Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #31
RaduA
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
What I find interesting in the sales rankings is how the double-lens kit is outselling the single-lens one. I'm not privy to Japanese buying habits, so this could be the norm for them.

I'm probably just more used to people buying single-lens kits and opting to buy the longer kit zoom later on.

Also interesting is the G1 holding its own amidst the heavyweights of Canon and Nikon. A good micro-4/3 showing by Olympus later on might carve out a nice marketshare for them.

And a part of me thinks that Nikon is still making the D40.
Hi, Vinzer

Yes the dual kit seems pretty hot sellers in Japan (and not only there). In Romania as well we have good deals on dual zoom kits and many take advantage to get a heavily discounted budget tele besides the wide zoom. I also saw that D80 is pretty big in sales and in general not the expensive cameras make the most of it and not even the "cool" ones - except for the G1 which I confess really surprised me. One last detail: did you noticed that Pana sells a lot of blue and red ones besides black? I remember Photokina and the uproar about the K-m "Swarowski Edition". I mean make it yellow and pink if you sell more as long as I can have a black one ...

Kudos to Pana, and some hopes for us with the K-m!

Regards,
Radu

11-11-2008, 11:20 PM   #32
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,730
It will be interesting to see figure and places close to the end of November and December.
But 13 place is not bad at all.
11-12-2008, 06:23 AM   #33
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Hi, Vinzer

Yes the dual kit seems pretty hot sellers in Japan (and not only there). In Romania as well we have good deals on dual zoom kits and many take advantage to get a heavily discounted budget tele besides the wide zoom. I also saw that D80 is pretty big in sales and in general not the expensive cameras make the most of it and not even the "cool" ones - except for the G1 which I confess really surprised me. One last detail: did you noticed that Pana sells a lot of blue and red ones besides black? I remember Photokina and the uproar about the K-m "Swarowski Edition". I mean make it yellow and pink if you sell more as long as I can have a black one ...

Kudos to Pana, and some hopes for us with the K-m!

Regards,
Radu
The only dual-lens kits I've seen offered here, regardless of brand, are kits from Sony and Olympus (haven't seen the K-m where I'm at, still). Even then, you don't save a whole lot by buying the dual-lens kits, so probably that's why not much buy those here. I'll prevent myself from launching another tirade directed at the local distributors.

Thanks for pointing out how Panasonic's moving a lot of those colored G1s. I failed to notice that. I'm not sure if the concept of interchangeable bezels/skins/etc. will fly with regular forum members here, but, like you, I'll welcome it as long as they still have the plain, boring black version of the camera. The novelty factor of offering DSLRs in multiple colors can certainly help Pentax's "Mama's first camera" campaign for the K-m. Pastel pink K-ms would probably sell.
11-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #34
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 787
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Good to hear about the improved AF speed. It should mean faster AF for future cameras.
yes, better AF IS is good news indeed.

this means the next releases k3x's should incorporate the improvements!

makes it easier to hold off buying a k20 for the next one.

11-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #35
RaduA
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
The only dual-lens kits I've seen offered here, regardless of brand, are kits from Sony and Olympus (haven't seen the K-m where I'm at, still). Even then, you don't save a whole lot by buying the dual-lens kits, so probably that's why not much buy those here. I'll prevent myself from launching another tirade directed at the local distributors.

Thanks for pointing out how Panasonic's moving a lot of those colored G1s. I failed to notice that. I'm not sure if the concept of interchangeable bezels/skins/etc. will fly with regular forum members here, but, like you, I'll welcome it as long as they still have the plain, boring black version of the camera. The novelty factor of offering DSLRs in multiple colors can certainly help Pentax's "Mama's first camera" campaign for the K-m. Pastel pink K-ms would probably sell.
Hi, Vinzer!

In Romania usualy our Pentax representative sells a form of K200D dual kit (sometimes with a Sigma 55-200 tele) for the price of single kit +20-30% tops of the tele lens price. We get sometimes another good bundle for K200D + grip (also heavily discounted).

I just seen something interesting on Amazon.jp: the K-m dual kit is labeled: "Usually ships within 2-3 days" so they probably sell more than they can ship to vendors atm.

Regards,
Radu
11-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #36
RaduA
Guest




from 11/10 till 11/16

Number in red signifies the place in Pentax range last week:

1. K-m double kit on 19th down from 13th (1);
2. K-m kit on 26th up from 34th (3);
3. K200D kit on 31st up from 33rd place (2);
4. K20D body on 45th up from 53rd (5);
5. K200D double kit on 47th down from 46th (5);
6. K-m body on 47th up from 53rd (6);
7. K200D body on 61st down from 55th7).

4 ups and 3 downs for a added plus of 24 places (all 7 cameras ranking combined minus places from the last week combined) of course this shows only the trend and not something certain in market share.

Last week's performance of the 7 models relative to the previous one was at -54 places combined.

See you next week!
Radu



QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
I'll keep the previous week for reference and for this week we have what appears to become a trend: all K-m models are at least very near their K200D counterparts or severely beating them despite the very low price differential. The K-m dual kit became the highest ranking Pentax model for a week's sales with the hope that the next week will bring for it the access to top 10.

Without further ado let's sumarise the sales and evolutions (number in red signifies the place in Pentax range last week):

1. K-m double kit on 13th up from 22nd (2);
2. K200D kit on 33rd down from 14th place (1);
3. K-m kit on 34th up from 42nd (6);
4. K200D double kit on 46th down from 31st (3);
5. K20D body on 53rd down from 49th (7);
6. K-m body on 53rd (same as K20D body) down from 34th (4);
7. K200D body on 55th down from 41st (a small discrepancy in the statistics since last week t was on 38th place) (5).

So I guess the new K-m muscled itself as the bestseller in the Pentax range let's see how well it will hold and/or improve.

Regards,
Radu
11-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #37
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,399
Keep up the updates, Radu. Always interesting to see sales figures. Not that it affects my own purchase decisions, but still.
11-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #38
RaduA
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Keep up the updates, Radu. Always interesting to see sales figures. Not that it affects my own purchase decisions, but still.
Yes, I'll try to keep up this pet project of mine. Anyway the bad news is that I had an "official confirmation" today that Pentax is unable to meet the production demands for the K-m at the moment so I guess in a few weeks time at least we'll have a statistics based more on sales interest and less on production performances.

Regards,
Radu

11-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #39
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangor, Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,382
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Anyway the bad news is that I had an "official confirmation" today that Pentax is unable to meet the production demands for the K-m at the moment
Regards,
Radu
That is a long way from bad news. If they are outselling production capacity that means they should be making money hand over fist.
11-18-2008, 04:09 PM   #40
RaduA
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
That is a long way from bad news. If they are outselling production capacity that means they should be making money hand over fist.
Unfortunatelly, Ken, not at the numbers I've heard about. It could be a matter of Pentax Europe distributing more units towards bigger markets (France, Germany) but I still think there are not enough made ATM. December will tell more!

Regards,
Radu
11-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #41
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 787
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
When will the K-m body only be available in the US and around how much? I hope it'll be around $400 (please please please). I want one for xmas!
i bet the bodies are made in "cebu" in mactan.
maybe they can sell it there ? probably not.

just wondering.
11-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #42
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangor, Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,382
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Unfortunatelly, Ken, not at the numbers I've heard about. It could be a matter of Pentax Europe distributing more units towards bigger markets (France, Germany) but I still think there are not enough made ATM. December will tell more!

Regards,
Radu
It really doesn't matter witch market they are going to. The key is are they selling as many as the factory can produce? If you are saying the total numbers are low and they can't get the bodies made then there is a problem at the production level. Which is it?

Ken
11-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #43
RaduA
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
It really doesn't matter witch market they are going to. The key is are they selling as many as the factory can produce? If you are saying the total numbers are low and they can't get the bodies made then there is a problem at the production level. Which is it?

Ken
ATM they are not available to my local market in numbers. Why? I really don't know ...
11-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #44
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
i bet the bodies are made in "cebu" in mactan.
maybe they can sell it there ? probably not.

just wondering.
Unfortunately, the local Pentax distributor thought it fun to sell Pentax items at near-full markup here, so aside from the stereotype that Nikon- and Canon-branded cameras are the best, new buyers are also put off by the high prices for Pentax items here.

Here's hoping they wise up to the market, lest they simply become storage warehouses for Pentax products.
11-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #45
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 787
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Unfortunately, the local Pentax distributor thought it fun to sell Pentax items at near-full markup here, so aside from the stereotype that Nikon- and Canon-branded cameras are the best, new buyers are also put off by the high prices for Pentax items here.

Here's hoping they wise up to the market, lest they simply become storage warehouses for Pentax products.
full markup ? now, that's no way to get market share.
hmmm pentax marketing needs work there.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, imo, k-m, k200d, kit, market, nr, pentax news, pentax rumors, sales
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-7 sales climbing in Japan gazonk Pentax News and Rumors 29 01-28-2010 09:01 AM
Sales of the K-x in Japan pushed back 17 days creampuff Pentax News and Rumors 13 10-11-2009 04:20 PM
DA* 300mm sales.... Buddha Jones Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 07-11-2009 10:43 AM
What's Up With All The Sales? rparmar Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 40 11-06-2008 07:46 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:15 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top