Pentaxian

I'd do it for the sake of one K-2 for free

09-23-2020, 11:24 PM - 3 Likes   #737
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It was not and still isn't -as of today.
That's right. We just have to realise, it's not like whipping up a batch of lemonade to sell at a stall on Saturday because the sun will conveniently be out. Timing for Christmas, or Black Friday, or a particular photography show is all well and good, but there are constraints even if there weren't a global pandemic.

If we're to believe Tanaka, he said last month merely that development was 'going well'. We know from the two Ricoh videos that there are new components/engines for many things inside that will need finishing and testing, this isn't a K-1 to K-1 MkII release, basically a lick of fresh paint.

There can be technical delays that we never learn about, although I thought it pretty good that Ricoh did reveal the superb DFA*50 was postponed until the production line could build it with the tolerances of the prototypes, and that the excellent DFA*85 was redone with a concave front element when flaws were found in studies of other manufacturers' 85mm designs, and there was a chance to do better than them.

There's also the basic finance thing. This will require millions of yen that Ricoh Imaging doesn't have under the couch and will have to be recouped in years to come, the parent Ricoh would need to get funding from the board, who may have needed to go to the Fuyo Bank they'd normally get their loans from. Plans have to get green lights from superiors, who reserve the right to question and re-evaluate at every stage, and there will be varying opinions.

In that sense, the two videos we saw are possibly an attempt at insurance against a sudden change in heart by the Board. This would help explain why they were so short on details potential buyers need - their purpose may also have been to make it no longer possible to quietly cancel the project.

Last edited by clackers; 09-23-2020 at 11:34 PM.
09-23-2020, 11:39 PM   #738
Veteran Member

No. The project has clearly failed in picking a name.
09-24-2020, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #739
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(...)

In that sense, the two videos we saw are possibly an attempt at insurance against a sudden change in heart by the Board. This would help explain why they were so short on details potential buyers need - their purpose may also have been to make it no longer possible to quietly cancel the project.

09-24-2020, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #740
Pentaxian

No. The Ricoh group is still investing in Ricoh Imaging.

New internet site + other facts in a few days.
09-24-2020, 01:49 AM - 4 Likes   #741
Pentaxian

No. Ricoh's commitment is firm. This is why Mr. Yamashita addressed the Pentaxians at the 100 years anniversary, this is why Mr. Takahashi addressed the Pentaxians in the K-new presentation video.

These videos are an attempt to quench doubt in the hearts of Pentaxians - so easily influenced by the ever present bashers and detractors.

Last edited by Kunzite; 09-24-2020 at 03:06 AM.
09-24-2020, 08:20 AM - 4 Likes   #742
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
Well I really want to know about the shooter on the grassy knoll.....

Back in the day of a grey market and Home market, many products were introduced at Photokina, but stocks took until PMA to be available for retail. Logic would dictate that with technology rapidly changing, stock in warehouses is fantasy
Your logic is faulty, as it ignores shipping and supply chain requirements. If you were talking about downloadable software, you would be close to correct, for consumer hard goods, not so much.
If a consumer hard product is going to be for sale in any sort of volume, the manufacturer will have it warehoused at some point, although they want that time to be as short as possible. A manufacturer has to have sufficient stock on hand to move into the supply chain in sufficient quantities to supply whatever demand there will be for the product. Consumer products don't come off the assembly line and get shipped individually to distributors as packaging happens. A sufficient volume has to be built up to make shipping cost effective.
This isn't fantasy, this is how things happen.

---------- Post added Sep 24th, 2020 at 09:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I could see a slight delay if that meant a K-New/16-50 PLM kit was possible, but as it stands right now I doubt it. IMO the camera is in the last stages of development but not quite ready to go - probably getting the software refined? (That would also explain the lack of info on AF - they are still working on it even if the hardware specs are set).
Sure, if it was a delay of a few days to a few weeks, but if we are talking months, then they have dead stock sitting on shelves somewhere that is destroying their ROI.
Your take on it is sensible, and most likely correct.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 09-24-2020 at 08:53 AM.
09-24-2020, 08:39 AM - 6 Likes   #743
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's right. We just have to realise, it's not like whipping up a batch of lemonade to sell at a stall on Saturday because the sun will conveniently be out. Timing for Christmas, or Black Friday, or a particular photography show is all well and good, but there are constraints even if there weren't a global pandemic.

If we're to believe Tanaka, he said last month merely that development was 'going well'. We know from the two Ricoh videos that there are new components/engines for many things inside that will need finishing and testing, this isn't a K-1 to K-1 MkII release, basically a lick of fresh paint.

There can be technical delays that we never learn about, although I thought it pretty good that Ricoh did reveal the superb DFA*50 was postponed until the production line could build it with the tolerances of the prototypes, and that the excellent DFA*85 was redone with a concave front element when flaws were found in studies of other manufacturers' 85mm designs, and there was a chance to do better than them.

There's also the basic finance thing. This will require millions of yen that Ricoh Imaging doesn't have under the couch and will have to be recouped in years to come, the parent Ricoh would need to get funding from the board, who may have needed to go to the Fuyo Bank they'd normally get their loans from. Plans have to get green lights from superiors, who reserve the right to question and re-evaluate at every stage, and there will be varying opinions.

I think many forum members are "Over Thinking" all of this, parsing every little nuance and assigning a meaning when all we know is very little about any of this. The camera will be announced when Ricoh/Pentax is ready. Hopefully soon but who knows. Certainly none of the members (save a couple) actually know what they are talking about, I certainly don't.
09-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #744
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another story about the Knew's design from Pentax Rumors. I don't know if this was already posted in another thread.

https://pentaxrumors-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/pentaxrumors.com/2020/09/25/...dslr-camera%2F

Last edited by totsmuyco; 09-27-2020 at 03:36 PM.
09-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #745
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
You must be kidding and forgot to put in a smiley face.
We need something to talk about while we wait.
09-27-2020, 05:53 PM - 4 Likes   #746
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
Definitely. We've only seen the camera with the black tape on the front... some people think it's covering up the name...

What if they don't know the name... and there are warehouses of new, nameless Pentaxes waiting for someone to paint a name on the front...

-Eric
09-28-2020, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #747
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I think many forum members are "Over Thinking" all of this, parsing every little nuance and assigning a meaning when all we know is very little about any of this.
Ricoh is certainly not helping by being just a little secretive shy. And they seem to be over-thinking things themselves.

QuoteQuote:
After increasing or decreasing the overall size of the grip (in units of one-hundredth of a millimeter!), we input the dimensions into a computer to obtain three-dimensional data for evaluation. After repeating this process many times, we come to the grip design that provides the best possible camera hold and maneuverability.
Product Stories of New APS-C Vol.4?Wakashiro? | PENTAX official

I have owned and used many cameras over the years. I have large hands but never have I ever given a camera's grip shape and size any thought. Much ado about nothing? Probably not, I have seen many posts about the matter so it matters to some people.
09-28-2020, 03:33 AM   #748
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
. . . What if they don't know the name... and there are warehouses of new, nameless Pentaxes waiting for someone to paint a name on the front...
-Eric
and then the boxes need to have the name put on them too
09-28-2020, 04:37 AM - 3 Likes   #749
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Definitely. We've only seen the camera with the black tape on the front... some people think it's covering up the name...

What if they don't know the name... and there are warehouses of new, nameless Pentaxes waiting for someone to paint a name on the front...

-Eric
Why not just call the new model "camera".
So everyone walking in a photo store asking for a "camera" gets the right thing.

I always loved how Ms. Esmeralda Weatherwax had a cat called "You". Makes things so much simpler. "You! come here!"
09-28-2020, 04:43 AM   #750
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Why not just call the new model "camera".
So everyone walking in a photo store asking for a "camera" gets the right thing.

I always loved how Ms. Esmeralda Weatherwax had a cat called "You". Makes things so much simpler. "You! come here!"
I particularly like her view of world being white&black: the gray's just white with varying levels of grub. Simplifies things a lot.

---------- Post added 09-28-20 at 04:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I have owned and used many cameras over the years. I have large hands but never have I ever given a camera's grip shape and size any thought. Much ado about nothing? Probably not, I have seen many posts about the matter so it matters to some people.
For me it's important, with the K-7 my only "but" to the otherwise excellent ergonomics is that my pinky was flying around a bit, the K-1 is the perfect size.