Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1230 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2020, 05:11 PM   #316
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yeah, new Pentax need to price compete with street priced Nikons from years ago but when nikon gets a camera out it can be priced wherever because it is Nikon.
Guys, you wonder why Pentax is small ? You ask for it somehow.
To be fair, the main comment on the A6600 was "1500 for a camera with one dial is insane no matter the AF". Not even the people at DPR liked it, and they *love* praising Sony.

The Canon 90D is not exactly a flagship, but it *did* debut a 32MP new sensor with the highest pixel density of any APS-C camera (R&D expenses up the wazoo considering the new R5 has a 45MP chip so it's not the same tech), it has very good AF, shoots 10 fps with AF tracking, has OVF face detection because of the ridiculously detailed metering system and has some measure of weather sealing (okay, it's not a Pentax ). It released at... 1200? If the K-new were to have those internal specs (save for the sensor, maybe, 24-26 MP would be best IMO) in the shown body everyone would be very happy...

I think slightly higher price than the 90D would be reasonable for the K-New. Sure, we should be considering the sensor will be sourced from Sony and it will likely be a slightly older model (no R&D cost) but, of course, we have to compensate by taking into account the R&D of the AF module (the 90D uses a similar one to the 7D so Pentax will have worked more on that).

07-09-2020, 06:26 PM - 2 Likes   #317
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote
$1500 is way to expensive! K-3ii successor mean same price range as k-3ii. I don't remember the price of the k3-ii when it hits the market but I purchased mine new for 800€ 1 year after the release. Above 1300€ it is not a k-3 successor but a new product above k-3 that target richer people, and k-3 buyers will be disappointed and will still wait the K-3ii successor.
What??? The K-3 introductory price was 1299 USD. So if it hits the market near that price it won't be a new product targeting richer people, it will definitely the successor to the K-3/K-3II. K-3K-3II owners will buy it and not wait for your so called K-3II successor!
07-09-2020, 06:43 PM - 4 Likes   #318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feel like I have to wade into the price thing. 1299 is not the same as it was when the K-3 was released. Decisions made around the world by a lot of ill-informed people have driven the values of the majority of the currencies down so pricing will go up. Also Pentax have said no to the fork in the road that says mirrorless & video, going against the will of the reviewing mob. That's means a more informed user base who will need to pay extra for less. By less I mean a master of stills and not a jack of all trades video / stills portable compute unit that is linked to an optical lens which in turn is linked to a sensor that pushes raw data to an AI tuned processor that will create 'your' image based on what the mob perception of what they think is good.

Last edited by robbiec; 07-09-2020 at 07:49 PM.
07-09-2020, 06:52 PM   #319
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
1900$+
Boy, that sure threw a wet blanket on all the speculation!

07-09-2020, 07:01 PM - 2 Likes   #320
Pentaxian

reference D500 released price
1999.95$
K-new's goal is to exceed D500.
07-09-2020, 07:37 PM   #321
Pentaxian

Of course.
07-10-2020, 01:34 AM   #322
Veteran Member

I was first believing introduction price would be in the 1400-1500 USD region but I am no longer optimistic. This Knew will offer relatively more than what K3 used to bring at its time in comparison with his peers.
Now I would bet on a 1600-1800 USD range. I am afraid it is already too expensive for many pentax users but all brands are increasing top gears prices so it is not like if churning was made any easier lately...

07-10-2020, 01:50 AM - 4 Likes   #323
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I was first believing introduction price would be in the 1400-1500 USD region but I am no longer optimistic. This Knew will offer relatively more than what K3 used to bring at its time in comparison with his peers.
Now I would bet on a 1600-1800 USD range. I am afraid it is already too expensive for many pentax users but all brands are increasing top gears prices so it is not like if churning was made any easier lately...
But it is Pentax so it needs to be cheap, no? :roll:
07-10-2020, 01:57 AM - 2 Likes   #324
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Not every Pentax user bought into the system just because it was cheap. If you buy a high-end Pentax, it is good value, but it is not cheap. There are people here who very willingly pay the prices of the new lenses, which are far from being cheap. And some of us are Pentax users because we have an appreciation for the brand's achievements during its history.
07-10-2020, 02:31 AM   #325
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
But it is Pentax so it needs to be cheap, no? :roll:
We are spoiled with the K-1 (and K-1ii) being cheap .
In the end Pentax have to pay for the AF and prism development and who knows what else they are bringing to the table, so a bunch of money will have to be fronted by the early adopters; we'll get the new features/performance for cheaper in the K-1iii and the next entry-level (or mid-level, depending on how the product lines turn out in the end) APS-C.
I'm sure they haven't revealed all the juicy bits...
07-10-2020, 02:32 AM   #326
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Release price and street price will be different -- maybe by quite a bit. Pentax will drop the price over time until they are selling the number of units they want per month. My guess would be that it will be eventually in the 1200 to 1300 dollar range.
07-10-2020, 03:15 AM   #327
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suppose the price could be quite close to the Ki-ii. For some people that would put them in competition for choice, it all depends on what your priorities are and what lenses you have but if you want to bring people into the Pentax eco system you've got to price to the competition, unless of course you're intent on re-positioning yourself in a changing market.

There was a speculative article in the Luminous Landscape which fancied that Pentax's R&D department was small enough to keep costs down and quite targeted. It was written from a different perspective to the cost of the k-new though. Linked to below, if you can read it. I could the first time but not the 2nd.

Olympus has Fallen ? Who?s next? - Luminous Landscape
07-10-2020, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #328
Veteran Member

What we should keep in mind is that the market for real cameras is shrinking. Well, it's even minute now. Additionally, as I understood it, Ricoh stated in some interview that their products are for photography enthusiasts. Be it professional or amateurs or whatever you'd like to call it. With a tiny share in a minute market, with products for enthusiasts, I expect not only paramount products (I think they are working on it) but also prices that go north.

Ricoh / Pentax should be well with one mid/entry APSC, one professional APSC, one professional FF and one professional 645. Four cameras are sufficient. I once looked at Nikon and was only confused by this complety mess of a product range. A friend always used Canon, film and digital, probably mid-range and that DSLR was also several times out to repair. So nothing to gain with other companies.

Regarding the lenses, I see very few gaps in the line-up. Yes, there are some gaps and some updates necessary but you have a rich choice of old glass which still shines.

And regarding the market, I think Ricoh will wade through the crisis (virus and economic) far better than every other camera company, maybe except Leica (which is a different story). Why do I think so? Because they are already following their strategy for photography enthusiasts. I am sure Ricoh makes sufficient money with the imaging departement to keep it alive. Small, yes, slow, yes, but kicking.
07-10-2020, 04:12 AM - 6 Likes   #329
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
There was a speculative article in the Luminous Landscape which fancied that Pentax's R&D department was small enough to keep costs down and quite targeted. It was written from a different perspective to the cost of the k-new though. Linked to below, if you can read it. I could the first time but not the 2nd.

Olympus has Fallen ? Who?s next? - Luminous Landscape
A waste of time - the article is terribly ill informed, at least regarding Pentax. There is no Pentax company in the first place, as we all know - but not the author (or he doesn't care).
Then the stupid, overused lie "Pentax lenses are made by Tamron" - just as the D FA* 85mm f/1.4 was released. Obviously, his conclusion is that we shouldn't buy Pentax
If he cannot get such simple facts right, how could he possibly know and predict the evolution of the camera market?

Without Michael Reichmann, Luminous Landscape is garbage.
07-10-2020, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #330
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A waste of time - the article is terribly ill informed, at least regarding Pentax. There is no Pentax company in the first place, as we all know - but not the author (or he doesn't care).
Then the stupid, overused lie "Pentax lenses are made by Tamron" - just as the D FA* 85mm f/1.4 was released. Obviously, his conclusion is that we shouldn't buy Pentax
If he cannot get such simple facts right, how could he possibly know and predict the evolution of the camera market?

Without Michael Reichmann, Luminous Landscape is garbage.
Indeed, this article is Beeping BeepBeep.