Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2020, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
Is there any speculation on the price point yet?
No one seems to think it will be under about $1500 U.S. But that's difficult, because we don't know what the specs are.

07-09-2020, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #302
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
No one seems to think it will be under about $1500 U.S. But that's difficult, because we don't know what the specs are.
About $1500 (so about 1700€ or so) sounds about right if the features and specs are as good as we expect. It will be uncomfortably close to the K-1 and substantially higher than the KP (or most other APS-C cameras with the exception of the D500), but it seems to bring a lot of new stuff to the table - it will probably be one of the "early adopters pay for R&D" models.
07-09-2020, 07:04 AM   #303

I'm guessing $1200-1300. $1300 was the launch price of the K3, $1200 puts it in line with the EOS 90D. $1500 would put it with the current price of the D500.

Given current economics, competition, I would be surprised, unless the specs are an absolute out of the park home run.
07-09-2020, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #304
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by guinnessman Quote
I'm guessing $1200-1300. $1300 was the launch price of the K3, $1200 puts it in line with the EOS 90D. $1500 would put it with the current price of the D500.
No way. Cameras aren't getting cheaper, and this is the most advanced Pentax camera to date.
Don't compare launch prices with street prices.

07-09-2020, 08:20 AM   #305
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know but I'd guess in the $1300 range also -- if Pentax is going to more expensive lens models I can see them being really competitive with the bodies to draw new users to the brand. Also leaves a nice gap for the k-1 iii to be in the $2000 range. Maybe just all wishful hoping ...
07-09-2020, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #306
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by guinnessman Quote

Given current economics, competition, I would be surprised, unless the specs are an absolute out of the park home run.
How much will it cost? Who knows, but my guess is that it will definitely cost more than the K-3, K-3II, & KP.

You gotta remember that this body has a lot of stuff that no other DSLR has. A viewfinder that magnifies as large as a FF viewfinder, probably an enhanced 5-axis IBIS, a newer sensor, a much more advanced AF system (might not be D500 like, but probably far better than anything Pentax has released before it), & a host of other features that a Nikon D500 doesn't have nor any other DSLR on the market.

The D500 is amazing when it comes to AF performance, but outside of that, it's kind of meh. It doesn't have IBIS for when you want to shoot low light static scenes & can't lug around a tripod. Most of their primes are not stabilized either. Nikon also wants you to get a FF instead. Their APS-C support is very lacking. It's kind of gigantic too. Same thing with the Sony a6600. Super awesome AF, but everything else kind of sucks. The IBIS is lame & it's very laggy when it comes to switching settings on it. If Sony calls than an APS-C flagship, then they must be smoking something really good. Sony is also trying to move everyone to FF & that's probably why the skimped so heavily on the a6600. Then there's the lack of APS-C specific lenses. Why pay for FF lenses to only get wasted on an APS-C sensor? Might as well move up to the a7 line for a few hundred dollars more.

There's more to a camera than AF alone & image quality alone. It definitely needs to be balanced. The only other APS-C camera that tempts me is the Fujifilm X-T4. It might not have AF on the level of the a6600 or D500, but the AF on that is still a lot better than anything Pentax currently offers & it also has IBIS. One can even shoot decent video with it, not that it matters much to me.

But yeah. There's a lot of competition out there too.
07-09-2020, 08:41 AM - 2 Likes   #307
Pentaxian

Yeah, new Pentax need to price compete with street priced Nikons from years ago but when nikon gets a camera out it can be priced wherever because it is Nikon.
Guys, you wonder why Pentax is small ? You ask for it somehow.

07-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #308
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wondering if $1500+ pushes the price too high - esp as competitors are trying to come out with low priced full frame cams and that the market is really tough now with the overall market shrinking.
07-09-2020, 02:33 PM   #309

$1500 is way to expensive! K-3ii successor mean same price range as k-3ii. I don't remember the price of the k3-ii when it hits the market but I purchased mine new for 800€ 1 year after the release. Above 1300€ it is not a k-3 successor but a new product above k-3 that target richer people, and k-3 buyers will be disappointed and will still wait the K-3ii successor.
07-09-2020, 02:37 PM - 2 Likes   #310
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote
$1500 is way to expensive! K-3ii successor mean same price range as k-3ii. I don't remember the price of the k3-ii when it hits the market but I purchased mine new for 800€ 1 year after the release. Above 1300€ it is not a k-3 successor but a new product above k-3 that target richer people, and k-3 buyers will be disappointed and will still wait the K-3ii successor.
£4k plus for a R5 is for richer people .... 1300 Euros would be a bargain for a K-3II successor if it's as good as everyone hopes.

Anyway, this whole thread is a speculation so why worry about it.
07-09-2020, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #311
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote
I'll wait until the final specifications have been announced before commenting on the pricing. It would be un-Pentax-y for them to price themselves higher than market competitors. They tend to figure out how to deliver real value while cutting back on the fluff.
07-09-2020, 03:58 PM - 6 Likes   #312
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I would like to think that their schedule is based on the resources they have to design, build, and test the K-new, and not some scheme to hope (after all this investment) it doesn't sell well because they want everyone to go full frame. Most people who invested in $800 Pentax APS-C bodies and $500 APS-C lenses are not going to suddenly decide that they really need a $2000 body and a number of $1000-2000 lenses. And if Ricoh were to insist they go down that path they'll either stick with what they have or go to another manufacturer that meets their requirements.
I think what happened is the decided before release of the KP that FF (K-1) would be their only full-featured (Flagship) camera. Most of their recent lens development has been FF lenses. KP is an enthusiast camera with fewer features targeted for smaller size and use with the comparatively tiny FA Limiteds.

Customer response in formed them they made an ill-chosen business decision, so they started development of a clean-sheet, Flagship-featured APSC camera. Any new tech will show up in the K-1ll replacement. Conspiracy is so much less likely than a simple business redirection.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Some people would rather believe in ad-hoc conspiracy theories.
Of course Ricoh Imaging wants the camera to be successful. Of course they're not delaying its release hoping to drive people away - that's absurd.
The simplest explanation, and the correct one is that development takes time. Even for something as simple as the texture on the joystick, they had mockups, then a first prototype to be tested in the field, and finally they incorporated feedback into a second prototype.
The new AF? That's several orders of magnitude more complex.

Oh, and the APS-C is released before a FF with the same technology. If they wanted to push people toward FF they'd replace the K-1 first.
As I recall, it takes 4 years to develop a new camera. If they started in late 2016 from a clean sheet - based on the spec’s for (hypothetically) the design brief for a future Sony sensor . . . . . .
07-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #313
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As I recall, it takes 4 years to develop a new camera. If they started in late 2016 from a clean sheet - based on the spec’s for (hypothetically) the design brief for a future Sony sensor . . . . . .
According to Mr. Farreng, 14 to 18 months for a DSLR, you can shave some months for mirrorless.
07-09-2020, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #314
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's an architectural rewrite that has to be scalable for FF & 645. It's the bits around the sensor. Patience Padawan, Patience.
07-09-2020, 04:42 PM - 2 Likes   #315
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Conspiracy is so much less likely than a simple business redirection.
Right! Even business with a passion needs to be economic.