Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2020, 03:09 AM - 5 Likes   #646
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Honestly Pentaxians were wrong about that one. Its pretty obvious when you've seen a few more samples.
I own the lens; I'm not relying exclusively on others' samples
And - we're not saying it's completely free of CA, just that DPR exaggerated the issue.

05-28-2020, 03:18 AM   #647
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And - we're not saying it's completely free of CA, just that DPR exaggerated the issue.
Yes - it's a basic issue of looking for the weaknesses and giving them greater weighting than the strengths, which isn't their approach to everything. I'll be interested to see if they review this one on the principle of 'if you can't find something nasty to say, say nothing at all.'

Actually, unless I'm just getting used to it, the place seems a little less toxic as far as Ricoh/Pentax goes lately - hope I'm right.

Quote: "The new lens offers numerous special elements, a new AF motor and the build quality we've come to expect from high-end Pentax lenses."
05-28-2020, 03:20 AM - 3 Likes   #648
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Honestly Pentaxians were wrong about that one. Its pretty obvious when you've seen a few more samples.
Pentaxians aren't wrong: HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database It's noted on the second review in July 2018. (by me)

What DPR are guilty of is biased comparison, when lenses such as the Sigma Art also have CA at F1.4, but aren't pilloried for it in the same way.
05-28-2020, 03:24 AM - 3 Likes   #649
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm hampered by not being able to use the full capacity of Irish / English (i'm trying to behave Mods ) but who gives a damn about DPR? I'm going to get this and make my own mind up on how best to use it and won't be swayed by some heavily weighted review against the lens by reviewers that don't understand our system and its approach to photography.

It is fun to see all the anti-Pentax people with their issues surface though, someone, somewhere will do a study on the Anti-Pentax disorder and maybe get a PHD or something out of it.

05-28-2020, 03:30 AM - 3 Likes   #650
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have merged this from another thread, but it's buried a few pages back now, so I think it's worth bringing this post to the attention of those following this one
05-28-2020, 03:37 AM   #651
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
DP Review focused on that one thing and shot a lot of back lit shots to try to bring it out -- way more than they did with competitors lenses. And most of the competition had some level of loCA as well -- it's just that if you don't shoot the right images, you don't see it.
I agree with that. Thats the issue when the tests aren't standardized. Makes reviews random.
05-28-2020, 03:44 AM   #652
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I have already spotted some CA in one of the pics on the special site.

Sorry, the internet is turning me into a monster...
Yea, did notice that same. I have also taken similar photos with my lenses. Bright daylight. Bright highlights and wide aperture. If I had that kind of performance, I would have been super happy. Looking at vibrant colours(there is plenty of that colour or close by in picture too) which would be damped with using PF remove, now one has not to do now with this lens.

05-28-2020, 03:45 AM   #653
Pentaxian

Very interesting reading as always! It also explains why the 85/1.4 went behind schedule, as it had to be redesigned to eliminate CAs (with the concave front element).

Development Story | HD PENTAX-D FA<sup>?</sup>85mmF1.4ED SDM AW | PENTAX STAR LENS | RICOH IMAGING
05-28-2020, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #654
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
someone, somewhere will do a study on the Anti-Pentax disorder and maybe get a PHD or something out of it.
Isn't that what Rishi's PhD is in?
05-28-2020, 03:54 AM   #655
Pentaxian

The Canon 1.2 is interesting as it has more normal glass than most of the competition. The images I've seen look beautiful as well.

---------- Post added 05-28-20 at 02:20 AM ----------

But, but, but
RF 85 103,2 x 117,3 1195g
DFA 85 95 x 124 1255kg
LOL! Have you seen the size of that thing. It might be that light(must be because of that RF mount) but exteriors of that lens is huge. Dwarfs the camera. Not saying that This one is small either, but it is compared to that. 85/1,2 looks like 300/5,6 mirrorlens.
05-28-2020, 03:55 AM - 2 Likes   #656
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I go back and forth. To get this now I have to sell all my DA Limited lenses and K-01. Then K-new becomes less compelling and DFA 21/x becomes more compelling. I’ll wait until my PayPal balance has the cash in it. Not using a credit card or touching savings in this economy.

OTOH ‘this is a lifetime lens - like having a one-owner copy of the A*85/1.4 or A*135/1.8 or FA*200/4 Macro.
Some lenses are worth buying immediately in the event they are not available later. This is one of them.
05-28-2020, 03:58 AM   #657
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
To be fair, when comparing to other brands, you should take their latest designs, eg. the Canon RF85mm f1.2:
Nikon's latest Z prime lenses like the Z50mm f1.8S or 85mm f1.8S are also very well corrected for LoCa, the 50mm e.g. has virtually none (being f1.8 of course, but still extremely good for a 550,- lens) , where the Pentax 50mm f1.4 has pretty noticeable LoCa. No doubt Nikon's coming Z85mm f1.2S will be as well corrected as the Canon RF85
Well, I wouldnt tolerate comparing slow f1.8 lenses to fast f1.4 lenses which play in a whole different league. Doing this would be dptabloid style lying.

Nikon is cheating with lens corrected manipulated raw data same as Sony, so generally there is little way to know if mirroless lenses are on par as such, even if they publish a lens with similar specs.

So potentially we have only one single lens (Canon RF) which might be able to compete with the DFA*, and that lens costs a whopping +1,000 EUR more. The DFA* seems pretty good value.
05-28-2020, 04:01 AM   #658
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just noticed that I have a remarkably close comparison of size, weight and shape: My 1940s/1950s preset aperture Carl Zeiss Jena mediium format Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 - the pre-zebra brownish tapered design :-) It 'only' has a 77mm filter thread, but the outer diameter matches, it's just a few millimeters longer (more with the adapter, of course) 1150g + adapter. Knowing I absolutely love its rendering, but I'm still rarely using it because of its size and weight, I'm afraid the new star would see as much use as my other big lenses - very little. Anyway great to have a choice between this and the 77mm now!

Last edited by JensE; 05-28-2020 at 04:12 AM.
05-28-2020, 04:10 AM   #659
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I don't think many lenses will ever become available to them, Thor, their sales are too low. Fuji might like to think they're one of the big boys, that they're not a niche brand, but that's foolish.

For instance: Sigma CEO: "I Would Really Like to Make Fujifilm X Mount Lenses, but Resources are Limited and Other Projects have Priority" - Fuji Rumors
I guess we'll see in a few years. But I always like or at least respect a company that open-sources their stuff (or at least uses open standards) as opposed to clinging tightly to a closed ecosystem, often as a barrier to people going elsewhere. I prefer companies that say "here, jump in, the water's warm... we're making great stuff, so we're not scared of a little competition and we like our user base to have options."

Every time I go to charge my old iPod I curse Apple because of their silly reliance on proprietary hardware that even they stop supporting. Not to mention the unavailability of Apple software to transfer music from Linux.

If you love something, let it go. Including your proprietary interface control documents.
05-28-2020, 04:13 AM - 7 Likes   #660
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I have that lens. My intention is to be cremated with it grasped in my cold dead hands. I will never let go of that one.
If I took it from your cold dead hands I would at least have the decency to put the cheque in your pocket.
Closed Thread