Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1250 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #1051
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
You misunderstand me. I never said anything like that. I am just saying to your early point, I am not sure you have a DSLR camera to use with KAF4 lenses in "20 years time" as I read somewhere else. Just because of compatibility.
So the rest of your reasoning is off-topic.

A DSLR camera to my eyes is a piece of work compared to a MILC, because of mechanical true precision. One day, this mechanical precision will be costlier to produce... probably to be discontinued. That's my theory, I hope I am wrong.

Unfortunately, the market alone holds sway. Are you an absolute Pentax fan? I am not, if Pentax doesn't suit my needs, I quit, just like that. That's nothing to do with mirrorless cameras or without. Just a matter of needs. I am not convinced at all by MILCs superiority, today. But what about the next five years? Fortunately, the Pentax K-1 is the best camera for my needs, at the moment.

I pray for you to be right!

You are right, I am not a "real" Pentax user, just a real photography "amateur". But thanks to Pentax, I can use my Leica-R lenses and I would say it sounds like "Pentax made the K-1 for my personal concern and needs"... Thank you Pentax.
I am a hybrid/bastard photographer but I am very happy like this in my lonely world... I am the fruit of a dilemma: how to use my beloved lenses with a very good OVF FF DSLR camera? Just by "Leitaxing" my lenses. Not the easy way but the only one and the best one according to my needs...
If Pentax ever releases an MILC, lenses that are KAF 4 will be much easier to adapt fully. Canon EOS lenses adapt over easily to the RF mount because everything is automatic.

But honestly, with all of the lenses in the pipeline right now, it is pretty clear that they are committed to the K mount.

06-24-2020, 06:04 PM - 3 Likes   #1052
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You misunderstand me. I never said anything like that. I am just saying to your early point, I am not sure you have a DSLR camera to use with KAF4 lenses in "20 years time" as I read somewhere else.
No one is sure of anything that will happen in 20 years. I'm not sure how that's relevant? Maybe you can explain it.

Based on my last 10 years here, so half of 20 years, an awful lot of people who predicted the demise of Pentax look more and more stupid every year. I'd be looking to avoid those dudes, there's not a chance I believe what they say. You're listening to the wrong people.

Last edited by normhead; 06-24-2020 at 06:14 PM.
06-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #1053
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It would be pretty crazy to expect the K mount to be on brand new camera bodies in 20 years. The only mount that I think has a chance of that is the M mount and even then, who knows.

Every system has some glass in it to like. I don't see worrying so much about something so arbitrary and out of our control. Play it as things shake out. Let the good times roll.
06-24-2020, 07:20 PM - 4 Likes   #1054
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
And all those lenses work just fine.
How many years was it between the time they dropped support for the FD mount lenses and Sony or whomever made it possible to mount them to a digital?

---------- Post added Jun 24th, 2020 at 08:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If Pentax ever releases an MILC, lenses that are KAF 4 will be much easier to adapt fully. Canon EOS lenses adapt over easily to the RF mount because everything is automatic.

But honestly, with all of the lenses in the pipeline right now, it is pretty clear that they are committed to the K mount.
Precisely. Pentax can only fill a few niches, so they have to be choosy. If a person wants a MILC, they are going to buy it and the competition is ferocious.
This may not be a great market for Pentax, with it's market visibility, to try to break into.
Poor ROI. As, I suspect, Canon and Nikon are going to discover, and as Olympus has discovered.
Nope, if your niche is making interestingly featured DSLR cameras and the competition stops developing them in favor of EVF cameras, that's a bonus.
This is what kept Leica alive when those pesky single lens reflex cameras came along six decades ago.
I agree that Pentax will either not do a MILF, or they will be very "late" about doing it.
And if we are still shuffling along on this mortal coil we will buy it.
And it will be good.
Pentax is looking at a growth market just by doing what they do.
Keep popping out excellent lenses on a semi regular basis and update the cameras when meaningful updates rather than incremental specification changes are being done.
As Leica was the out of step camera maker in the age of the SLR, Pentax may well end up being the out of step camera maker in the age of the Milf.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 06-24-2020 at 07:49 PM.
06-24-2020, 08:46 PM - 7 Likes   #1055
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I agree that Pentax will either not do a MILF, or they will be very "late" about doing it.
Pentax may well end up being the out of step camera maker in the age of the Milf.
06-24-2020, 08:50 PM - 8 Likes   #1056
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Oh dear. Well I've let that secret out of the bag.
06-24-2020, 11:05 PM - 2 Likes   #1057
Veteran Member

I hope so for KAF4 lenses' owners.

I wish Pentax staff the success they deserve.

About CA on HD Pentax-D FA ★ 85 mm f / 1.4 SDM AW, at contre-jour, the issue is not, in real life. You can see some CA on samples, that's right but at 100% crop. That's not significant according to extremely challenging and difficult conditions. It does not affect the perfect rendition of this lens IMHO. It reminds me the Walter Mandler 3D effect you can find on Leica Summicron-R 90/2 (pre-AA) or Leica Elmarit-R 180/2.8 ver.II (pre-Apo) where bokeh is magical.
I have KAF Sigma ART 35/1.4 lens. Nobody talks about extreme distorsion at low distance with this lens which looks more fisheye than a wide-angle lens. And nobody talks about the distorsion control at all distances of the new Pentax HD D-FA SDM AW 50/1.4 and 85/1.4. IMHO, it is more important to notice than a little of CA in huge conditions...

---------- Post added 24-06-20 at 23:47 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
No one is sure of anything that will happen in 20 years. I'm not sure how that's relevant? Maybe you can explain it.
Based on my last 10 years here, so half of 20 years, an awful lot of people who predicted the demise of Pentax look more and more stupid every year. I'd be looking to avoid those dudes, there's not a chance I believe what they say. You're listening to the wrong people.
Again, I didn't predict the demise of Pentax but of a system. It happened to Leica for the R-mount for the benefit of S-system and L-MILC system.

06-24-2020, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #1058
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
A very common sense attitude Norm.
Maybe that's the problem for some ...
06-25-2020, 12:36 AM   #1059
Pentaxian

And nobody talks about the distorsion control at all distances of the new Pentax HD D-FA SDM AW 50/1.4 and 85/1.4.
Actually they do, on the other forum... where this lens has heavy distortion which is corrected via the new firmware, and I'm an imbecile for believing otherwise
06-25-2020, 01:31 AM   #1060
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Actually they do, on the other forum... where this lens has heavy distortion which is corrected via the new firmware, and I'm an imbecile for believing otherwise
May I beg you a link?
06-25-2020, 01:45 AM   #1061
Pentaxian

May I beg you a link?
Of course. But I won't give you any
(because I'm slightly, only slightly exaggerating...)
06-25-2020, 01:54 AM   #1062
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Of course. But I won't give you any
(because I'm slightly, only slightly exaggerating...)
You're a naughty boy.
06-25-2020, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #1063
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
How many years was it between the time they dropped support for the FD mount lenses and Sony or whomever made it possible to mount them to a digital?

---------- Post added Jun 24th, 2020 at 08:48 PM ----------

Precisely. Pentax can only fill a few niches, so they have to be choosy. If a person wants a MILC, they are going to buy it and the competition is ferocious.
This may not be a great market for Pentax, with it's market visibility, to try to break into.
Poor ROI. As, I suspect, Canon and Nikon are going to discover, and as Olympus has discovered.
Nope, if your niche is making interestingly featured DSLR cameras and the competition stops developing them in favor of EVF cameras, that's a bonus.
This is what kept Leica alive when those pesky single lens reflex cameras came along six decades ago.
And if we are still shuffling along on this mortal coil we will buy it.
And it will be good.
Pentax is looking at a growth market just by doing what they do.
Keep popping out excellent lenses on a semi regular basis and update the cameras when meaningful updates rather than incremental specification changes are being done.
As Leica was the out of step camera maker in the age of the SLR, Pentax may well end up being the out of step camera maker in the age of the Milf.
Pentax/Ricoh has said that they focus on DSLR, and they will keep it in their sight, of where this new tech is goin. Quite recently they did confirm that giving people a pleasure full photography experience through great OVF is their goal.

Still I’d think that they could do a ‘Milc’ if they would think it is needed. Indeed the struggle of Nikon and then again Olympus is what is clearly seen. I’d even be brave and say that possibly the long pause of building K-New was also because there might have been a Milc on the table, and question if they want to go that way. Because everything is moving that way. But it is not. Even bigger brands other than Sony struggle. Canon has made it well, but it still is what it is.

I’m happy that they made the decision of making things this way. And also that they went all the way to premium lenses to go what ever is coming in future. With plm, and these KAF 4 lenses it is indeed future proof for yrs.
06-25-2020, 03:01 AM   #1064
Pentaxian

Re: future cameras, I really hope they pull off an OVF/EVF tech - this will position them in a truly unique spot.
06-25-2020, 04:12 AM - 10 Likes   #1065
Pentaxian

So, my 85 has just hit the selling ground in Paris, just waiting behind the counter

Big day

K-1 + HD DFA*85/1.4 @ ISO100 ; f/16 ; 1/50s

Last edited by Zygonyx; 06-25-2020 at 04:24 AM.
Closed Thread