Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2020, 01:15 PM - 8 Likes   #541
bxf
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
This has been discussed ad infinitum in other threads...
I would add ad nauseam.

09-16-2020, 02:11 PM - 3 Likes   #542
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sindbad1 Quote
fumbling with a smartphone.
the company has not understood the current market
I might add: Ricoh most certainly realizes that the younger generations (defining the current market) do not 'fumble with a smartphone'.
09-16-2020, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #543
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I might add: Ricoh most certainly realizes that the younger generations (defining the current market) do not 'fumble with a smartphone'.
That's just a rhetorical answer. If it only contained a bit of sense, please explain why the other manufacturers are not returning to the fixed display on their system cameras.
09-16-2020, 02:28 PM   #544
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AFAIK Leica SL mirrorless cameras also have fixed screen.

09-16-2020, 02:36 PM - 4 Likes   #545
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

If it only contained a bit of sense, please explain why the other manufacturers are not returning to the fixed display of their system cameras.
First off, all the Pentax flagship aps-c dSLRs have always had a fixed screen - K-7, K-5, K-3
It may be seen as a design feature. For a compact option compared to the larger full-frame cameras.
So, it is not something they have provided in the past and are now taking away. Therefore, your 'why the other manufacturers are not returning to' argument doesn't make any sense. Pentax has never changed in the first place.

Second off, Pentax has not said it will never produce an articulating LCD camera again in the future - they said they are doing it for this one model.
You claim you toughed it out with Pentax since the film era - did you buy every body available or did you skip a couple models?
I very well imagine that Pentax will continue releasing flippy screen on future cameras. Hold your horses. Don't jump the gun.

Third off, Pentax holds a micro share of the photo industry. Clearly they are niche product centered around a pentaprism viewfinder.
If you wanted to chase market fads and trendiness, you'll have better luck with other brands. Mirrorless Mania.

Forth off, if you so desperately need a flippy screen, use your K-70! That's an outstanding camera!
or buy a K-1! or why not a 645z!

Last edited by FozzFoster; 09-16-2020 at 02:41 PM.
09-16-2020, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #546
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I'm seeing the articulating screen on the K-New as redundant, adds weight and size, and adds cost.
I believe Ricoh made a smart move, and plans to deeply integrate smartphone use with the K-New.
Exactly how they do with the highly successful Ricoh Theta series 360 cameras (no screen at all, you use your phone).

Tethering your phone takes like two taps. Boom. You got Live View.
Don't want to place your phone on the ground? Buy a simple phone/hotshoe adapter. Boom. Articulating screen.

I don't know about you, but I always have my phone with me.
Once you recognize that ANY camera will have to compete with the camera in a smartphone, you begin to appreciate that an external camera needs to have deep integration with the smartphone in order to remain competitive.
Therefore, a built-in articulating screen on the camera would be seen as redundant.

Brilliant!

And especially for a statement piece that the K-New is going to be. They are highly emphasizing viewfinder photography. They are not joining the mirrorless mainstream mania.
It would almost seem counter to their statement piece to highlight Live View shooting through a rear LCD...

It's unlikely Ricoh will never release a camera with an articulating screen in the future.. it's likely they are just emphasizing their statement as much as possible with this camera.
I wish those hot shoe adapters had been around when I was using my phone as a waist or low-level viewfinder with my K-3 (it would have been handy if the phone GPS could have been utilised with the camera, too). The WiFi transfer speed should be OK for most subjects shot using this method, so I guess those who abhor the smartphone will have to look elsewhere.
09-16-2020, 02:39 PM   #547
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
it would have been handy if the phone GPS could have been utilised with the camera, too
My Ricoh Theta Z1 has every photo geotagged via my smartphones GPS.
09-16-2020, 02:43 PM - 2 Likes   #548
PDL
Pentaxian

That's just a rhetorical answer. If it only contained a bit of sense, please explain why the other manufacturers are not returning to the fixed display on their system cameras.
Short list of top end cameras without a "flippy screen" and not necessarily all mirrorless.
Phase One F-X (DSLR
Hasselblad X systems (mirrorless)
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II (DSLR)
Nikon D6 (DSLR)
Leica M10 Monochrome (rangefinder) Leica makes a ragefinder without a LCD screen.
Leica R series (DSLR)

Do I really need to go on?

If a flippy screen or mirrorless is your "gotta have" then Pentax is not what you are looking for. Deal with it.

I came into the Pentax world because my Fujica film cameras (four bodies and a set of lenses) were stolen and the insurance company let me have enough money to buy 1 replacement camera. The shop I went to only and a Pentax SF-1 with a Tokina 28-70mm. I went digital in 2005 and I have bought 4 bodies. I went with the K-3II in 2016 because Pentax had not come out with a replacement and I wanted GPS for my vacations.

Now, if not for having lenses and bodies from Pentax I would most likely be shooting Fuji - for sentimental reasons. But, I would not have GPS which for me is a "gotta have". Geotagging images by hand is a pain. Very few manufactures make cameras with GPS, so I will stick with Pentax/Ricoh until the K-3II dies. To each our own

Last edited by PDL; 09-16-2020 at 02:56 PM.
09-16-2020, 03:03 PM - 7 Likes   #549
Loyal Site Supporter

I think "flippy screens" have had all the discussion they need for now. If there's nothing new left to say, and with the thread becoming a bit testy, it may be close (REALLY close), to having outlived it's value.

Get your comments in folks, something other than articulating screens as it's 100% certain the K-new won't have one no matter how loudly you protest.

Last edited by gatorguy; 09-16-2020 at 04:08 PM.
09-16-2020, 03:31 PM   #550
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the 6 yeras I took photos with many cameras from other brands because, as a journalist, I write articles for German photo magazinesand therefore get a lot of new devices from Sony, Panasonic, Nikon and Canon for tests and some projects.

Therefore I know the advantages and disadvantages of different camera systems very well. It became increasingly clear that others were pulling away in terms of autofocus and optics.

I hoped Ricoh could catch up with a powerful, well-equipped camera. A camera without a swiveling display does not meet current requirements.
In their experience as a journalist, I would think that the poster has developed a detailed and credible first-hand understanding of various cameras and lenses. However, may I propose that "hope" is not a strong basis for estimating a company's strategy nor for assessing a camera system still in development. For the new Pentax camera, precise market timelines are generally unknown; most of the features and performance have not been revealed; the retail price is a guess; and there has been a lot of speculation, as well as some interesting technical reverse-engineering.

I would say, we'll be able to assess the value of the camera when it's announced and we know its details.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 09-16-2020 at 04:51 PM.
09-16-2020, 03:32 PM   #551

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I think "flippy screens" have had all the discussion they need for now. If there's nothing new left to say, and with the thread becoming a bit testy, if may be close (REALLY close), to having outlived it's value.

Get your comments in folks, something other than articulating screens as it's 100% certain the K-new won't have one no matter how loudly you protest.
I agree with you. Everybody is talking about the tilting (flippy or whatsoever) screen and don't know the characteristics and the capability of the camera.

Give the chance to Pentax before judging.

As a moderator I would close the thread lol.
09-16-2020, 03:38 PM - 5 Likes   #552
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

if the Pentax brand still does not bring out a mirrorless camera and in addition to that does without a swiveling display on a new high-end camera, the company has not understood the current market and will lose customers. Too bad.
Did you hire someone to do this marketing research? We'd love to have a link to their data.
09-16-2020, 03:59 PM   #553
Pentaxian

Soon this tread is going the same way as the others who focus comment on the flippy screen
09-16-2020, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #554
Pentaxian

How could Ricoh make such a stupid decision?
It was the marketing guys influence!
09-16-2020, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #555
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Heh, I only want one because the K1 spoiled me with one for astrophotography.

I could live without one if the brightness of live view is like it is on the later Pentax cameras though. It would be freakin' awesome if they did a nice ROI setup for video so I could use say an 800x600 area from the middle of the sensor for video. It would also be awesome if they offered a version that would pick up Ha light (basically factory astro mod) because I'd go ahead and buy it right off.