Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2020, 11:54 AM - 5 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
Hope is 4k 60p h265 10bit, If not, Im leaving Pentax behind.
I'm afraid you might as well get a head start... I'm not sure Pentax are going to start putting effort in something they haven't really considered a core feature in ages. A Fuji X-T3 can be had used for under a thousand euros in Germany.

05-05-2020, 12:42 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I'm afraid you might as well get a head start... I'm not sure Pentax are going to start putting effort in something they haven't really considered a core feature in ages. A Fuji X-T3 can be had used for under a thousand euros in Germany.
Exactly. I'd think there's almost no chance Pentax would be trying to compete in the "video" market. They are too far behind and there are too many reasonably priced options already.
05-05-2020, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Yet another K-3 II thread? How many do we need?
05-05-2020, 01:16 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Yet another K-3 II thread? How many do we need?
It feels like we've been reading K3 II threads for YEARS

Sorry, couldn't help it...

But September does sound like a reasonable guess applied to the tiniest nugget of informed opinion...

-Eric

05-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
My K-3 is considered "Vintage" in the Vintage Digital Camera Collectors Facebook group. (The K-3 II would be too)
05-05-2020, 07:36 PM - 12 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
Hope is 4k 60p h265 10bit, If not, Im leaving Pentax behind.
Well, if you rely more on video than still photography out of your Digital DSLR, then I can only refer you to the old adage: "I'd rather eat in a bar than drink in a restaurant".

Good luck in the land of cheaply mass-produced NikOnyCan oligarchy jack of all trade bodies. For many of us here though, the camera and the still photo is the art of the deal.
05-05-2020, 08:42 PM - 2 Likes   #22
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Sony Semiconductors has 2 "off the shelf", readily available APS-C sensors:
IMX571, a 26MP BSI sensor
IMX271, a 24MP non-BSI sensor.
Products?Image Sensor?Consumer Camera?products?Sony Semiconductor Solutions Group

LE Mistral was faster...
I realize you weren't actually making a prediction that these sensors would appear in the new Pentax, so this is not to contradict you but to add my opinion about this. I believed the sensor will be neither of these, and probably a new model.

IMX571 is unlikely to be used in my opinion. Although it is on paper a more advanced model than the 24mp model in the KP, it's improvements are in areas that Pentax does not tend to prioritise. For instance, I understand that over 1 million of those pixels are dedicated to on-sensor PDAF, which does not seem that important for a camera that still has a dedicated AF sensor. Another thing is that the sensor has been used on some distinctly mid-range models, like the XT-30. Sony will probably have more advanced model out sooner or later.

IMX271 won't be used if what was said at CP+ 2019 holds true. The lead of the camera design team said it has a new sensor, a new resolution and a new processing engine, and this is on video on the Ricoh Imaging Youtube channel. That second point would seem to rule out the IMX271.

Thinking about other options, Nikon seems to be using a high-end 20mp model, but that doesn't seem likely for the Pentax. On Canon's side they have a 32mp model that is actually good, but my guess is that Sony is finally going push resolution above 30mp, and that is what will be in the new Pentax. It might be why we are still waiting too. In fact Sony themselves have been quiet on APS-C camera introductions lately and Fuji have not updated their flagship XT range yet either.

Last edited by JPT; 05-05-2020 at 09:11 PM.
05-05-2020, 09:07 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Fuji have not updated their flagship XT range yet either.
Fuji released the X-T4 (26MP BSI) in February, or am I misunderstanding you?
05-05-2020, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #24
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Fuji released the X-T4 (26MP BSI) in February, or am I misunderstanding you?
Sorry, it's my mistake and thanks for correcting me. I was getting confused with their naming. It was the X-H series I was thinking about. Apparently it is not getting an update until next year but the line is still active.

The 26mp sensor was first used in the X-T3, and it was accompanied by a $100 dollar price cut over the previous model - an unusual step. That's one of the things, along with it's use in the cheaper X-T30, that makes me think that the part is not that expensive and intended to be the low-end companion to some as-yet-unreleased high-end model.

Anyway, my main point was that the 24mp sensor seems to be ruled out by what they said last year, the 26mp does not seem to be a natural choice for a high-end DSLR, so there's a high chance in my mind that we will get an all-new sensor.

It's strange that APS-C has been stuck at the same resolution for about 10 years, while other formats have kept increasing. But now that Canon has made a move, I think Sony will come out with something better.
05-06-2020, 03:29 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

the 26mp does not seem to be a natural choice for a high-end DSLR, so there's a high chance in my mind that we will get an all-new sensor.
The brandnew 1,800 EUR Fuji X-T4 uses it. Some tabloids call it a "powerful video rig".

Unless you want the K-3 sucessor to cost around 2,500+ EUR to differentiate itself als "high end" compared to the Fuji, I see zero reason why Pentax wouldnt use the same sensor.
05-06-2020, 03:43 AM - 5 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's strange that APS-C has been stuck at the same resolution for about 10 years, while other formats have kept increasing. But now that Canon has made a move, I think Sony will come out with something better.
I mean, more or less yes (the 24 MP APS-C cameras started coming out in... 2013?), but the first full frame with that pixel density is the A7R4; even the D850 with its 45 MP sensor had the pixel pitch of a 20 MP APS-C sensor. It gets harder to keep noise low and dynamic range high, and 24 MP is plenty for most uses (regardless of format), so I can see why there is no real incentive to increase resolution when you can focus on improving sensors to have higher frame rates/better buffer/more battery life/you name it.
05-06-2020, 07:24 PM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I really would rather stay with Pentax, but if I was ready to buy a new body right now it would probably be the Fuji. I've been getting more and more interested in video and my has been doing some low budget shoots that something like the Fuji would be good for. I really hope Pentax finally decides to improve the video in the new camera.
05-06-2020, 09:46 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trick Fall Quote
I really would rather stay with Pentax, but if I was ready to buy a new body right now it would probably be the Fuji.
I think you should wait and see what the K-new has to offer. If the sensor is able of delivering 4K then Ricoh would be wise to deliver a camera with such capabilities. They have 4K on other products.
05-06-2020, 11:34 PM - 3 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote

Sorry, couldn't help it...

But September does sound like a reasonable guess applied to the tiniest nugget of informed opinion...

-Eric
Considering the amount of K-mount lenses lying around, all I need is a new Pentax K-mount DSLR every now and then. June, September or December? No problem. I don't plan to jump ship.

K-7 (2009) -> K-3 (2014) -> K-1 (2016) -> K-? (2020)

Last edited by zzeitg; 05-06-2020 at 11:40 PM.
05-07-2020, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Jumping ship is out of the question for me as long as Pentax supports the K-Mount be it DSLR or MILC. I hate MILC but when the time comes that I need to upgrade my cameras and that's the system available then I'm going for it. I hope the K-mount will still be alive by then.