Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1250 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2020, 07:41 PM   #916
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
TwoUptons: You know, I've never held one, but I imagine it mechanically moves the aperture lever through its arch to manipulate the aperture. Not going to work here, then, is it.

Seems like it's going to be shooting wide open or using aperture "washers" against the rear element to get this thing onto a film body. If it was a serious goal to have a lens like this on a film body, it would probably be smart for that person to go with an actual M-mount lens or possibly F-mount. Thankfully I'm not that serious about that sort of thing.

06-20-2020, 12:15 AM - 3 Likes   #917
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
A lens that is being claimed as an Otus-killer I want yo see how well it holds sharp focus wide-open at close to medium range, what its fall-off rendering looks like, and fringing in high contrast areas. Some of those characteristics were highlighted but these are supposed to be marketing images for a portrait lens so I want to see the reasons we'd even want this lens to be shown off prominently and attractively.

I don't understand why this opinion is so offensive and the ad-homs are coming out.
You should have reported my exact terms in stead of being a lot murkier: " I previously wrote that according to its formula (front bi-concave lens), this new Pentax lens should be compared to Zeiss Otus 85/1.4. And as I said, I am sure this lens is a must-have for the one who needs it..." It would have been a much more respectful behavior.
I am not a Pentax fan in terms of blindness. I own vintage Leica-R lenses when I discovered their supremacy in terms of micro and macro-contrast in past century. At that time, I tried Minolta, Nikon and Canon lenses (not Pentax I didn't know at that time). I loved working with Nikon cameras and some of their lenses are very good. I didn't like Canon lenses mainly because of CA. At that time (I tried Leica Summicron-R 50/2, Leica Summilux 80/1.4, Leica Apo-Summicron-R 180/2), I felt obvious to switch to Leica lenses (I used to mainly work on B&W Tri-X rolls and Kodachrome 25 and Fuji Velvia 50 slides).
Leica as everyone knows unfortunately abandoned Leica-R mount when switching to digital era for the benefit of Leica-S mount. I had Canon EOS 5D Mkx for convenience: I didn't want to change the original mount for a Leitax one although I always found their weak sensor as a stumbling block.
Then, Pentax K-1 has been released in 2016. I found the design of another era, old fashioned... Until I tried one with the Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70mm f/2.8 ED SDM WR. I didn't like the lens (excellent but not my taste) but I understood the potential of the camera thanks to the RAW files I worked on and the feelings I had with the camera: a joy to hold it in my hand. Changing original mount is not so easy nor psychologicaly obvious, but I did with some of my Leica-R lenses. I couldn't be happier.
Perhaps I change one day for another brand EVF camera, but the Pentax K-1 is still the one...
To resume, Pentax undeniably made an excellent lens with the new HD PENTAX-D FA★85mmF1.4ED SDM AW, but the limited edition is still an excellent option for those who like (like me) mechanical aperture, small lenses...

---------- Post added 20-06-20 at 00:25 ----------

If I had no Leica-R lenses today, as a neophyte, I probably would go for two Pentax K-1, one with HD PENTAX-D FA 15-30mm f/2,8 ED SDM WR and one with HD PENTAX-D FA★85mmF1.4ED SDM AW according to my use...

Last edited by teiki arii; 06-20-2020 at 12:34 AM.
06-20-2020, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #918
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
You should have reported my exact terms in stead of being a lot murkier: " I previously wrote that according to its formula (front bi-concave lens), this new Pentax lens should be compared to Zeiss Otus 85/1.4. And as I said, I am sure this lens is a must-have for the one who needs it..." It would have been a much more respectful behavior.
I am not a Pentax fan in terms of blindness. I own vintage Leica-R lenses when I discovered their supremacy in terms of micro and macro-contrast in past century. At that time, I tried Minolta, Nikon and Canon lenses (not Pentax I didn't know at that time). I loved working with Nikon cameras and some of their lenses are very good. I didn't like Canon lenses mainly because of CA. At that time (I tried Leica Summicron-R 50/2, Leica Summilux 80/1.4, Leica Apo-Summicron-R 180/2), I felt obvious to switch to Leica lenses (I used to mainly work on B&W Tri-X rolls and Kodachrome 25 and Fuji Velvia 50 slides).
Leica as everyone knows unfortunately abandoned Leica-R mount when switching to digital era for the benefit of Leica-S mount. I had Canon EOS 5D Mkx for convenience: I didn't want to change the original mount for a Leitax one although I always found their weak sensor as a stumbling block.
Then, Pentax K-1 has been released in 2016. I found the design of another era, old fashioned... Until I tried one with the Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70mm f/2.8 ED SDM WR. I didn't like the lens (excellent but not my taste) but I understood the potential of the camera thanks to the RAW files I worked on and the feelings I had with the camera: a joy to hold it in my hand. Changing original mount is not so easy nor psychologicaly obvious, but I did with some of my Leica-R lenses. I couldn't be happier.
Perhaps I change one day for another brand EVF camera, but the Pentax K-1 is still the one...
To resume, Pentax undeniably made an excellent lens with the new HD PENTAX-D FA★85mmF1.4ED SDM AW, but the limited edition is still an excellent option for those who like (like me) mechanical aperture, small lenses...

---------- Post added 20-06-20 at 00:25 ----------

I totally agree.

If I had no Leica-R lenses today, as a neophyte, I probably would go for two Pentax K-1, one with HD PENTAX-D FA 15-30mm f/2,8 ED SDM WR and one with HD PENTAX-D FA★85mmF1.4ED SDM AW according to my use...
It is all abut the lenses. I loved my lux80 not only for mechanical excellence, but for its drawing. Pentax ltds (I own(ed) 31&77) also have special drawing capabilities. K1 provides a pefect platform for these lenses.
With K1 I also acquired the 24-70... standard zoom. I hardly ever use it these days and may let it go in favor of 31/43. The *50 is a very nice tool to play with shallow DOF, the *85 looks like a must have, but I also assume that the 77 wll give it a rought time. Ltds are not moden high tech lenses, but they draw very nicely and can be had new!
06-20-2020, 04:13 AM - 10 Likes   #919
Pentaxian

Thank you guys

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Wow. That's spectacular. I was hoping mine would arrive today, but it looks like next week now.
Well, mine is not available yet either.
But i suspect it's already ready waiting somewhere in Germany

those 3 shots are slightly cropped :

ISO100 ; f/1.4 ; 1/5000s

ISO100 ; f/1.4 ; 1/5000s

ISO100 ; f/1.4 ; 1/4000s

Slight backfocus on the 3rd, i shouldn't have used the 9 center points for this one (center AF point for the other ones).

Altogether, both the AF speed and its lock out are very impressive using this lens + dedicated firmware : it is damn acurate ; slightly faster than HD DFA*70-200/2.8 and on par with APS-C's HD DA PLM 55-300mm (with slightly better lock out also due to its larger aperture).

Last edited by Zygonyx; 06-20-2020 at 04:28 AM.
06-20-2020, 10:26 AM   #920
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Thank you guys

ISO100 ; f/1.4 ; 1/5000s

ISO100 ; f/1.4 ; 1/5000s

ISO100 ; f/1.4 ; 1/4000s

Slight backfocus on the 3rd, i shouldn't have used the 9 center points for this one (center AF point for the other ones).

Altogether, both the AF speed and its lock out are very impressive using this lens + dedicated firmware : it is damn acurate ; slightly faster than HD DFA*70-200/2.8 and on par with APS-C's HD DA PLM 55-300mm (with slightly better lock out also due to its larger aperture).
That does look and sound incredible.
06-20-2020, 12:22 PM   #921
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you guys

ISO100 ; f/1.4 ; 1/5000s

ISO100 ; f/1.4 ; 1/5000s

ISO100 ; f/1.4 ; 1/4000s

Wow, now those are impressive images!!
06-20-2020, 06:01 PM   #922
Pentaxian

Wow...

06-20-2020, 08:37 PM   #923
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The sharpness available at f1.4, from those shared images (so grain of salt), is quite impressive from where I'm sitting.
06-20-2020, 08:49 PM - 2 Likes   #924
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I. Can. Not. Wait.
06-20-2020, 09:05 PM - 2 Likes   #925
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I. Can. Not. Wait.
I understand completely. This is waiting for Christmas Day knowing that the best toy ever is under the tree.
06-20-2020, 09:08 PM   #926

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The sharpness available at f1.4, from those shared images (so grain of salt), is quite impressive from where I'm sitting.
Across the whole frame too. This is going to be wonderful for commercial work.

06-20-2020, 10:12 PM   #927
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I. Can. Not. Wait.
Surprisingly, I’m strangely not impatient this time. I was in line early, I know I’ll get it and when it gets here I’ll be happy, but I’m not looking at the Pending order every 3 hours to see if I suddenly have a ship date, I’ll get an email next week.
06-21-2020, 02:34 AM - 2 Likes   #928
Pentaxian

Every 4 hours then ?
I know I would.
06-21-2020, 02:41 AM   #929

Thank you guys

ISO100 ; f/1.4 ; 1/5000s
ISO100 ; f/1.4 ; 1/5000s
ISO100 ; f/1.4 ; 1/4000s
Those look fantastic. Ridiculously sharp.
The separation in the second one nearly looks like the subject has been put in via a photoshop composite.
06-21-2020, 04:01 AM   #930

Photos: Gallery
I. Can. Not. Wait.
Take a Riesling.
Closed Thread