Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2020, 09:02 AM   #226
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since I own an FA 77mm, I hadn't planned on buying this lens, but if it does turn out to be AW as advertised, and has otherwise good optical performance, that feature would be enough to make me consider a purchase.

04-05-2020, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #227
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Since I own an FA 77mm, I hadn't planned on buying this lens, but if it does turn out to be AW as advertised, and has otherwise good optical performance, that feature would be enough to make me consider a purchase.
All DA*/DFA* lenses AFAICT are AW and I bet that lens will be a killer (though its price will too).
04-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #228
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I await the first tests of this lens, and if they are good, I sell my FA to buy it for myself...
04-05-2020, 05:31 PM   #229
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
For whatever reason some people want Pentax to fail. At the beginning of DP Review's article on the DFA *50 they made the comment that they were interested in looking at this lens because it might be the last SLR lens from Pentax they ever saw. I think they ended up editing out that comment, but the fact remains that MILC folks want SLRs to go away and Pentax continuing to produce new SLR gear is a sore point for them.
My personal experience is that Pentax has not been relevant in most lives for a number of years now. Most people don’t even think of Pentax because they have had no reason to think of them in so many years.

04-05-2020, 06:06 PM - 3 Likes   #230
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My personal experience is that Pentax has not been relevant in most lives for a number of years now. Most people don’t even think of Pentax because they have had no reason to think of them in so many years.
I don't understand the point of your comment. Depending on what you mean by "most people", the same could be said for just about any brand on earth.
04-05-2020, 06:33 PM - 3 Likes   #231
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure what relevance has to do with anything.
I mean, Leica isn't relevant to most people, but I don't read people trashing that brand for it.
I'm really fed up with the small minded tribalism that seems to consume people. It's pointless.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 04-05-2020 at 06:56 PM.
04-05-2020, 08:41 PM - 4 Likes   #232
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm not sure what relevance has to do with anything.
I mean, Leica isn't relevant to most people, but I don't read people trashing that brand for it.
I'm really fed up with the small minded tribalism that seems to consume people. It's pointless.
Tribalism - St. Louis is famous for it in certain circles. I once asked a nice girl to a dance - she said yes, but only if I would drive her Cutlass. When I bought an MESuper Pentax was still OK, but Olympus was the must-have brand, then Minolta. Your Dad bought Nikon and your hip Uncle bought Canon.

Sony is just jewelry. MILC is just a more general iteration of the same jewelry wearing.

04-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #233
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I don't understand the point of your comment. Depending on what you mean by "most people", the same could be said for just about any brand on earth.
Most photographers - and many non-photographers - are aware of Canon, Nikon, and Sony ..... at least here in the USA.
04-06-2020, 11:33 AM   #234
Pentaxian

Most photographers - and many non-photographers - are aware of Canon, Nikon, and Sony ..... at least here in the USA.
Most photographers - and many non-photographers - are aware of Canon, Nikon ..... at least here in the CRO,Canon and Nikon are the undisputed rulers of scenes in the professional and amateur photo worlds, in the professional: when I appeared with Pentax in a photo studio (K1 + DFA70-200 / 2.8 + 24-70 / 2.8 + Fsmc28 / 2.8) everyone was wondering what I was going to do with it and what it was / how much it cost / what it had to complete / what the hardware support capabilities were, in amateurism: just a question so isn't it CaNikon wtf .... but me and the parties are happy with what Pentax can do (in some cases a little harder than canikon but still successful = eg studio lighting sync worked after a few tries, amateur = where did you buy ~ where to buy it because everywhere is only canikon ), mostly Pentax is an exotic of photo equipment which is rarely bought by professionals (I only know two, but one switched to think fuji x-t3), and amateurs, most of whom canikon is too expensive

Last edited by mbukal; 04-06-2020 at 12:05 PM.
04-06-2020, 11:37 AM - 2 Likes   #235
Veteran Member

Some early DFA* 85 Samples

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/g9vW9Oc3xVI0zWJsx8qKZw
04-06-2020, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #236
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

When I first started researching camera brands in 2015 I had never heard of Pentax, and I didn't have a clue that Sony made decent cameras let alone was leading a market segment.
No clues that Fujifilm, Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung were serious camera manufactures...
It was either Canon or Nikon cameras and everyone I talked to for recommendations pushed in that direction..
It was my own research of comparing features on platforms like YouTube, cameradecision.com, and this Forum that brought me to be a Pentaxian.
Pentax has zero marketing where I live (Edmonton, Alberta).
When I go to trade shows, clubs, conferences, etc. people usually give ya a weird look.
However, the Pentax user community is relatively strong still... the second-hand market is relatively strong..
04-06-2020, 01:55 PM   #237
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Bokehlicious
04-07-2020, 08:46 AM   #238
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Pentax has zero marketing where I live (Edmonton, Alberta).
To be fair though, I believe Ricoh advertise their name in the Rogers Place (where the Edmonton Oilers play)...
04-07-2020, 08:51 AM - 3 Likes   #239
Veteran Member

Can't a thread ever keep somewhat on topic? Every thread seems to ebb and flow every direction talking about rehashed drivel that has little to no relevance to the thread title. I am very interested in this lens, and instead of learning more about it via this thread, I find people talking about Pentax (again) being irrelevant. Ughh…..

Last edited by dcpropilot; 04-07-2020 at 12:36 PM.
04-07-2020, 09:00 AM - 2 Likes   #240
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Can't a thread ever keep somewhat on topic? Every thread seems to epp and flow every direction talking about rehashed drivel that has little to no relevance to the thread title.
Well, what do you expect people to talk about when there is almost no new information but a new thread everytime Pentax shows another minimal information bit.
Closed Thread