Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #286
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
So! Let's say this camera ends up meeting and/or even exceeding all your expectations. Will you buy the body alone or will you also be getting some lenses and/or other stuff with it?

I'll be getting it with the updated DA* 16-50mm PLM & the new DA* 11-18mm lenses. I'm hoping that the rest of the DA* lenses will eventually receive updates as well 'cause I would definitely like to get more.
We’re all answering this with a different set of expectations, I imagine. We know some of the features of the new body, but presumably not all. Some of us may still be clinging to the hope that it has a movable rear screen (I’m not, but I wouldn’t be unhappy if the production model actually had one) or a hybrid viewfinder (again, I’m not, but if it did, I’d be tempted to pay a price for it that I wouldn’t contemplate for a body without it).

I keep my K-3 for its reach with longer lenses, compared with my K-1, and for the lighter weight of the DAs for some types of travel. Given that my next planned walking trip outside Australia has now been put back to next year’s Northern Autumn, I have more time to consider the price-performance balance of the new body, not to mention the possibility of a lower-than-launch price.

I’m happy with my (converted) DA*16-50, so I’ll most likely stick with that plus the DA*50-135 and buy the DA*11-18 to complete the package with whatever camera body I have at the time. Nonetheless, I’ll not decide on a new APS-C body until I see exactly what’s on offer and at what price.

06-12-2020, 06:02 PM - 4 Likes   #287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm happy with the lenses I have now, but I may grab some D FA lenses after the K-new is released.
PENTAX has the dynamic range, ISO S/N ratio, colour (color) science, ergonomics, customization options, usability, rugged build and overall reliability. Just eek more ability from the AF (which it seems they're really focusing (no pun intended) on now)) and they'll have a smash hit of a camera. I'll be in the pre-order line!
Think about it, KP ISO capability (not the otherworldly max ISO, but the 12,800 and under which are very impressive) coupled with faster sure footed AF, dual card slots (hopefully), typical K-7/5/3 magnesium body and ergonomics, K-3 ish buffer (could be deeper, never know) and hopefully at the minimum 8.3 fps which is fine to me, 10 would be great, but 8.3 is still decent to me. They've nailed every aspect of the experience except AF. If they get that right, this will definitely be a home run camera for Pentax.
06-13-2020, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #288
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Ya, there's the issue, the K-3 isn't that bad. They really have to do something to sell me a new body before it dies. With the K-3 I stand beside all those guy I see when I go out to popular shooting spot, and don't feel I'm at a disadvantage.... I'd like a better K-new, but I'm fine.

As for BiF photography, everyone knows Pentax is not as good as some for it... but if you look at the BiF thread 1000 likes, 1400 posts, 152,000 views...

Compared to the 300mm plus club 60,000 likes, 33,000 replies, over 3 million views if would seem BiF photography is a very small subset of bird photography being enjoyed by just a small fraction of bird photographers, forget about photographers in general. As I guy who shoots a lot of birds, my BiF opportunities are few and far between. I honestly wouldn't buy a specialized camera just to do it. For one thing, a K-3 does it. You may get more keepers with a different system, but you aren't completely incapable with a K-3.

And many of us have little use for "more keepers" If we get 10 good shots from session, we're happy, and we delete the rest in any case.
I really like my K-3ii. I once ented a K-1 and 18 months later I'm still shooting with my 5-year-old K-3ii. My 4K monitor cycles through a few dozen of my favorites all the time, and for most of them I have a hard time seeing where any other camera would have done much better.

But, I think the K-new may hit that sweet spot of my requirements. I get my 10 keepers from a soccer match (really more like 100 reasonably good ones out of 300), but half the time they're not exactly the 10 I wanted, and the one where my boy made that beautiful cutback and the defender fell down... that one was focused on the guy in the chair on the sideline. No camera will 100% fix that, but I'm guessing the K-new will help.
06-13-2020, 05:20 AM - 2 Likes   #289
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I really like my K-3ii.
I enjoyed my K-3ii also, but after using my K-1 and my KP (size and speed in an APS-c), I decided to sell my K-3ii. After 5 years of light use (less than 8,000 snaps), I sold it for $700 -- I was surprised that a 5 year old camera kept its value but the speed and improvements of the newer bodies kept the K-3ii at home and saw no reason to not let someone else enjoy the Pentax way.

06-13-2020, 05:05 PM   #290
Veteran Member

Pretty sure I'll be upgrading when the K-new (K300?) comes out. I can't see myself parting with my K-3 though. It is just too solid a camera. Plus I can use it as backup if needed. Now, my K-x, that will probably end up on the used market. Side note on the K-x: It was absolutely amazing what you could get from high ISO pics at the time. Loved that camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I enjoyed
my K-3ii also, but after using my K-1 and my KP (size and speed in an APS-c), I decided to sell my K-3ii. After 5 years of light use (less than 8,000 snaps), I sold it for $700 -- I was surprised that a 5 year old camera kept its value but the speed and improvements of the newer bodies kept the K-3ii at home and saw no reason to not let someone else enjoy the Pentax way.
06-21-2020, 04:41 AM   #291

I'll definitely be upgrading from my K3, it's starting to show it's age with newer cameras.

Perhaps the new sensor will be the IMX510 or some newer sensor hence the delays.
06-21-2020, 04:52 AM - 4 Likes   #292
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Huxley Quote
Perhaps the new sensor will be the IMX510 or some newer sensor hence the delays.
What "delays"? Come on, folks, a product isn't delayed just because it isn't ready when we wish...

You know, we wishing for stuff is instant; but making our wish come true, developing the actual product is hard work.
And I would rather think of the new AF system, new electronics, new viewfinder, etc. than waiting for some sensor.

06-21-2020, 05:11 AM - 5 Likes   #293
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What "delays"?
I suspect this is a subconscious interpretation of the fact that Ricoh is releasing bodies at less frequent intervals than other manufacturers. We really ought to take into consideration the possibility that Ricoh is doing exactly as they had planned, and as they see fit from the perspective of successful marketing.
06-21-2020, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #294
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I suspect this is a subconscious interpretation of the fact that Ricoh is releasing bodies at less frequent intervals than other manufacturers. We really ought to take into consideration the possibility that Ricoh is doing exactly as they had planned, and as they see fit from the perspective of successful marketing.
I believe they simply have their hands full at making their most advanced camera to date.
And launching minor updates with old technology would have delayed that.
07-08-2020, 09:24 PM   #295
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I believe they simply have their hands full at making their most advanced camera to date.
And launching minor updates with old technology would have delayed that.
Hope so! I suspect that the sensor is a major reason for the waiting time, and the reason why I wasn't able to get any specs when I saw the prototype. I don't mind waiting a bit longer for the right sensor, but I wish I could have the improved AF now rather than the end of the year. Even so, I'm still enjoying the K3, more than I expected compared to the K5iis.
07-09-2020, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #296
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
For me, “delays” is a conscious reaction to the time since the K-1ii was released and to the lack of any product ‘on the K-3ii shelf’.
07-09-2020, 01:11 AM   #297

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
For me, “delays” is a conscious reaction to the time since the K-1ii was released and to the lack of any product ‘on the K-3ii shelf’.
I agree. The delay of top of the line APS-C body could be another way to push more people to go for a full-frame body. I believe it's a tough decision but Ricoh has already decided to go for this approach and it seems to work out somehow.
07-09-2020, 04:23 AM - 4 Likes   #298
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by parinya-ekparinya Quote
I agree. The delay of top of the line APS-C body could be another way to push more people to go for a full-frame body. I believe it's a tough decision but Ricoh has already decided to go for this approach and it seems to work out somehow.
I would like to think that their schedule is based on the resources they have to design, build, and test the K-new, and not some scheme to hope (after all this investment) it doesn't sell well because they want everyone to go full frame. Most people who invested in $800 Pentax APS-C bodies and $500 APS-C lenses are not going to suddenly decide that they really need a $2000 body and a number of $1000-2000 lenses. And if Ricoh were to insist they go down that path they'll either stick with what they have or go to another manufacturer that meets their requirements.
07-09-2020, 04:37 AM   #299
Closed Account

Is there any speculation on the price point yet?
07-09-2020, 04:41 AM - 2 Likes   #300
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I would like to think that their schedule is based on the resources they have to design, build, and test the K-new, and not some scheme to hope (after all this investment) it doesn't sell well because they want everyone to go full frame. Most people who invested in $800 Pentax APS-C bodies and $500 APS-C lenses are not going to suddenly decide that they really need a $2000 body and a number of $1000-2000 lenses. And if Ricoh were to insist they go down that path they'll either stick with what they have or go to another manufacturer that meets their requirements.
Some people would rather believe in ad-hoc conspiracy theories.
Of course Ricoh Imaging wants the camera to be successful. Of course they're not delaying its release hoping to drive people away - that's absurd.
The simplest explanation, and the correct one is that development takes time. Even for something as simple as the texture on the joystick, they had mockups, then a first prototype to be tested in the field, and finally they incorporated feedback into a second prototype.
The new AF? That's several orders of magnitude more complex.

Oh, and the APS-C is released before a FF with the same technology. If they wanted to push people toward FF they'd replace the K-1 first.