Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2020, 11:53 PM - 27 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Forums Statement on the Coronavirus

Dear PF community,

I hope you are all staying safe and healthy in these unprecedented times!

While most online stores and shopping services remain open, I wanted to share a reminder that it is believed that the virus can live on surfaces for some period of time, so please follow the currently recommended precautions to clean/disinfect any potentially contaminated surfaces (including packages and their contents) and wash your hands as needed: Cleaning and Disinfection for Households | CDC

Also, be on the lookout for coronavirus-themed online scams (such as fake charity sites) and e-mails with links to attachments that might contain malware or try to phish your credentials. There are also coronavirus maps out there that are loaded with ransomware. Cybercriminals are taking heavy advantage of the global panic and are ramping up their attacks, so please be careful.

For those members who have been staying home over the course of the past weeks, I hope that the forum has proved to be a fun place to hang out, as well as a valuable resource. If anyone is facing financial hardship during this crisis, know that we're here to help as much as we can. I'd be happy to offer free access to our Marketplace for those who might need it (please shoot me a PM), and we will be relaxing our rules on what can and cannot be listed. The Marketplace isn't limited to Pentax items: you may also list non-Pentax photo related gear as well as any electronics.

Lastly, our upcoming April photo contest will feature a theme that's indoor-friendly.

Best wishes to all,

Adam

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-30-2020, 12:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Thanks Adam. Here in the UK I think we're going to get a lot more familiar with the indoors than we've been up to now! I suspect we'll be told to remain indoors even more than now - at the moment we can still go out to exercise but things will probably change. I'm going to take out my K1 and 50 1.4 - The Fat One! - and get some shots of the kids as they go about their homeschooling. I very much hope to look back on this in the future and say, Remember When..?

I echo your sentiment and wish the best to everyone here on the forums.
03-30-2020, 01:25 AM   #3
Forum Member

Any news on how well Ricoh and its Pentax brand are weathering the economic storm brought on by the Coronavirus?
03-30-2020, 07:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GregL65 Quote
Any news on how well Ricoh and its Pentax brand are weathering the economic storm brought on by the Coronavirus?
Aside from your monetary concerns, I do hope that their workforce and countrymen are not adversely affected by the current situation. All else can be taken care of in due time.

03-30-2020, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Cox Quote
Aside from your monetary concerns
My question about the economic impact doesn't imply a lack of concern about the direct effects of the virus. As a resident of King County in Washington State, living just 13 miles from the Kirkland nursing home where it started with such a bang in the US, I don't need to be schooled about the direct effects of the virus, thank you. After that nursing home, the next case we were told of was someone connected to the large public middle school closest to my house.

The reason I didn't ask about that is because anyone can easily look up how Japan is doing as far as that goes. At this writing, it's 1,896 known cases and 57 deceased out of a population of 125,950,000, putting them at 77th most affected among world nations per capita, after Indonesia and Argentina, and before Egypt.

But the economic impact can't be easily looked up, at least not yet, thus my question.

Last edited by GregL65; 03-30-2020 at 08:23 AM.
03-30-2020, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Let's keep this friendly and courteous, foks. Thank you
03-30-2020, 09:17 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for your message Adam. I must admit, now being limited to a much smaller world, between on-line workouts and group meetings with Zoom, I've been more present here on the forum again. I have to laugh at the April photo contest theme, perfect choice of course. Anyway, thanks.

03-30-2020, 10:47 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Adam, thanks for starting this thread. For any of you who want a very informative, in-depth lesson/instruction on how to stay safe, please watch the video I linked below. It is from a Pulmonary Physician in New York, and it very good. It is about an hour long, but worth the time.

Sorry folks, I guess the video got taken down

Last edited by ToddK; 03-30-2020 at 10:50 AM. Reason: link did not work
03-30-2020, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Adam, thanks for starting this thread. For any of you who want a very informative, in-depth lesson/instruction on how to stay safe, please watch the video I linked below. It is from a Pulmonary Physician in New York, and it very good. It is about an hour long, but worth the time.

Sorry folks, I guess the video got taken down
Well, in it's place I'll offer this blunt and scary video. It's 34 minutes, very frank, but really clear.

03-30-2020, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Adam for this forum and all you do. Thanks to all for keeping very high standards of personal behavior, far better than most of the other social media outlets. Even before this virus, I was socially distant from most people and the current practices require very little change on my part, other than restricting my ability to move about freely and practice photography without much concern. However, this forum provides an outlet for social interaction I enjoy. I don't post here a lot, but I do check, read, and enjoy the discussions 2 or 3 times a day.

Please heed the instructions of your health officials and do all you can to protect yourself and others.
03-30-2020, 04:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GregL65 Quote
My question about the economic impact doesn't imply a lack of concern about the direct effects of the virus. As a resident of King County in Washington State, living just 13 miles from the Kirkland nursing home where it started with such a bang in the US, I don't need to be schooled about the direct effects of the virus, thank you. After that nursing home, the next case we were told of was someone connected to the large public middle school closest to my house.

The reason I didn't ask about that is because anyone can easily look up how Japan is doing as far as that goes. At this writing, it's 1,896 known cases and 57 deceased out of a population of 125,950,000, putting them at 77th most affected among world nations per capita, after Indonesia and Argentina, and before Egypt.

But the economic impact can't be easily looked up, at least not yet, thus my question.
Sorry, obviously that message came across incorrectly. My intention was not to school anyone. Stay safe during these difficult times.
03-30-2020, 07:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for this post Adam. I recently ordered a cable release on Amazon for my KP. It came Saturday. My wife brought it in and handed it to me. I had opened the package before I noticed it had been shipped from Brooklyn NY, right in the middle of one of the US's corona hotspots. I immediately took the item and the packaging back outside and sprayed them down with disinfectant, along with my hands. Better safe than sorry.
04-01-2020, 05:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks Adam, We are secluded but doing well. We see our granddaughters for now as their mother is a nurse on the front lines. We will see where this goes here in Wisconsin. We shop one a week, go early and get out in 30 minutes or less. We are fortunate as have 40 acres of land to roam and hike and many roads to walk. We pray for all.
Theo
04-04-2020, 07:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I very much appreciate Pentax Forums Statement on Coronavirus. While I do not check the forums everyday, I do check regularly and enjoy the many different posts from our wide range of experienced members.

Your post was very appropriate and timely. We cannot receive enough guidance and support and reminders as each of us takes care of our families during these troubling times.
04-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FYI: Here in Louisville an outfit came to town and set up a drive through covid-19 test site in the poorer section of the city. If one had the correct insurance the test was free. If not, the charge was $200. They were literally run out of town by community activists and the president of the city the city council.

Clues: The banner they set up did not reference an association with any other organization.
They did not contact city government. At the time the only legit test site was University Hospital.
HIPAA was misspelled on their forms.
The nurses did not change gloves between giving the swabbings.
They only did throat swabs. The real test does nasal swabs.

Folks giving up their personal info, social security numbers, Medicaid numbers and Passport health numbers enable these scammers to bill Medicaid for thousands of dollars plus whatever else they can do with that info.