Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2020, 01:49 PM   #706
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
I'm curious of the decision to not use their newly developed Aero Bright II coating this time around. Maybe a less clinical look because it's a portrait lens?
"As for coating, Aero Bright Coating II used in “HD PENTAX-D FA★50mmF1.4 SDM AW” is not used on this lens. As for “HD PENTAX-D FA★85mmF1.4ED SDM AW”, we put effort into reducing ghost images via the lens construction design and reduced lens internal reflection by maximizing the effect of HD Coating to achieve a high level of image creation that PENTAX pursues and a superb color balance."

A partial answer at least, on the special site Development Story | HD PENTAX-D FA<sup>?</sup>85mmF1.4ED SDM AW | PENTAX STAR LENS | RICOH IMAGING

05-28-2020, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #707
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Hey Wheatfield, sounds like you're going to be an early buyer on the *85; do you have any projects in mind that you'll shoot with this lens first?
Nothing in particular. I might do some portraits of the neighbor's daughter.
05-28-2020, 03:30 PM - 6 Likes   #708
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I sold the 85 to my wife as being 'the portrait' lens for our 4yo daughter.

Finished a full stint troll bashing on DPR, no ban yet though. I haven't seen a serious post yet about the MTF figures or anybody willing to offer up their fav 85 against it. Even though one idiot did say that the OTUS 85 is long in the tooth. Usual morons talking about SDM failures or Tokina designs but no comeback if you queried them so back under their rocks or bridges. Disappointing really, I'm in really great form today with this announcement and was up for a good flare-up. I beginning to wonder if its because (a) I have a nice but not outrageous collection of glass, (b) I actually publish my shots and (c) I'm not a 'Pro' but a more gentleman photographer. Its a hobby, I indulge myself every now and again but don't you dare slag off my provider of an artistic outlet.
05-28-2020, 04:20 PM - 4 Likes   #709
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, after reading all of this, I want one.... but for the life of me can't think of any practicle need for it. Sad.

The positive for me though.... is I finally understand how to describe myself in a few words after all these years (thanks Norm) ...... I am a niche product. No wonder so many have put me back down again after a short trial.

05-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #710
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do senior portraits. This lens is right up my alley.
05-28-2020, 04:32 PM - 3 Likes   #711
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I just heard from my local dealer. Apparently Ricoh had not made a North American announcement yet. Consequently she couldn't order it for me. The rep isn't expecting to be able to order it until early June.
It has been officially announced in Australia. Can't wait!
05-28-2020, 05:10 PM - 4 Likes   #712
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The Canon 1.2 is interesting as it has more normal glass than most of the competition. The images I've seen look beautiful as well.

---------- Post added 05-28-20 at 02:20 AM ----------

But, but, but
RF 85 103,2 x 117,3 1195g
DFA 85 95 x 124 1255kg
PENTAX Super ED is a low-dispersion fluorite lens with an Abel coefficient of 95.

Canon 2 pieces of UD is equivalent to a piece of fluorite.

DFA * 85 / 1.4 uses such a huge fluorite-grade Super ED, or 3 pieces, I think the cost performance is more than DFA * 50.

Attached Images

05-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #713

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
"As for coating, Aero Bright Coating II used in “HD PENTAX-D FA★50mmF1.4 SDM AW” is not used on this lens. As for “HD PENTAX-D FA★85mmF1.4ED SDM AW”, we put effort into reducing ghost images via the lens construction design and reduced lens internal reflection by maximizing the effect of HD Coating to achieve a high level of image creation that PENTAX pursues and a superb color balance."

A partial answer at least, on the special site Development Story | HD PENTAX-D FA?85mmF1.4ED SDM AW | PENTAX STAR LENS | RICOH IMAGING
That is what I was referring to. That's not really a reasoning as much as more description.
05-28-2020, 05:42 PM - 4 Likes   #714
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
That is what I was referring to. That's not really a reasoning as much as more description.
Useless ABCII
Because of the structure of concave lens,
Light does not bend with a large curvature,

Even if you use ABCII, there will not be a big improvement.

In the case where the HD coating is good enough, there is no need to use ABCII.

If such a large caliber uses expensive ABCII, the cost will surge and the price will be greater.
05-28-2020, 06:37 PM - 4 Likes   #715
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I would be interested how corrective manipulation of raw data can make Longitudinal Chromatic Abberation disappear. I think I am not the only one
My point is that modern lenses designed with the aid of computing power and ever evolving lens coatings are in general much better in the area of uncorrectable abberations.
As for Nikon, their S line for the Z-mount is quite affordable and when turning profile corrections of in a raw converter that allows for that, like Capture one, you will see that these prime lenses, like the 50mm f1.8 and the 85mm f1.8 do not rely heavily on software correction, or manipulation as you like to call it. But of course this being "the" Pentax forum, I would be better off bashing Canon and Nikon a bit...I know
Chris, that Nikon only goes to f1.8, but look at the pictures that result!

Plenty of CA. Give me any lens you reckon doesn't have it for an hour, I'll shoot with it and show you the CA.
Attached Images

05-28-2020, 06:43 PM - 5 Likes   #716
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

And Chris, DxOMark boast that the Zeiss Otus, Nikon 50mm S and its 50mm DSLR equivalent: "All three lenses are well-corrected, and each one exhibits more aberrations towards the edges, which is typical for this type of fringing. The differences between the three lenses are minimal, with all of them showing only one pixel of chromatic aberration."

Guess what, here's the Pentax DFA*50, that DPR maligned but didn't actually measure. Why, it's *less* than one pixel.

How come that's not acknowledged?
Attached Images

05-28-2020, 06:57 PM - 2 Likes   #717
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
And Chris, DxOMark boast that the Zeiss Otus, Nikon 50mm S and its 50mm DSLR equivalent: "All three lenses are well-corrected, and each one exhibits more aberrations towards the edges, which is typical for this type of fringing. The differences between the three lenses are minimal, with all of them showing only one pixel of chromatic aberration."

Guess what, here's the Pentax DFA*50, that DPR maligned but didn't actually measure. Why, it's *less* than one pixel.

How come that's not acknowledged?
Because Pentax.
05-28-2020, 07:24 PM - 2 Likes   #718
Pentaxian

... is doomed
05-28-2020, 07:36 PM   #719

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Useless ABCII

Because of the structure of concave lens,

Light does not bend with a large curvature,

Even if you use ABCII, there will not be a big improvement.

In the case where the HD coating is good enough, there is no need to use ABCII.

If such a large caliber uses expensive ABCII, the cost will surge and the price will be greater.
We're already at $1899US on this thing. Lol. I can't see there being a huge surge in price from that upgrade when the DFA* 50 also required much R&D time and was able to include it at $1199. Though your other points are salient.

05-28-2020, 08:35 PM   #720

Was there a firmware update for this lens? Doesn't Pentax usually do that with every new lens?
Closed Thread