Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1230 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Don't forget Gerry Winterbourne also at Ephotozine or Mike Tomkins at Imaging-Resource

Hmm, have I become at last a fully paid up Pentaxian?, nah, I might have passed probation Patience Padawan
I have long relied on Imaging Resources, especially for stats that show the superiority of some aspects of Pentax, AF, which just happen to be the ones I use most. But I love the ephotozine -optical limits type MTF charts, I've never figured out what the others even mean. The ephotozine charts are the cheap and dirty.

The Imaging Resources guys actually publish the test chart, so you can see for yourself if they've been at all unfair in their evaluation, and there have been times where their interpretation has been a bit different from what I would have given it. IMHO, no site that doesn't show their test images should be completely trusted. But for a passing glance cheap and dirty evaluation, ephotozine is good.

Last edited by normhead; 06-10-2020 at 09:55 AM.
06-10-2020, 09:49 AM   #242
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Speak for yourself ! I hooked up my cousin with my old K-7 (One of us! One of us!) and whenever anyone asks about my K-1 (it's happened) I strongly recommend it. I mentioned somewhere that at a wedding I gave the 7 photographers present the entire sales pitch, although it was mostly cross tilt LCD plus hyper manual mode. They were impressed, unsurprisingly
Sure, there's the occasional black sheep that would recommend Pentax instead of driving people away.
06-10-2020, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Sure, there's the occasional black sheep that would recommend Pentax instead of driving people away.
I recommend Pentax every chance I get. Converted a bunch of people over/brought new people in. Just to clarify, I'm not against Pentax at all.
06-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #244
Pentaxian

There's probably more of us than you realize. Some of us just don't post a lot.

My Pentax gear has generated more discussion, and handling of my gear by others, than any other brand I have owned.

I have no issues with recommending Pentax if it fits the other person's usage. (e.g. not going to recommend a K-1 to someone who runs & guns and uses a deep & fast-clearing buffer, but will suggest the K-1 for landscape shooters and the like.)

Biggest issue with people making a move to Pentax is the cost of changing systems. Unless you can catch a shooter with minimal gear, or a new shooter, or someone with plenty of gear to sell and fund the move, or a pro... Joe average has a difficult time absorbing the cost of an expensive system change.

As for the K-new - I'm looking forward to the release. Whether or not the camera is for me will be determined once released, and I get to see specs and reviews from users.

Last edited by Pentikonian; 06-10-2020 at 11:57 AM. Reason: clarify
06-10-2020, 12:00 PM - 5 Likes   #245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No way. You could say, most threads and posts are neutral - but positive, no chance.
Actually I'd be surprised if there are more positive than negative posts, at least in the News and Rumors section.The problem with counting them though is that we'd start arguing about classification... say, this thread, the first page: one positive post (#2), one negative (#15), the others I'd classify as neutral.

This isn't about not saying bad things about Pentax, nor about being happy with your pictures (even thought that's most important for a photographer). Is about creating hype and excitement about Pentax. And we completely lack that.
What do we have instead? People diverting attention to various real (but not relevant in that context) and imaginary issues. Like when Ricoh Imaging confirms the camera for this year, that's bad because they didn't fix the NA marketing
I don't mean to offend, but I think this says more about you than Pentax Forums. I think that millions of posts about Pentax cameras is a huge positive, it not a neutral zero. Focusing on and reacting to a relatively small handful of posts that you disagree with is doing what you lament - diverting the discussion from all the great stuff we do with Pentax cameras to petty slap-fights.

If you want to turn Pentax Forums into a cheerleading hype-fest for Pentax, go for it. But I don't think that's why were here. It's not why I'm here. I'm not a Pentax marketer, I'm a consumer.
06-10-2020, 12:50 PM   #246
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I don't mean to offend, but I think this says more about you than Pentax Forums. I think that millions of posts about Pentax cameras is a huge positive, it not a neutral zero. Focusing on and reacting to a relatively small handful of posts that you disagree with is doing what you lament - diverting the discussion from all the great stuff we do with Pentax cameras to petty slap-fights.

If you want to turn Pentax Forums into a cheerleading hype-fest for Pentax, go for it. But I don't think that's why were here. It's not why I'm here. I'm not a Pentax marketer, I'm a consumer.
That's your opinion, but you folks are missing my point by a mile.
Creating hype and excitement about Pentax, I said. I'm seeing more hype about other brands than Pentax, and about other types of cameras than DSLRs - even on Pentaxforums...

By the way, I sort of dislike hype. It's effective but a deviation from the truth. A bit of excitement would be great though; particularly since we have good reasons.
06-10-2020, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #247
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
RIght now, I'm guessing Sony, Nikon and Canon are wishing they didn't finance dealer stock.

As for the hype, there's lots of hype around the coming 21 td. around my house. DPR and many other sites are directly responsible to killing any Pentax hype you might get going. John Riley over at Ephotozone has become the guy for information about Pentax product.

That's especially necessary since Optical limits has pretty much left Pentax behind.

It's nice to read someone who just tells you about the cameras and lenses without inserting idiotic opinions. Of course, no one is as good as the forum's own Bdery, but the anti-Pentax crowd don't see his work.
I bet you’re right.

IIRC Nikon was the largest Creditor of Ritz Camera when it was liquidated in 2012. I believe Nikon had Debtor-in-Possession status granted by the bankruptcy court. Nikon. Not some bank or distressed debt hedge fund.

06-10-2020, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #248
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I bet you’re right.

IIRC Nikon was the largest Creditor of Ritz Camera when it was liquidated in 2012. I believe Nikon had Debtor-in-Possession status granted by the bankruptcy court. Nikon. Not some bank or distressed debt hedge fund.
When Wolf Camera went under some years ago (to then be bought out by Ritz), I heard they owed Olympus an enormous sack of cash...likely for the same reason...

I heard (but never bothered to confirm) that between the time Wolf went bankrupt and Ritz stepped in, you couldn't get an Olympus camera there because Olympus was done with them...

-Eric
06-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #249
Pentaxian

Ya, if we all just listen to you everything would be perfect, we get it.
If you don't like slap fights, don't start them, That's the real proof in the pudding.
Oh and a post like that is definitely looking to start one.
06-10-2020, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #250
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't mean to offend,
Prefacing a post with "I don't mean to offend" is a clear indication that a person knows the post is going to be offensive to someone but is going to post anyway.
"I don't mean to offend" = "I don't care if I offend you"
(no offense intended)
06-10-2020, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #251
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Prefacing a post with "I don't mean to offend" is a clear indication that a person knows the post is going to be offensive to someone but is going to post anyway.
"I don't mean to offend" = "I don't care if I offend you"
(no offense intended)
If I had a dollar for every time someone said "no offence Norm," and then told a racist joke.... what they really mean is "brace yourself, you aren't going to like this."

And for grief sake, none of the black side of my family are wild about either watermelon or fried chicken, give it a rest. It's not funny.

They did seem to go for the Coup De VIlles however, but hey, I'm really dating myself.

Last edited by normhead; 06-10-2020 at 03:01 PM.
06-10-2020, 03:03 PM - 2 Likes   #252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since the date this thread was started, we are 37 or 38 days closer (depending on where in the world you live) to the launch of the new APS-C camera. That's gotta be a good thing.

- Craig
06-10-2020, 03:13 PM   #253
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Since the date this thread was started, we are 37 or 38 days closer (depending on where in the world you live) to the launch of the new APS-C camera. That's gotta be a good thing.

- Craig
So many unanswered questions, all I be able to afford it, will it be worth upgrading from my K-3 (which still has at least 60,000 exposures on it. Will there be something like Pixels Shift , or an accelerator chip that no one else thought of first?

It's getting down to crunch time.
06-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #254
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Don't forget Gary Wolstenholme at Ephotozine or Mike Tomkins at Imaging-Resource
Sadly, Mike Tomkins is no longer on staff at I-R; he was let go due to I-R's downsizing and subsequent sale. AFAIK he is currently a freelancer and has had at least one article published at DPR.
06-10-2020, 03:41 PM - 3 Likes   #255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Sadly, Mike Tomkins is no longer on staff at I-R; he was let go due to I-R's downsizing and subsequent sale. AFAIK he is currently a freelancer and has had at least one article published at DPR.
Very sad news. But wait, that means that there is at least 3 people over there that like Pentax stuff (Mike T, + the former editor of Amateur Photographer who happens to have said that the 43 is his favourite lens ever and that guy from the camera store) - Rishi@sanctimonious little ***** .com must be getting nervous.