to the thickness of the K-1.

Would I have the dfa* 85mm I would certainly have to rethink how I carry the camera thats for sure!
If I'm going out with, say, just the M20 and the F50/1.7 or FA77 I skip the belt and just toss the camera in a nondescript Quechua backpack, but a K-1 with the D FA 28-105 already brings attention, the belt doesn't add a lot in my experience .

I got the belt system mostly for hiking, since I was getting a back/neck/shoulder pain with either the "default" strap or with a sling strap... instant relief, I wouldn't go back now.
If I ever get into wildlife with long teles, I'd probably go for a vest like the Cotton Carrier.

Last edited by Serkevan; 06-05-2020 at 12:31 PM.
06-05-2020, 12:51 PM   #831
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Half the size, half the price, if anyone interested
I know of a FA*85 going for under 600GBP
06-05-2020, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #832
Pentaxian

I guess the problem is GBP becoming as speculative as bitcoin

06-05-2020, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #833
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Naah. Perfect for street shooting. Noone will notice.
Mr or Ms Noone will notice?
06-05-2020, 02:36 PM   #834
Pentaxian

Indeed ...

(taken with DA*55/1.4)
Geeeeez that FA* looks like tiny little baby
06-05-2020, 04:08 PM - 4 Likes   #835
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I'm very keen on not looking like a professional or like someone who wants to be one so any of those complicated systems are not an option for me......
Dressing like a bum takes care of that worry for me.
06-05-2020, 10:06 PM   #836
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me the K-1 doesn't really feel "big" - it's dense but the size itself is pretty compact. Other FF cameras are quite larger (Nikons specifically are huge).

Incidentally, I busted the AF on my 52EP copy, so now it works as a regular macro . It's a great lens, but I haven't seen any in k-mount...

---------- Post added 06-05-20 at 08:50 AM ----------

I personally find the distribution more of a problem than weight itself. The first tele I had was a massive, manual focus Tokina 70-210/3.5 that weighed in at almost 1.2 kg - not THAT heavy, but the weight was skewed towards the front so much that on the K-7 it was impossible to get a decently sharp shot without bracing yourself and taking a deep breath . I guess the massive 1.7 kg 70-200/2.8 would have the same problem for me.

The 70-210/4.5+K-1 combo I have now weighs about the same as the K-7 pair, but with the center of gravity basically at the camera one can almost shoot one-handed. My "mini-prime" kit of 20/77 is a breeze to shoot with.
I never short one handed and I suppose you did not mean it is like that. Balance on 70-200 is excellent. I usually hold it from that handle. I can use my fingers to turn that zoom still. As handle is resting on my palm. Also turning camera to portrait and landscape is very stabile that way. Or at low angle shots I can just lift it from the handle, because of it is balanced well, I don’t have to put more effort in handling the combo. As I said the weight is no issue. I can shoot with K-1 and DFA 15-30 ‘one handed’. No problem, other than images don’t usually come out well. Even if I have tilt screen.
06-06-2020, 05:31 AM   #837
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I never short one handed and I suppose you did not mean it is like that. Balance on 70-200 is excellent. I usually hold it from that handle. I can use my fingers to turn that zoom still. As handle is resting on my palm. Also turning camera to portrait and landscape is very stabile that way. Or at low angle shots I can just lift it from the handle, because of it is balanced well, I don’t have to put more effort in handling the combo. As I said the weight is no issue. I can shoot with K-1 and DFA 15-30 ‘one handed’. No problem, other than images don’t usually come out well. Even if I have tilt screen.
I've shot with the K1 and HD FA 50 one-handed on rare occasion tho I would never make a habit of it. Good light and a fast shutter needed.
06-06-2020, 06:44 AM   #838
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, I also don't shoot one-handed, but it's possible (for a while, at least) with a lens that isn't front-heavy. The 70-200/2.8 looks to be very well balanced with the tripod foot but at the end of the day you're handling 3 kg of kit with a fair bit of glass away from the camera. After hours of carrying and holding the camera in front of you, the left wrist and forearm will start complaining . At least it would happen to me.

I've spent hours shooting during mountain hikes while carrying a K-7 with 1.2kg of tele on the standard strap (slotted in the chest strap of the backpack to distribute weight) and it ended up with a bunch of neck/arm/wrist pain the day after. Since I changed to a belt and shifted the weight from the tip of the lens to the camera (K-1 with 700 g tele) I haven't had any issues.
06-06-2020, 07:08 AM   #839
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I've shot with the K1 and HD FA 50 one-handed on rare occasion tho I would never make a habit of it. Good light and a fast shutter needed.
Even if Pentax has a good grip, wondering after a ‘slip’ was it worth it would not be fun..

---------- Post added 06-06-20 at 17:13 ----------

No, I also don't shoot one-handed, but it's possible (for a while, at least) with a lens that isn't front-heavy. The 70-200/2.8 looks to be very well balanced with the tripod foot but at the end of the day you're handling 3 kg of kit with a fair bit of glass away from the camera. After hours of carrying and holding the camera in front of you, the left wrist and forearm will start complaining . At least it would happen to me.

I've spent hours shooting during mountain hikes while carrying a K-7 with 1.2kg of tele on the standard strap (slotted in the chest strap of the backpack to distribute weight) and it ended up with a bunch of neck/arm/wrist pain the day after. Since I changed to a belt and shifted the weight from the tip of the lens to the camera (K-1 with 700 g tele) I haven't had any issues.
I use strap attached to handle which is quite wide, running cross the shoulder, I’m still holding the lens barrel or handle a bit. I can walk for hours, no issues. In fact walking it self can be more tiering than carrying the lens. It hangs with the camera in perfect balance. So nose is not pointing down or up. But as I said, the weight is not issue for me. It might be for some still. Even if I’m not a ‘muscle’ guy. I have good endurance
06-06-2020, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #840
Loyal Site Supporter

Even if Pentax has a good grip, wondering after a ‘slip’ was it worth it would not be fun..[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 06-06-20 at 17:13 ----------
To minimize that possibility I've put Spyder handstraps on all my cameras. They feel very secure and camera control is definitely enhanced.

Last edited by gatorguy; 06-06-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Closed Thread