Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1250 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2020, 04:16 AM   #151
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Adding a new pin or several would not necessarily require breaking compatibility, I'll second that, but it would definitely be a new mount version. Think of KAF2 for instance.
The KAF2 which was made with, and without power zoom contacts? And with, and without in-lens AF motors? (it was the removal of screw drive AF support which made the KAF3 mount; not the adding of in-lens AF motors).
And I said "should" instead of "will" while you're saying "definitely". Hmm...

03-27-2020, 04:25 AM   #152
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The KAF2 which was made with, and without power zoom contacts? And with, and without in-lens AF motors? (it was the removal of screw drive AF support which made the KAF3 mount; not the adding of in-lens AF motors).
(...)
KAF2 is not directly related to in-lens autofocus motor. KAF2 = KAF + advanced lens-body digital transmission + power zoom capability.

Summary of the K-Mount Evolution, Names, and Features | The K-Mount Page

(...)
And I said "should" instead of "will" while you're saying "definitely". Hmm...
You wrote:
(...) Even adding a new communication pin might not require breaking compatibility (and a new mount "version").
whereas I wrote:
Adding a new pin or several would not necessarily require breaking compatibility, I'll second that, but it would definitely be a new mount version. Think of KAF2 for instance.
03-27-2020, 04:47 AM   #153
Pentaxian

I already knew what KAF2 means, and it's quite evident from my post; I also know what I wrote, and properly read what you wrote. The point you are ignoring is that the same KAF2 had different "minor versions".
Adding a pin would not definitely give us KAF5. It might, but then Ricoh Imaging would unnecessarily have to explain compatibility.
03-27-2020, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #154
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope; a short flange distance mirrorless mount, by definition, will not be K-mount.
Whatever they decide to call it. They could call it the turnip mount. The KAF4 has the flexibility, like the EOS mount, for incremental improvements over time.
The next mount will be a short distance one.

03-27-2020, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Whatever they decide to call it. They could call it the turnip mount. The KAF4 has the flexibility, like the EOS mount, for incremental improvements over time.
The next mount will be a short distance one.
Yes, that's precisely the point I was making.
03-27-2020, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #156
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There's nothing to prevent the current data pin being driven at higher speeds for compatible body/lens combinations, and maintain current speeds for older lens. You don't [need to] add pins to make data go faster. You don't even need to call it a different mount, camera and lens could just silently adjust to the fastest capability. For all we know, that might have already happened - hence backward capability of KAF4 may be physically limited by the data transmission electronics of the older cameras. Just compare to the USB speeds - same connector (for 1.0 to 2.0, 3.0+ does add pins but still backwards compatible), many different standards: 1.5 Mb/s for version 1.0 to 20 Gb/s for version 3.2, but you can still plug USB 1.0 device into USB 3.2 socket and it will work at 1.5 Mb/s.

Last edited by phoebus; 03-27-2020 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Clarity about difference between USB 3 and earlier hardware
03-27-2020, 07:54 AM - 3 Likes   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
The Lens. For me, strictly personnal.
I won't have a focus by wire crap, ever.

Only idiots never change their mind, I know
I see, no way to change your mind. Let me tell you I also prefer real mechanic focus but the DA55-300PLM‘s by wire doesn‘t work that bad ... and I see it as a minor issue compared to the lenses’ many positive properties.

03-27-2020, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
There's nothing to prevent the current data pin being driven at higher speeds for compatible body/lens combinations, and maintain current speeds for older lens. You don't [need to] add pins to make data go faster. You don't even need to call it a different mount, camera and lens could just silently adjust to the fastest capability. For all we know, that might have already happened - hence backward capability of KAF4 may be physically limited by the data transmission electronics of the older cameras. Just compare to the USB speeds - same connector (for 1.0 to 2.0, 3.0+ does add pins but still backwards compatible), many different standards: 1.5 Mb/s for version 1.0 to 20 Gb/s for version 3.2, but you can still plug USB 1.0 device into USB 3.2 socket and it will work at 1.5 Mb/s.
Yeah, but the port is still called USB 3.2.

SD cards, on the other hand, added extra pins for a certain someone's beloved standard, while still being SD cards and maintaining backwards compatibility.
03-27-2020, 08:39 AM - 5 Likes   #159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Considering the total price of the (*) lens, would it be much more expensive to implement the mechanical aperture lever, too? (Like in case of the DA* problematic lenses. SDM motor dead -> converting to screwdrive saves the lens AF.)
This is so odd. If the DA* SDM lenses of the first generation have taught something: if you add complexity like the dual focus mechanisms it is more prone to failure than a single reliable system.
The number of people ready to spend more than 1500 € on a modern lens capable of delivering sharpness in the corners wide open with the intention to mainly use it cropped on a low resolution camera from ten years ago might not be very large and Ricoh has my full understanding if those are not a prioritised target group.
03-27-2020, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #160
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I see, no way to change your mind. Let me tell you I also prefer real mechanic focus but the DA55-300PLM‘s by wire doesn‘t work that bad ... and I see it as a minor issue compared to the lenses’ many positive properties.
Of course, and amongst them the quickest Pentax zoom lens AF ever.
03-27-2020, 09:09 AM - 6 Likes   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I was skeptical to it at first. The truth is that the 55-300PLM is the best ever Pentax lens when factors such as performance, convenience, size, weight and price are being taken into consideration....

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 03-27-2020 at 09:32 AM.
03-27-2020, 09:37 AM   #162

Photos: Gallery
OTOH this is likely the last evolution of the K-mount.
They can change focus motors, update communication protocols to some extent, even adding in-lens stabilisation; but there should be no need for a KAF 5
Aircraft industry was moving from Mechanical to Electrical to Optical information transmittal, and who knows what comes afterwards. Shape memory materials in lenses? The future is hard to imagine.
03-27-2020, 10:01 AM   #163
Pentaxian

Pentax, please stop pointless discussions and deliver the lens.
03-27-2020, 10:28 AM - 12 Likes   #164
Pentaxian

^ Judging by this thread, pointless discussions come more from Pentaxians than from Pentax...
03-27-2020, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I was skeptical to it at first. The truth is that the 55-300PLM is the best ever Pentax lens when factors such as performance, convenience, size, weight and price are being taken into consideration....
That sums it up well - and we can even combine it with DA TC1.4x and get 420mm in a compact package.
Closed Thread