Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
1/ I posted three examples taken with the Trioplan 100mm f/2.8 II, the 'OPC Trioplan', in the first post of this thread.

2/ Answer #15 by @D1N0

3/ Answer #16 by @edri

It seems to me the references made here are to the pictures I posted, i.e. the 'OPC Trioplan', not the 'net SE Trioplan'.
It seems to me, you forgot one reference. Anyway, there is no comparison, but only statements.

The attitude towards this Cooke triplet 100mm lens, that is reflected here, without having 1:1 comparisons available, I do not understand.

04-14-2020, 12:57 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
On a positive note, our Pentacon 200mm f/4 is on the way (16€ with delivery!), with all its glorious 15 blades. I also got a couple adapters (M42-EF and M42-PK). As I don't plan to use this lens for anything other than portraits or close focus bokeh shots, I chose a cheap flanged adapter to avoid having to cover the mount - I'm lazy like that and the original Pentax M42-PK adapters seem to have vanished from Europe...

Bristol Cameras Pentax M42 To K Mount Bayonet Body Mount Adapter - Best Price at Bristol Cameras are still advertising the original as "available to order" ... might be worth asking, if you're interested, but I'll agree, the flanged adaptor makes a lot of sense in most circumstances

---------- Post added 04-14-20 at 01:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have shot with several M42 lenses {including the Takumar 50mm, Mir 37mm, and Takumar35mm) and never needed to 'cover the mount'.
Mostly it's not an issue, but my Helios-44-2 especially (not the later models or the Industar-50-2) and a couple of my early 135mm lenses are slim enough to leave the gaps exposed. It's the gap nearest the shutter button that causes a problem, according to a couple of basic tests I made with a torch in a dark room, a stretchy hair-band solves the issue

Last edited by kypfer; 04-14-2020 at 02:12 AM.
04-14-2020, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Mostly it's not an issue, but my Helios-44-2 especially (not the later models or the Industar-50-2) and a couple of my early 135mm lenses are slim enough to leave the gaps exposed. It's the gap nearest the shutter button that causes a problem, according to a couple of basic tests I made with a torch in a dark room, a stretchy hair-band solves the issue
I admit to having just a few M42 lenses - all vintage lenses like the Takumar 50mm, and I have zero problems with the original adapter. I do have a flanged adapter, but it makes no sense at all, because it does eliminate infinity focusing, and the few times I use an M42 lens, I use it as a 'regular' lens.
04-14-2020, 09:53 AM - 8 Likes   #34

Photos: Albums
I do love the Primoplan and hope that will be one of the next lenses they will re-release. I have two original M42 versions, one standard and one in the mini-body. The rendering is something quite special and the lens is a good performer given its age. The mechanics and coatings are not that amazing, particularly with the K-Mount adapter, which other people have mentioned already, so a native K-Mount version would be nice to have. I regret not having picked up the K-Mount version when it was on sale for €450, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend €999 on it...

The same holds for the Trioplan 100. It's a speciality lens, and the bokeh can make or break a photo depending on the circumstances. A smooth bokeh is just a stylistic choice, and not every photo will benefit from it. The FA43 ltd can have a harsh OOF rendering, too, but in the right context the background can look like an impressionist painting by Monet or Renoir.

I hope OPC has retained the characteristic rendering (because what's the point otherwise?), but those photos are too early to tell. The original Trioplan doesn't bubble in every photo and for every OOF highlight, but is a bit selective, e.g. bubbles here:

compared to a more characteristic example of the Trioplan 100 bokeh:

The Pentacon/Meyer Orestor 100mm and 135mm lenses have a very different, much smoother image characteristic, but even other triplets don't bubble as much. So even slight changes in design might reduce the bubbles, and if the bubbling characteristic has been reduced it kinda defeats the purpose of the lens. It's a shame that the sample photos provided by OPC don't show the typical Trioplan-bubbles, and I hope that that's just because they picked unrepresentative photos, rather than the lens behaving differently.

04-15-2020, 01:04 AM   #35

Photos: Gallery
Great images. The rendering should be a feature of the cooke triplet lens design (or modified cooke triplet in case of the primoplans).It is present across the different focal length lenses, available. Whether you modify the mechanics or move to modern glass should not really impact the out of focus rendering, but compairative images would show. It is also that out of focus rendering, why a lot of professsional photographers go for that lens (and not so much for the bubble effect).
04-15-2020, 02:55 AM - 3 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

Hi and thanks for the info !!! Nice to know.

There is an alternative if one is seeking for this type of "look" ... slide projector lenses.

I posted these images yesterday after a quick construction of a new rig using an Aldis Star Anastigmat 100mm f/2.8 projector lens on the Fuji X-E2 as a first test. I picked up the lens at my thrift store attached to a working slide projector for 6€.

Here's the x-post of those images and here's the thread if one is curious about slide projector and other simple lenses ... The "Projector Lens" Club ... - PentaxForums.com

A new entry ... an Aldis Star Anastigmat 100/2.8 projection lens wide open on my Fuji X-E2. This lens has its own helicoid housing and I have mounted it for now in a large Chinese K-mount extension tube. I have infinity and will share a few more images later on ... here, some rushed tests out in my backyard before I had to get diner on the table. Ha!

04-15-2020, 03:46 AM - 8 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Inverting the front element on a Zenitar 50mm will also work.

Steve
Inverting the front element on a Helios 44-2 is a bit of fun, too ...

04-15-2020, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Meyer Optik Görlitz Trioplan 100mm f/2.8 II. Source: Facebook

04-16-2020, 06:55 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Hi again.

Check out this YouTube video at about the 2 and a half minute mark ... the projector lens makes a pretty good showing against the Meyer Optik Trioplan 100/2.8 II ... https://youtu.be/uL6NjJPqCIg?t=150

Entire video ⇒

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 04-16-2020 at 07:09 AM.
04-16-2020, 07:42 AM   #40
Pentaxian

That is quite a bargain, compared to trioplan.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Hi and thanks for the info !!! Nice to know.

There is an alternative if one is seeking for this type of "look" ... slide projector lenses.

I posted these images yesterday after a quick construction of a new rig using an Aldis Star Anastigmat 100mm f/2.8 projector lens on the Fuji X-E2 as a first test. I picked up the lens at my thrift store attached to a working slide projector for 6€.

Here's the x-post of those images and here's the thread if one is curious about slide projector and other simple lenses ... The "Projector Lens" Club ... - PentaxForums.com

A new entry ... an Aldis Star Anastigmat 100/2.8 projection lens wide open on my Fuji X-E2. This lens has its own helicoid housing and I have mounted it for now in a large Chinese K-mount extension tube. I have infinity and will share a few more images later on ... here, some rushed tests out in my backyard before I had to get diner on the table. Ha!

04-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Do these bubblegum-lenses work with infrared? Construction seems simple enough to not cause huge flaring and hotspot ping-pong games with the sensor cover glass. Funny enough, one of my best IR lenses is now EM Ennalyt 35mm from 1960 or so.
04-17-2020, 12:56 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Do these bubblegum-lenses work with infrared? Construction seems simple enough to not cause huge flaring and hotspot ping-pong games with the sensor cover glass. Funny enough, one of my best IR lenses is now EM Ennalyt 35mm from 1960 or so.
I've yet to try one of my triplets with an infra-red filter, the filter-thread on my Trioplan is too small to suit my existing filters. I'll have a go with my Domiplan, or my Cassaron (if I can get the aperture to behave itself) and report back ... might be interesting

FWIW, I've had some infra-red success with a Pentacon 29mm f/2.8 and a Fujinon 28mm f/3.5 in recent days, on my *ist DL2, but I've yet to try any of my Enna lenses
04-17-2020, 02:50 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Thanks, I am interested in that circle bokeh. Might be funky with IR-Chrome and other nice filters.
04-17-2020, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Meyer Optik Görlitz Trioplan 50mm f/2.8 II. Source: Facebook

04-18-2020, 09:51 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Took my Domiplan for a walk this afternoon, Meyer Optik's later incarnation of their 50mm triplet, from the '60's ... seems to be fine with a Lee 87 on the front. Just one minor issue, the filter thread rotates as the aperture is changed ... bit of a nuisance with a Cokin holder and square hood

The camera is my unmodified *ist DL2 , 0.5sec @ f/8 200ASA