Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2008, 06:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When will the K-m body only be available in the US and around how much? I hope it'll be around $400 (please please please). I want one for xmas!

11-04-2008, 07:33 AM   #17
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
When will the K-m body only be available in the US and around how much? I hope it'll be around $400 (please please please). I want one for xmas!
Joe,

If you look at japanese prices the difference between body only and one lens kit is about 20USD. For that kind of difference I don't know if the body only offer it's worth waiting for. Buy one kit and sell the lens for 30 bucks this is my advice.

Regards,
Radu
11-04-2008, 08:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Serious?? Oh well haha! Thanks Radu!
11-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #19
RaduA

Serious?? Oh well haha! Thanks Radu!
No problem, Joe glad if I could of helped you. I just got some infos this afternoon that Hoya really put the gears in motion and first units become available worldwide so in some weeks the competition between dealers will lower prices a bit IMO.

Hope you get one soon and have a lot of fun with it!

Regards,
Radu

11-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #20
cyg

It seems to be available in Canada. Not sure about quantity but several vendors have them in stock.

Wrt kit or body only, I ws originally planning to buy body only but I was thinking along the same line -- how long am I willing to wait to save 20$?
11-05-2008, 02:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I just stopped off at the local chain electronics store to get some paper and noticed they had the K-m on display (the only Pentax DSLR they had). I picked it up and was pleasantly surprised at how small they made it. It is a world apart from the K20D.

And I was startled at how fast the AF was.
11-05-2008, 03:31 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I just stopped off at the local chain electronics store to get some paper and noticed they had the K-m on display (the only Pentax DSLR they had). I picked it up and was pleasantly surprised at how small they made it. It is a world apart from the K20D.

Yeah it feels so much smaller than it looks right?

How much does it cost there?

11-05-2008, 04:54 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Good to hear about the improved AF speed. It should mean faster AF for future cameras.
11-05-2008, 05:18 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Yeah it feels so much smaller than it looks right?

How much does it cost there?
I believe that shop had it for about 79,000 yen with the double zoom kit. I'm sure better deals can be had, though.
11-05-2008, 05:52 AM   #25
RaduA

I believe that shop had it for about 79,000 yen with the double zoom kit. I'm sure better deals can be had, though.
PENTAX PENTAX K-m ????????? PENTAX K-m ????????? | BCN?????

3 offers from 64700 up to 79900 Yen with a 71022 in the middle.

Regards,
Radu
11-05-2008, 06:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

ouch that's pretty expensive. can't wait for prices to go down. thanks mike!
11-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #27
RaduA

from 11/02 till 11/09

I'll keep the previous week for reference and for this week we have what appears to become a trend: all K-m models are at least very near their K200D counterparts or severely beating them despite the very low price differential. The K-m dual kit became the highest ranking Pentax model for a week's sales with the hope that the next week will bring for it the access to top 10.

Without further ado let's sumarise the sales and evolutions (number in red signifies the place in Pentax range last week):

1. K-m double kit on 13th up from 22nd (2);
2. K200D kit on 33rd down from 14th place (1);
3. K-m kit on 34th up from 42nd (6);
4. K200D double kit on 46th down from 31st (3);
5. K20D body on 53rd down from 49th (7);
6. K-m body on 53rd (same as K20D body) down from 34th (4);
7. K200D body on 55th down from 41st (a small discrepancy in the statistics since last week t was on 38th place) (5).

So I guess the new K-m muscled itself as the bestseller in the Pentax range let's see how well it will hold and/or improve.

Regards,
Radu

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
??????????? | ??? | ??????????? BCN?????

Best placed Pentax model K200D kit on 14th up from 19th place
K-m double kit on 22nd up from 23rd;
K200D double kit on 31st down from 25th;
K-m body on 34th up from 41st;
K200D body on 38th up from 49th;
K-m kit on 42nd down from 37th;
K20D body on 49th up from 52nd place (for comparisson D300 body is on 44th place down from 35th last week);

Some time a go they had actual market share for every model and I remember that for a place around 15th there was something like 2.x% market share then places between 20-30 had around 1%. My guesstimate is that atm Pentax has an "instant market share for the week" of 6-6.5% in Japan with a proportion of 50-55% for K200D variants, 30-35% K-m variants and ~15% K20D variants.

Regards,
Radu
11-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
So I guess the new K-m muscled itself as the bestseller in the Pentax range let's see how well it will hold and/or improve.

Regards,
Radu

Every Pentax DSLR are the most sold in the range upon release. First weeks, or even months, sales means very little. If the camera is not among the five most sold in Japan initially, it will be regarded as a flop for a camera in the high volume segment.
11-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #29
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Every Pentax DSLR are the most sold in the range upon release. First weeks, or even months, sales means very little. If the camera is not among the five most sold in Japan initially, it will be regarded as a flop for a camera in the high volume segment.
Pal,

If the first months doesn't count, please feel free to contribute to this thread in the (very distant) future. I for sure won't miss your unmistakable platitudes wrote down as absolute truths.
Q: As a logical exercise if the K-m dk were @6, K-m k @7 and K-m body @8 I guess it won't mean a succes for Pentax even though they would have 2 or 3 times the current market share, isn't it? After all there is no camera in top 5 ...

One last remark: I initiated this thread so we can have some sort of hard numbers or at least trends in Pentax sales on one important market and I count all the ups and downs so let's keep it in the numbers realm if possible.

Regards,
Radu
11-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #30
Veteran Member

What I find interesting in the sales rankings is how the double-lens kit is outselling the single-lens one. I'm not privy to Japanese buying habits, so this could be the norm for them.

I'm probably just more used to people buying single-lens kits and opting to buy the longer kit zoom later on.

Also interesting is the G1 holding its own amidst the heavyweights of Canon and Nikon. A good micro-4/3 showing by Olympus later on might carve out a nice marketshare for them.

And a part of me thinks that Nikon is still making the D40.