Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2020, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #661
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I just noticed that I have a remarkably close comparison of size, weight and shape: My 1950s preset aperture Carl Zeiss Jena mediium format Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 - the pre-zebra brownish tapered design :-) It 'only' has a 77mm filter thread, but the outer diameter matches, it's just a few millimeters longer (more with the adapter, of course) 1150g + adapter. Knowing I absolutely love its rendering, but I'm still rarely using it because of its size and weight, I'm afraid the new star would see as much use as my other big lenses - very little. Anyway great to have a choice between this and the 77mm now!
My DFA*70-200 has almost the same thing. I love how it works and delivers, but because of iy’s size it does get left behind. Just because it is so hard to fit it in the bag with other lenses(weight is not a problem for me) Going to buy a bigger bag. (Have just found way to put myK-1 + 70-200 in my bag with even lens hood attached. Ready to shoot, while still having couple more lenses and a flash...!!! Took some time.

05-28-2020, 04:32 AM - 2 Likes   #662
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reading the development story on the special site does make me wonder if they weren't stung by the LoCA fuss.

It's interesting also, as was the case with the 50/1.4, how much they stress all the problems they had - it risks coming across as fumbling rather than striving for perfection, but I'm sure it's the latter
05-28-2020, 04:33 AM   #663
Pentaxian

Ricehigh did make a wrong statement about the weight of the D FA* 85mm:
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Comparing the Optics of the Contemporary Giant 85mm Lenses
05-28-2020, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #664
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The Special Site page is up on Ricoh Japan, with stories from professionals and a developer interview.
Thanks for the link, very interesting.

Also good to see some sample images.

With all due respect, though, the images by Shintaro Shiratori are not good.
It may be his style, but the lighting is not what most would consider good portrait lighting.

It would have been pretty easy to show the lens in a better light than was accomplished here.

05-28-2020, 04:54 AM - 2 Likes   #665
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I guess we'll see in a few years. But I always like or at least respect a company that open-sources their stuff (or at least uses open standards) as opposed to clinging tightly to a closed ecosystem, often as a barrier to people going elsewhere. I prefer companies that say "here, jump in, the water's warm... we're making great stuff, so we're not scared of a little competition and we like our user base to have options."

Every time I go to charge my old iPod I curse Apple because of their silly reliance on proprietary hardware that even they stop supporting. Not to mention the unavailability of Apple software to transfer music from Linux.

If you love something, let it go. Including your proprietary interface control documents.
I wouldn't hold my breath, Thor.

Proprietary standards suit consumers, they don't suit the sellers. We have to think of how the world actually operates and you're thinking like a customer, not a desperate executive.

The m43 alliance has failed, I think the L mount alliance will too.

Canon and Nikon have both moved to brand new proprietary mounts. They hate Tamron, Sigma and Tokina. There's no 'ecosystem' as far as they're concerned, unless you mean 'host and parasite'.

And it's obvious why. You don't want to be the sucker selling bodies for other companies to put their lenses on. One strategy of the past was to sell the bodies relatively cheaply, almost like loss leaders, and get it back on the lenses.
05-28-2020, 05:08 AM - 11 Likes   #666
Pentaxian

The MTF curves are

f/1.4

f/4

f/8

05-28-2020, 05:10 AM - 3 Likes   #667
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

It may be his style, but the lighting is not what most would consider good portrait lighting.

It would have been pretty easy to show the lens in a better light than was accomplished here.
But, if the lightning is not so good, and the composition is so-so, and the subject not very carefully chosen... that makes them closer to what we could achieve, right? So they're more realistic/relevant samples

05-28-2020, 05:15 AM - 4 Likes   #668
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The MTF curves are
I have muffled several expletives in four different languages, and that's not an exaggeration. It's gunning for the [yet another one] Otus and it's not exactly failing: at f/4 it's noticeably better already, and f/8 is the embodiment of "lol complain about this DPR" while cackling maniacally.

---------- Post added 05-28-20 at 05:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

That might have been the point; maybe the lighting was bad on purpose to show how the lens behaves under poor(er) conditions?
05-28-2020, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #669
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I guess we'll see in a few years. But I always like or at least respect a company that open-sources their stuff (or at least uses open standards) as opposed to clinging tightly to a closed ecosystem, often as a barrier to people going elsewhere.
Often, claims of "open-sourcing" a camera mount are at best misleading.
And AFAIK none of the big players have "open-sourced" their mounts. Sony will allow lens makers to support their own, very proprietary system; m4/3 is closed; the L-Mount So-Called-Alliance is a closed group around a proprietary mount.
05-28-2020, 05:24 AM - 2 Likes   #670
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
(...)

That might have been the point; maybe the lighting was bad on purpose to show how the lens behaves under poor(er) conditions?
Nah, it's to avoid purple fringing...

05-28-2020, 05:41 AM - 2 Likes   #671
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Often, claims of "open-sourcing" a camera mount are at best misleading.
And AFAIK none of the big players have "open-sourced" their mounts. Sony will allow lens makers to support their own, very proprietary system; m4/3 is closed; the L-Mount So-Called-Alliance is a closed group around a proprietary mount.
Sigma backwards engineers all of their lenses, as far as I can tell. I don't think they pay licensing fees to anyone. Neither does Tamron.

I don't think these things are that hard to figure out, although obviously, each new camera could make your lens need an updated firmware in the lens. The issue with the K mount isn't that it is a closed group or even hard to figure out, but that Pentax doesn't sell that many cameras that it is worth third party lens brands while to make new lenses available for it.
05-28-2020, 05:42 AM - 2 Likes   #672

Focus speed

Have you seen this?

---------- Post added 05-28-20 at 05:48 AM ----------

This one is interesting too.
05-28-2020, 06:23 AM   #673
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Isn't that what Rishi's PhD is in?
Would hardly be objective seeing as he displays the symptoms at every possible opportunity
05-28-2020, 06:42 AM - 5 Likes   #674
Veteran Member

go compare :)

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The MTF curves are

f/1.4

f/4

f/8
1/1.4
Name:  2020-05-28 14_32_24-datasheet-zeiss-otus-1485.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  88.0 KB

1/4.0
Name:  2020-05-28 14_48_21-datasheet-zeiss-otus-1485.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  87.7 KB
Zeiss is R-10, 20. 40
Pentax is R-10, 30

Last edited by davidsladek; 05-28-2020 at 06:53 AM.
05-28-2020, 06:55 AM   #675
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But, if the lightning is not so good, and the composition is so-so, and the subject not very carefully chosen... that makes them closer to what we could achieve, right?
I thought they were trying to sell something...
Closed Thread