Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2020, 06:13 AM - 9 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

(New K-mount lenses) The return of the revenge: Meyer Optik Görlitz by OPC Optics

You might remember a small German group named net SE resurrecting the Meyer Optik Görlitz brand back in 2014. They offered lenses (available in K and M42 mounts among others) which were first expensive rebranded versions of Chinese (Mitakon Creator and Speedmaster) and Russian (Helios 40-2) lenses, then expensive adaptations of Meyer Optik lenses from the 20th century (Trioplan, Trimagon, Primoplan, Lydith, Primotar, Plasmat).

net SE also rebooted, or tried to reboot, such vintage brands as Oprema Jena Biotar, Emil Busch A.-G. Rathenow, C.P. Goerz, Ihagee and A. Schacht.

The whole venture was a Ponzi scheme based on (i) crowdfunding platforms (Kickstarter and Indiegogo) and (ii) pre-orders via the Meyer Optik Görlitz website.

Globell B.V., net SE's main operational subsidiary (a software editor and distributor, net SE's original business) was declared insolvent as of 7 November 2017 and liquidated and dissolved as of 29 May 2018. The falling Globell B.V. might have been the main cash drain, temporarily 'patched' by the lens crowdfunding projects.

net SE was declared insolvent as of 17 July 2018 and liquidated and dissolved as of 1st October 2018.

net SE had raised a total of $4.2m through lens crowdfunding campaigns, of which $3.2m under the Meyer Optik Görlitz brand. Unknown additional amounts had been raised from web pre-orders. Many backers and clients never received their products.

One of net SE's creditors, OPC Optical Precision Components Europe GmbH a.k.a. OPC Optics, a German supplier of high-precision lens elements (they provided aspherical elements for the Primagon 24mm f/2.8 prototypes but were never paid), acquired the trademark rights to Meyer Optik Görlitz and other intellectual property rights at the end of 2018.

OPC Optics' project was to relaunch the Meyer Optik Görlitz brand by optimising the design of some of the existing products, discontinuing the rebranded Chinese and Russian products, optimising production processes including relocating production in Germany, and developing new products.

In July 2019 OPC Optics announced they would redesign and relaunch the Trioplan 100, Trioplan 50, Lydith 30, Primoplan 75, Primoplan 58 and Trioplan 35, in that order, and launch a brand-new Primagon 50mm f/2.

In February 2020 OPC Optics announced they would present 'new versions of the historic lenses and future visions' at Photokina 2020. They planned to 'have six lenses - Trioplan 100, Trioplan 50 and Trioplan 35, as well as Primoplan 75, Primoplan 58 and the Lydith 30 - in serial production and for the most part already available by the time of the fair', which was scheduled at the end of May 2020.

Photokina 2020 has been cancelled due to Covid-19 but the first of the new lenses, the Trioplan 100mm f/2.8 II, can now be ordered from the Meyer Optik Görlitz website. Lydith 30 f3.5 II, Trioplan 50 f2.8 II, Primoplan 75 f1.9 II and Primoplan 58 f1.9 II will follow shortly.

Trioplan 100 f2.8 II | Meyer Optik Görlitz lenses - Tradition meets innovation

- Cooke triplet (three elements in three groups)
- improved optical design with better contrast and sharpness but retaining the typical soap bubble bokeh
- lens elements manufactured by OPC Optics
- newly designed lens coating
- optimised mechanics (improved haptics, especially with regard to the aperture setting)
- high-precision mechanical components manufactured by German subcontractors
- manual focus and aperture setting
- minimum focusing distance reduced to 90cm
- 15-blade aperture
- filter diameter: 52mm
- available in Canon EF, M42, Nikon F, Pentax K, Fujifilm X, Leica L, Leica M (uncoupled), µ4/3 and Sony E mounts
- €999 (this includes 20% VAT and is equivalent to around $900).

Three official pictures taken with the Trioplan 100mm f/2.8 II:

Last edited by Mistral75; 04-09-2020 at 02:25 PM.
04-08-2020, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Awesome news!
Love seeing new lenses added to the line up even from third parties!
Makes me wonder how this company can see profit in producing both m42 and K mount lenses (among many others) when Sigma and Tamron claim there is no money in continuing to support the K mount..
04-08-2020, 07:37 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

To be fair, their K-mount lenses have no aperture lever, nor electrical contacts. It's just a metal plate with bayonet, easy to swap with any other mount.
04-08-2020, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
To be fair, their K-mount lenses have no aperture lever, nor electrical contacts. It's just a metal plate with bayonet, easy to swap with any other mount.
Very true - thanks for clearing that up.

04-08-2020, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
and no AF.

K-mount has same flange distance as M42, so making both mounts is very simple.
04-08-2020, 09:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From what I see, this applies to all the mounts. Should be easy to have the bodies manufactured with a mount holder and then just throw in the correct adapter.
04-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Thank you for this good news !

04-08-2020, 11:30 AM - 9 Likes   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Cheap to make and amazingly overpriced.

Steve
04-08-2020, 11:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
They are good at something: I am now eyeing a couple of good-condition MGO Orestegors in M42 mount that the Canon lady also considers using... so there's that
04-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
They are good at something: I am now eyeing a couple of good-condition MGO Orestegors in M42 mount that the Canon lady also considers using... so there's that
Inverting the front element on a Zenitar 50mm will also work.

Steve
04-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Inverting the front element on a Zenitar 50mm will also work.

Steve
Interesting... I would consider getting one and performing surgery, but our cat would certainly manage to sit inside the open lens and a Persian fluffball wouldn't do the lens any good

On topic: I remember seeing the Trioplan 100/2.8 on Ebay for a fistful of euros (up to 100-150€ for a very good copy maybe) and now they are at 300+ easily... *Shakes fist at MILC users and their easy adaptation fagocitation!
04-08-2020, 12:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For the price they are asking you can get a lot of fun legacy glass....
04-08-2020, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Steve
I think you have just demonstrated an excellent understanding of their business model...

I think that also explains how seemingly everyone and her brother is now making 50mm Leica M-mount lenses.

Still, cool to have new lenses, and I'll see if that Lydith is any good before I say too many bad things

-Eric
04-09-2020, 03:16 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So why would someone get a Trioplan 100 over a Pentax DFA 100 macro WR? I looked at the images on their site and I thought the bokeh was pretty rough, although I suppose some people might like that "hard edged soap bubble" bokeh.
04-09-2020, 03:28 AM   #15
Pentaxian

It's for the bubbles of course, but so much more fun with a legacy trioplan. The samples are pretty poor.