Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2020, 04:32 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Considering the amount of K-mount lenses lying around, all I need is a new Pentax K-mount DSLR every now and then. June, September or December? No problem. I don't plan to jump ship.

K-7 (2009) -> K-3 (2014) -> K-1 (2016) -> K-? (2020)
I got the K-1 in October after a bit more than a year on the K-7... super comfortable camera and I wouldn't have considered upgrading if it weren't because of the poor high ISO performance. Right now I have a camera that does everything I need it to do, has IQ to spare and gets completely out of the way - a friend or two have commented on just how fast I can get the settings adjusted in changing light without missing a beat or taking the eye out of the OVF: seriously, the customizable e-dial and TAv mode should be industry standard... but I'm happy to keep them as Pentaxian secret weapons
Even the AF "limitations" are trivial to work with for my photography - but I'm sure our wildlife/action-oriented friends will appreciate the K-new having a better system.

05-07-2020, 06:10 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which products besides the Fuji's use the IMX571 and what was the first product to use it?
05-07-2020, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
My K-3 is considered "Vintage" in the Vintage Digital Camera Collectors Facebook group. (The K-3 II would be too)
And it still takes damn fine images!!
05-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Considering the amount of K-mount lenses lying around, all I need is a new Pentax K-mount DSLR every now and then. June, September or December? No problem. I don't plan to jump ship.

K-7 (2009) -> K-3 (2014) -> K-1 (2016) -> K-2 (2020)
Patent Pending

05-08-2020, 06:15 AM - 3 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I got the K-1 in October after a bit more than a year on the K-7... super comfortable camera and I wouldn't have considered upgrading if it weren't because of the poor high ISO performance. Right now I have a camera that does everything I need it to do, has IQ to spare and gets completely out of the way - a friend or two have commented on just how fast I can get the settings adjusted in changing light without missing a beat or taking the eye out of the OVF: seriously, the customizable e-dial and TAv mode should be industry standard... but I'm happy to keep them as Pentaxian secret weapons
Even the AF "limitations" are trivial to work with for my photography - but I'm sure our wildlife/action-oriented friends will appreciate the K-new having a better system.
Damn! I just realised how much I want a K1

EBAY!!!

OK, I looked at the prices and I am over my gas. Now, KP or K3, which one to use? Decisions decisions

Last edited by Cerebum; 05-08-2020 at 06:23 AM.
05-08-2020, 06:35 AM - 3 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote

EBAY!!!

OK, I looked at the prices and I am over my gas. Now, KP or K3, which one to use? Decisions decisions
K-P if battery life isn't an issue.

It has so many advantages... Tilting back screen, pixel shift, accelerator chip (pretty much the same high ISO performance as the K-1).

I basically bought my K-1 for the stuff my K-3 didn't have. And the stuff my K-3 doesn't have means it gets left home unless I need the bigger K-3 buffer and frame rate.

But for image quality...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/389019-full-fra...you-judge.html

I keep telling myself if the K-3 dies I'll get a K-P, but it shows no signs of dying after all these years. And it's starting to look like the K-new might be out before that happens, leading to another crisis.

Last edited by normhead; 05-08-2020 at 06:44 AM.
05-08-2020, 06:42 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And even if it is, the flipside to the D-Li109 being so light and having low capacity is that it's not even a hassle to carry one or two extra I'd say.
Absolutely agree on the other points; I would personally always go for KP over K-3 unless my main lenses were long and heavy (because of the deeper grip). I guess the frame rate and buffer would be points for the K-3 but if @cerebum was already considering the K-1, then the KP won't be a problem there

05-08-2020, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

It has so many advantages... Tilting back screen, pixel shift, accelerator chip (pretty much the same high ISO performance as the K-1).

I basically bought my K-1 for the stuff my K-3 didn't have. And the stuff my K-3 doesn't have means it gets left home unless I need the bigger K-3 buffer and frame rate.

But for image quality...

Full frame or APS-c, you be the judge. - PentaxForums.com

I keep telling myself if the K-3 dies I'll get a K-P, but it shows no signs of dying after all these years. And it's starting to look like the K-new might be out before that happens, leading to another crisis.
I have both and you are right on the money. My KP is my small lens camera and the K3 comes out for the heavy stuff. I love both but the IQ on the KP is off the scale not that the K3 is a slouch
05-08-2020, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #39
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I think you should wait and see what the K-new has to offer. If the sensor is able of delivering 4K then Ricoh would be wise to deliver a camera with such capabilities. They have 4K on other products.

I'm most likely going to wait to see what they come out with as I'd rather just stay with Pentax. I'm also interested to see what the Canon R6 will be like and with the current situation I'm not inclined to drop cash I don't have to anyway.
05-08-2020, 09:32 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote

EBAY!!!

Me too. And as of yet I can't afford a camera that I have so few lenses for so it's still the new APS-C flagship for me.

I did see a used K-1 selling for only $400. Of course it was in pieces. And had what looked like salt water corrosion on it... And is located in Japan...
05-10-2020, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I did see a used K-1 selling for only $400. Of course it was in pieces. And had what looked like salt water corrosion on it... And is located in Japan...
But apart from those little niggles did it seem like a bargain?
05-10-2020, 07:15 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
But apart from those little niggles did it seem like a bargain?
Well considering it was missing all the mount connections and possibly the mount screws and was getting corroded....
05-10-2020, 08:46 AM - 5 Likes   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K-1 and a KP. I don’t need a new camera, so K-new or D FA*85/1.4?

Here’s my guess: I’ll buy the lens, with a vague idea that I can get the K-new at some future point. Then when it is released it will have some irresistible new feature and that vague idea will become Oooooh! Shiney!! Me Want !!!

Happens every time
05-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I do sympathize ...
05-10-2020, 09:29 AM - 5 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Well, if you rely more on video than still photography out of your Digital DSLR, then I can only refer you to the old adage: "I'd rather eat in a bar than drink in a restaurant".

Good luck in the land of cheaply mass-produced NikOnyCan oligarchy jack of all trade bodies. For many of us here though, the camera and the still photo is the art of the deal.
Exactly. So sick and tired of video people complaining how a camera meant for stills doesn't meet their video needs. Besides the fact that DSLRs have no REAL pro features in them for video.
No one has yet told me ONE dslr model that allows you to externally clock the camera with the proper synchronization. Buy proper video cameras if you're that serious about videography.