Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1250 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2020, 07:59 AM   #1021
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
I'm still only seeing a slight hint of it. Easily correctable if you need to for a client, but I doubt most would notice. They did a really good job with this lens. Even the Otus has a tiny bit of it wide-open. I can't think of any lenses that don't.
It is already noticeable at a non-zoomed in photo on my work screen but that's a 24" monitor displaying a photo against backlight, at f/1.4, with shadow edges against an almost-white-looking road and I know what I'm looking for. Unfortunately this aberration is not the "one click correction" kind, but as you said it's not something that detracts anything serious from the image IMO. We need a side-by-side comparison with other weighty eighties, but I doubt the D FA* will be worse than any of them.

06-24-2020, 08:01 AM - 2 Likes   #1022
Pentaxian

Twitter
06-24-2020, 08:10 AM   #1023
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
The backgrounds look painted with a brush - such a beautiful tool.

I can't wait to see what images people produce with it.
06-24-2020, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #1024
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Damn. No Twitter account.

06-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #1025
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You can see that without having an account yourself.
06-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #1026
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Unfortunately this aberration is not the "one click correction" kind
Hm. I opened LR 5 and two clicks later (one for green one for magenta) they are gone for good in that image.
06-24-2020, 08:50 AM   #1027
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You can see that without having an account yourself.
On my tablet all I see is an invitation to open a Twitter account or Log In.

06-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #1028
Pentaxian

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EbSMeWQUEAEOpUz?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EbSMpYMU4Ag3j_c?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
06-24-2020, 08:56 AM   #1029
Pentaxian

On my tablet all I see is an invitation to open a Twitter account or Log In.
OK... I tried on my PC, the mobile version works differently it seems.
Maybe the links posted by beholder3 will help you.
06-24-2020, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #1030
Loyal Site Supporter

The backgrounds look painted with a brush - such a beautiful tool.

I can't wait to see what images people produce with it.
I phoned my pusher yesterday to see if I could get an ETA. Normally I deal directly with the store manager, a very knowledgeable lady who is also a Pentax user and who has worked with me since the early 1990s helping to keep my business afloat, and then supporting me as a hobbyist when I got out of that game.
Anyway, she is on vacation, but the very helpful young man said he would get back to me with any information he could find.
A couple of hours later he called to say the lens was still in "preorder", whatever that means, but he also sounded a bit awestruck. I expect he had no idea what I was talking about until he had to go find information for me.
I'm still hoping for delivery this week.
06-24-2020, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #1031
Pentaxian

In the first image there are parts of the image that for my current images I pass over very quickly, because there's never anything good there. Forcing myself to look in those kinds of places, it's all good. If I owned a lens like this, I might start looking in those places all the time.

The skin to the background transition is just amazing.
06-24-2020, 09:14 AM - 3 Likes   #1032
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Summary, this lens is a 'special' one.
06-24-2020, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #1033
Pentaxian

BTW here is some view into LoCA from competitors:
Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art review - Quality of 5 - | Cameralabs
and the worst
Sony FE 85mm f1.4 GM review - Quality of 5 - | Cameralabs
+
https://media.the-digital-picture.com/Images/Other/Sony-FE-85mm-f-1.4-GM-Len...ration/f14.jpg
+
https://www.lenstip.com/upload2/165828_nbigmini_son85_ca.jpg

They all show color fringing when put under stress.
06-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #1034
Pentaxian

It is already noticeable at a non-zoomed in photo on my work screen but that's a 24" monitor displaying a photo against backlight, at f/1.4, with shadow edges against an almost-white-looking road and I know what I'm looking for. Unfortunately this aberration is not the "one click correction" kind, but as you said it's not something that detracts anything serious from the image IMO. We need a side-by-side comparison with other weighty eighties, but I doubt the D FA* will be worse than any of them.
It is not that severe fringin that it could not be taken away with big impact on the result. If I shot that same thing with FA 77 wide open or even little stopped down, there would not be image to share.
06-24-2020, 09:20 AM   #1035
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Hm. I opened LR 5 and two clicks later (one for green one for magenta) they are gone for good in that image.
And with them the colors on the shirts of both subjects, which is a much worse result . The brush tool works wonders with basically no collateral damage but it's more time consuming if you go the picky way (like a 3-5 minute job, but I can see that being a problem if you have 100+ photos...). In any case, the issue is academic - DPR will go on at length about it but I certainly don't own any lens that behaves better than this at any aperture wider than, say, f/4, much less f/1.4. As I said, it's a very tough situation and we still see only a very small aberration, which is not particularly unpleasant and isn't even present on the subjects themselves. Other photos in just-slightly-less-torturing situations show basically no aberrations which is outstanding.

---------- Post added 06-24-20 at 09:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It is not that severe fringin that it could not be taken away with big impact on the result. If I shot that same thing with FA 77 wide open or even little stopped down, there would not be image to share.
Certainly not! Me saying that it's visible doesn't mean that it's a bother (or worse than any competitor). As I just mentioned to Beholder, the brush tool gets rid of it although it takes some time longer than a simple one-click painless correction.

The FA77 does have a much worse time with such situations, some photos need a fair bit of work done for skin tones and some never get to the levels of this gorgeous piece of machinery - but it's one fifth of the weight and has its lovely character so it's no big deal.

Last edited by Serkevan; 06-24-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Closed Thread