Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2020, 08:51 PM   #721
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a link to the Ricoh imaging special site, where they have a full sized head and shoulders portrait taken with the D FA*85.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/k/telephoto/hdpentax-df...g/ex-pic01.jpg

Last edited by BROO; 05-28-2020 at 08:59 PM.
05-28-2020, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #722
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I sold the 85 to my wife as being 'the portrait' lens for our 4yo daughter.

Finished a full stint troll bashing on DPR, no ban yet though. I haven't seen a serious post yet about the MTF figures or anybody willing to offer up their fav 85 against it. Even though one idiot did say that the OTUS 85 is long in the tooth. Usual morons talking about SDM failures or Tokina designs but no comeback if you queried them so back under their rocks or bridges. Disappointing really, I'm in really great form today with this announcement and was up for a good flare-up. I beginning to wonder if its because (a) I have a nice but not outrageous collection of glass, (b) I actually publish my shots and (c) I'm not a 'Pro' but a more gentleman photographer. Its a hobby, I indulge myself every now and again but don't you dare slag off my provider of an artistic outlet.
I have not sold this yet to my wife...but going to use this for photographing my daughter too(2yrs.). And hopefully others daughters and sons too at some point(hope to make few € in that process too).

For me it is enough to have the same rumble about SDM and the ordinary, you know what is here. And hope things don’t get heated up, at here. Propably because my English is not good enough to make precise point. And I wish to remain as a gentleman. As we all are
05-28-2020, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #723
Pentaxian

Price, weight, diameter... graphs stand for a very serious lens. Far away from a me too or a constrained/compact solution. 50&85 raise hopes for a 35 in the future, the trinity of large aperture lenses.Pentax would have the latest offering here, so expect nothing but the best for your money.
05-28-2020, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #724
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Here is a link to the Ricoh imaging special site, where they have a full sized head and shoulders portrait taken with the D FA*85.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/k/telephoto/hdpentax-df...g/ex-pic01.jpg
wow, that is such a poor picture to put there full size... including the makeup of the mode...

05-28-2020, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #726
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
wow, that is such a poor picture to put there full size... including the makeup of the mode...
If you look at Shintori's images, probably hastily done during Covid-19, the brief with that (Western) model was one portrait with soft light, similar to taken in shadow, and another in a high-contrast, editorial lighting scheme.

I think the lens itself is showcased, even if Shintori's skills aren't. Look at the right eye and you can see him or his assistant as a reflection.
05-29-2020, 12:14 AM - 7 Likes   #727
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Price, weight, diameter... graphs stand for a very serious lens. Far away from a me too or a constrained/compact solution. 50&85 raise hopes for a 35 in the future, the trinity of large aperture lenses.Pentax would have the latest offering here, so expect nothing but the best for your money.
24 in the future.

05-29-2020, 12:18 AM - 2 Likes   #728
Pentaxian

My guess is that the high contrast light and black dress are chosen to show fringing performance. There are a lot of highlights and high contrast edges in that photo but no fringing. It's a "messy" somewhat decadent look but i does show the lens performance.

---------- Post added 05-29-20 at 12:28 AM ----------

Wonder what happens when you pixelshift a lens like that. Despite having done quite a bit of pixelshift I haven't decided if good or average lenses improve the most.
05-29-2020, 12:58 AM   #729
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
24 in the future.
Is 24 what you wish for or do you know something that I don't know? I'd hope for a 35...

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
My guess is that the high contrast light and black dress are chosen to show fringing performance. There are a lot of highlights and high contrast edges in that photo but no fringing. It's a "messy" somewhat decadent look but i does show the lens performance.

---------- Post added 05-29-20 at 12:28 AM ----------

Wonder what happens when you pixelshift a lens like that. Despite having done quite a bit of pixelshift I haven't decided if good or average lenses improve the most.
If that's unretouched and how it comes sooc, then I am really impressed. Even on the highlights on the ring there are no noticable off-colours. (pic 02)

For pixelshift I think both benefit from it. However, the lower end of lenses don't really. There has to be a certain sharpness & quality level beyond what the sensor pixel layout can do if you don't use pixelshift. I think the 24-70 does benefit from pixelshift. However, if you have a lens where the sharpest area is still blurry across 2 or 3 pixels, we will get that blur pixelshifted but won't see improved sharpness. But still I like pixelshift for better colour accuracy as well.
05-29-2020, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #730
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by funkythiru Quote
Was there a firmware update for this lens? Doesn't Pentax usually do that with every new lens?
The lens will hit the shelves in three weeks. So enough time for programmers to code and put a new firmware update online.
05-29-2020, 06:13 AM   #731
Site Supporter

Dont think Many pentaxians Will buy this lense for 2K
05-29-2020, 07:27 AM   #732
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Is 24 what you wish for or do you know something that I don't know? I'd hope for a 35...

If that's unretouched and how it comes sooc, then I am really impressed. Even on the highlights on the ring there are no noticable off-colours. (pic 02)

For pixelshift I think both benefit from it. However, the lower end of lenses don't really. There has to be a certain sharpness & quality level beyond what the sensor pixel layout can do if you don't use pixelshift. I think the 24-70 does benefit from pixelshift. However, if you have a lens where the sharpest area is still blurry across 2 or 3 pixels, we will get that blur pixelshifted but won't see improved sharpness. But still I like pixelshift for better colour accuracy as well.
I do not wish.
I hope 35,too.
05-29-2020, 07:28 AM - 3 Likes   #733
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Riddler Quote
Dont think Many pentaxians Will buy this lense for 2K
Wait till folks start taking photos with it.

The same thing was said about the DFA *50. "Who would buy a 50mm lens for a thousand dollars?" The reality is that there are a surprising number of people who are willing to spend money for a best in class lens. Unfortunately, I am probably one, although I'll be waiting towards the end of the year to do so.
05-29-2020, 07:33 AM - 2 Likes   #734
Pentaxian

I expect Ricoh Imaging will publish yet another apology for not being able to meet the demand.
05-29-2020, 07:37 AM - 2 Likes   #735
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A 24mm lens after the 21 comes to market seems like crowding at one end of the spectrum. Something 26 to 28 would perhaps fit nicer between the 21 and 31 primes.

But their ideas and my ideas seem to rarely coincide.
Closed Thread