Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
full markup ? now, that's no way to get market share.
hmmm pentax marketing needs work there.
Quite common for a "new to market" camera to be sold at near full MSRP but it all depends on how many they make and what the demand is. Pentax seem to stay a ways behind the demand curve so they can work more or less at full capacity all the time. When capacity catches up with demand, then the price comes down to generate demand.

However, I personally dont think they pitched this camera right. Its too expensive and does not have any stand out features that would justify being as much as its direct competition (several of which have live view and none of which have burst restrictions in JPEG).

But we'll see I guess.

11-19-2008, 05:42 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
full markup ? now, that's no way to get market share.
hmmm pentax marketing needs work there.
You tell me. Save from the ads posted on the distributor's own store, there are no ad materials to be found elsewhere. I'm not too sure if they even retained the services of an ad agency. Maybe they're just happy to manufacture cameras here.

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Quite common for a "new to market" camera to be sold at near full MSRP but it all depends on how many they make and what the demand is. Pentax seem to stay a ways behind the demand curve so they can work more or less at full capacity all the time. When capacity catches up with demand, then the price comes down to generate demand.

However, I personally dont think they pitched this camera right. Its too expensive and does not have any stand out features that would justify being as much as its direct competition (several of which have live view and none of which have burst restrictions in JPEG).

But we'll see I guess.
Hi Steve! I'm speaking of Pentax prices in general, and not just new releases. When the K10D was already available on the street for ~$700, our local distributor was still charging ~$1000 for it. I figured they'd be more lenient since we have a much lower GDP than the US and other European countries, but, alas, we get those prices.