Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I understand where you are coming from. However, some of us are skeptical because he has shot only 1 older Pentax dSLR for any length of time. Yet he is an expert on these newer bodies. I don't care all read he is or how much he hased used Canon dslr, he still is a Pentax dSLR rookie in many respects.
I have to agree with Blue. Based on some of the statements he has made, I have come to believe that RH is probably not old enough to have 20+ years of experience. His expertise seems limited to the digital era and is not particularly deep even in that realm. In all fairness, however; one has to admit that RH expends a ton of energy on research on the current state of the technology and industry movement. Whether you agree with his analysis and conclusions is another matter.

Think of RH as a sort of Rush Limbaugh for Pentaxland. Useful?...sometimes. Obnoxious?...often. Poorly informed?...depends on who you ask. Expert opinion?...again, it depends on who you ask. Is RH Right?...sure, just ask him!

Steve

11-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Credentials are typically a pre-requisite to having a legitimate opinion on a subject. This is why Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer to the masses rather than an advisor to John McCain. There is a strong appetite for hate these days and people like Rush feed that appetite. If you want a serious analysis on foreign policy or economics you don't go to Rush, you go to Colin Powel and Alan Greenspan.

When it comes to Camera gear, however, credentials can often become unessesary because opion is irrelevant. The manufacturer provides the specs which are available for me to review - and anyone who owns the photographic equipment can take pictures and post them to boards like these for me to review. Quite frankly whether the person who took the photo likes or hates the equipment is irrelevant because the results speak for themselves.

To all those on this board who conduct test of equipment and post your results I would like to thank you for your efforts because I occasionally find your results to be quite useful. For those who carry strong opinions without providing supporting evidence (images) I hope you are not offended by the fact that I typically do not to read what you have written.

This will be both my first and last time I contribute to a thread relating to RH
11-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #33
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
If you want a serious analysis on foreign policy or economics you don't go to Rush, you go to Colin Powel and Alan Greenspan.
It has become apparent recently that Alan Greenspan is NOT the person one would go to for a serious analysis of economics.
11-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It has become apparent recently that Alan Greenspan is NOT the person one would go to for a serious analysis of economics.
Now that I think about it, nor Colin Powell. He was one of the guys advising Bush that Hussein had to be held accountable.

Edit: But that another thread.

11-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I like his rants, he loves Pentax glass but hates the lack of competition from their bodies vs the rest of the industry. Lately he seems more less of a rant maniac because the current crop of bodies have had seen improvements vs the competition.
He's still not pleased but you never know who reads his blogs and rants along with ours.

It's these rants that help change manufacturers philosophy towards product development but i can't really discuss against or for with most of you guys because i'm not a true Pentaxian like RH with 20+ years with them who knows the equipment much better then me and some other Pentax noobs, i don't really see any old-timers in here having heated discussions with him other than some minor corrections to current bodies as they have found out themselves vs their own older equipment.

RH loves Pentax glass but hates their lack luster featured bodies vs the competition.

I apologize if i'm missing something but the guy is ranting for change from Pentax, i really see nothing wrong with that?
Lacklustre? Really? How so? Sure other bodies are better in some ways...and worse in others. Do you think Pentax are unaware of that? They test all of them side by side in the lab after all.

Plus there is plenty of honest feedback from people who are otherwise realistic about the pros and cons of a typical brand or model. Pentax know who these folks are and take their opinions on board. They include people like Ben K, and Phil Askey.

They dont listen to RH though. He has been ranting for more than five years now. Even has a blog just for ranting purposes. And you think there is nothing wrong with that? A significant personal investment in time I think....unless of course he's being paid....or he has a certain psychological disorder....or both.

He even owns a Canon, so does it not strike you as odd that he cares about Pentax any more? As an ex Nikon user I sure as hell dont spend my life on Nikon forums moaning about their little issues and believe me they have a few.

Ricehigh's approach is exactly that used in all negative publicity/propaganda campaigns....repeated statements of qualification (well I have used Pentax for years and I have all these lenses blah blah) followed by occasional faint praise (so we all think he can be reasonable) and then a convoluted mixture of half true and fully baseless unsubstantiated criticism with a patina of pseudo science to sows seeds of doubt in the minds of potential voters/buyers.

Of course everyone who disagrees is a fanboy/liberal/redneck.....

The internet is so full of these people, they are now an integral part of the viral marketing we are all endlessly subjected to. Negative campaigns are so much cheaper. Look at the recent US election (and just about every other one) and some of the negative blogs about Obama and Palin. Totally out of proportion and bordering on libelous. However its so much easier that a positive campaign.

The same marketing gurus advise both politicians and manufacturers so perhaps its not suprising. However the saddest part is that some people are so twisted they even do it for free.

If you think thats OK then fine.
11-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #36
Pentaxian

-- The doctor is IN --

It appears RH has had a bad experience with Pentax service. This made him mad at the company and he now dedicates himself to paying Pentax back for not living up to his expectations.

He was (still is?) also frustrated that he could not seem to find a body that matched his appreciation of the large investment of nice Pentax glass he has.

RH makes a number of important points regarding Pentax products and certainly cannot be called clueless. However, due to his overly negative attitude, casting a negative view on almost everything, his valid remarks just drown in a sea of one-sided rants. If he created more balanced, i.e. appropriate, accounts then his critical remarks would have more impact.

-- The doctor is OUT --
11-06-2008, 08:41 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I Ask Exactly the Same Two Questions Then.

How about for those people who have always been stationing at every Pentax forums, also for years, actually no different from a very good loyal watchdog, bark and bite crazily everytime, whenever anyone talks about *anything* they found "negative" and unfavourable to "their" brand?

I would ask the same two questions to those particular "brand watchdogs" who have actually been asking me for years the following two questions (or being accuse me of those, repeatedly and similarly):

1. Do they have some kinds of psychiatric problems or mental illness and need some treatment or help?

2. Are they actually paid by the camera company? (which is just Pentax in this case)
(For others who just with some objective reasoning: Just think who *actually* paid who!)

1+2: Why do they need to waste so much time in their life for doing so?

Any answer is highly welcome! LOL!!

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Lacklustre? Really? How so? Sure other bodies are better in some ways...and worse in others. Do you think Pentax are unaware of that? They test all of them side by side in the lab after all.

Plus there is plenty of honest feedback from people who are otherwise realistic about the pros and cons of a typical brand or model. Pentax know who these folks are and take their opinions on board. They include people like Ben K, and Phil Askey.

They dont listen to RH though. He has been ranting for more than five years now. Even has a blog just for ranting purposes. And you think there is nothing wrong with that? A significant personal investment in time I think....unless of course he's being paid....or he has a certain psychological disorder....or both.

He even owns a Canon, so does it not strike you as odd that he cares about Pentax any more? As an ex Nikon user I sure as hell dont spend my life on Nikon forums moaning about their little issues and believe me they have a few.

Ricehigh's approach is exactly that used in all negative publicity/propaganda campaigns....repeated statements of qualification (well I have used Pentax for years and I have all these lenses blah blah) followed by occasional faint praise (so we all think he can be reasonable) and then a convoluted mixture of half true and fully baseless unsubstantiated criticism with a patina of pseudo science to sows seeds of doubt in the minds of potential voters/buyers.

Of course everyone who disagrees is a fanboy/liberal/redneck.....

The internet is so full of these people, they are now an integral part of the viral marketing we are all endlessly subjected to. Negative campaigns are so much cheaper. Look at the recent US election (and just about every other one) and some of the negative blogs about Obama and Palin. Totally out of proportion and bordering on libelous. However its so much easier that a positive campaign.

The same marketing gurus advise both politicians and manufacturers so perhaps its not suprising. However the saddest part is that some people are so twisted they even do it for free.

If you think thats OK then fine.

Last edited by RiceHigh; 11-06-2008 at 08:47 AM.
11-06-2008, 09:02 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Truth

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have to agree with Blue. Based on some of the statements he has made, I have come to believe that RH is probably not old enough to have 20+ years of experience. His expertise seems limited to the digital era and is not particularly deep even in that realm. In all fairness, however; one has to admit that RH expends a ton of energy on research on the current state of the technology and industry movement. Whether you agree with his analysis and conclusions is another matter.

Steve
I bought my first Pentax AFSLR, the SFX, in June 1988. So it has been more than 20 years now. I told my story and investment with Pentax almost 3 years ago publicly, here:

A Letter to the CEO of Pentax Corporation

So, my statements made are always here on the net. No matter how you found old and new things that I told and tell, they will be the same as I always tell the truth!

11-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
How about for those people who have always been stationing at every Pentax forums, also for years, actually no different from a very good loyal watchdog, bark and bite crazily everytime, whenever anyone talks about *anything* they found "negative" and unfavourable to "their" brand?
I tried to think of someone who fits that description but honestly could not.

What I've seen are "I'm fed up with this negative bashing"-reactions, but I think that's quite normal and far from being "brand watchdog" behaviour.

Every camera model has its pros and cons. Even Nikons have tilted viewfinders and sometimes a Pentax AF can work better than a Canon AF (as a respectable user reported in this forum). Pentax cameras are not perfect but for some they are the best choice among all cameras available. It is just irritating to hear time and again from someone what a piece of inferior technology one is supposed to own when one is really happy with the product and wants to do more fruitful things than dwell on imperfections.

I wonder why you are not happily shooting away with your Canon 5D and think of your Pentax past as something delightful because it is behind you?

You must know what makes you happy yourself, but I regret that you cannot think of more constructive things to pursue and that some potential Pentax customers -- for whom Pentax would have been the best choice -- are detracted by your rants and end up with another camera. Pentax loses customers and basically -- whether it is your intention or not -- you are helping to reduce the manufacture landscape. This cannot be in anyone's interest.

It was good to see you mention positive things about the K-m. It'll be good to see more balanced views from you in the future.
11-06-2008, 01:15 PM   #40
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Obviously you havent been here long enough.

Wait till the next release of the K20d successor. If they dont change the AF module that is going to be something
11-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
If they dont change the AF module...
There will be a lot more people switching to Nikon. Haven't seen too many going to Canon. Nobody to Sony (lol). A couple to Olympus.
11-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

What I've seen are "I'm fed up with this negative bashing"-reactions, but I think that's quite normal and far from being "brand watchdog" behaviour.
He probably puts me in that category for my incessant "watchdogging" of his assumptions and erroneous conclusions.

Every camera model has its pros and cons. Even Nikons have tilted viewfinders and sometimes a Pentax AF can work better than a Canon AF (as a respectable user reported in this forum). Pentax cameras are not perfect but for some they are the best choice among all cameras available. It is just irritating to hear time and again from someone what a piece of inferior technology one is supposed to own when one is really happy with the product and wants to do more fruitful things than dwell on imperfections.

I wonder why you are not happily shooting away with your Canon 5D and think of your Pentax past as something delightful because it is behind you?

You must know what makes you happy yourself, but I regret that you cannot think of more constructive things to pursue and that some potential Pentax customers -- for whom Pentax would have been the best choice -- are detracted by your rants and end up with another camera. Pentax loses customers and basically -- whether it is your intention or not -- you are helping to reduce the manufacture landscape. This cannot be in anyone's interest.

It was good to see you mention positive things about the K-m. It'll be good to see more balanced views from you in the future.
Case in point from a comment I made at his blog(thanks for bringing up the Nikon thing)..
RH quote:
But it seems that there are numerous more reports about the tilted viewfinders of the Pentax K10D than other DSLR models, not even so for the K100D. In view of the relative (much) less number of units sold for the K10D than the Canons and Nikons, the problem would be really worrisome.

November 27, 2007 11:15 AM..
Jeff (me ) responds:I'm sorry, you have NO numbers or facts to base any of that statement on, just your "belief".
1) Yes Pentax sold far fewer than Nikon or Canon but you have ABSOLUTELY no way of quantifying the number of "tilted viewfinders"
AND to put a bit more perspective on it
Thom Hogan stated
" I've yet to see a Nikon viewfinder perfectly aligned (try it
> without gridlines using the bottom edge of the viewable area as the
> "guide"; same problem). On one of my cameras it was so frustrating
> that I finally just created a Photoshop Action and lived with the
> reduced image size ;~(. The thing that's curious to me is that
> EVERY Nikon DSLR I've used has the problem in the same direction.
> You'd think if it were really an alignment problem that some
> viewfinders would slant left and some right. "
Re: D200 Grid Lines - Off? Not quite right?: Nikon D300 - D100 Forum: Digital Photography Review

So are ALL Nikon's mis-aligned?

Of course the response was.....SILENCE...........

AND if you follow the Thom thread, the next response is:
My F90x had this problem (with type-E VF), my F100 has it (with type-E VF), my Fuji S3 has it (with the integrated gridlines). With film I thought it would have something to do with the film mechanism but it seems it has not since these reports of D200 seems to verify that it continues with digital (also with other models than Fujifilms).

They should do something to fix it. Best would be if there was a user rotatable screw to fine tune the alignment...
--
Osku

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Pentax Admits The "Tilted Viewfinder" Problem, Finally.
Of course RH is always right (even after given facts to the contrary, like meters peak at 110 NOT 126) and anyone saying anything else is just a fanboy... even us "logical" fanboys.........

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-06-2008 at 04:08 PM.
11-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Nikon is the preferred path for many switching brands

I agree more pentaxians go to Nikon thesedays. I however added Eos this year via two 5D Full Frame dslrs and 4 canon made lenses, 2 fully functioning teleconverters and two fully functioning extention tubes.

For me the clincher for canon brand is I can use my 300mm 2.8 AiS Nikkor and 8mm f 2.8 Olympus OM System lenses among other lenses easily adapted to eos mount.

That said, the nikon D700 and 14-24mm 2.8 Nikkor is very appealing and I can understand the lure of it to die hard pentaxians. Plus screw drive af makes nikon more like pentax' cousin.

I was going to continue with Pentax as a second system but lately due to budget and streamlining my kit I'll offer up my pentax system very soon: By the piece.

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
There will be a lot more people switching to Nikon. Haven't seen too many going to Canon. Nobody to Sony (lol). A couple to Olympus.
11-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I bought my first Pentax AFSLR, the SFX, in June 1988. So it has been more than 20 years now. I told my story and investment with Pentax almost 3 years ago publicly, here:
RiceHigh, why should any of us give a sh*t what camera you bought in 1988?
11-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
RiceHigh, why should any of us give a sh*t what camera you bought in 1988?
He was just refuting my assertion that he had less than 20 years serious photography experience. I resisted the urge to write back that I bought my first serious camera (a Yashica Lynx 1000 rangefinder) in 1968. I think that is 20x2...

Steve