Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2020, 10:26 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Perhaps we shouldn't try making too much of this.
Wasn't Fujifilm relying on the Instax a lot?
Yes, Instax is a way bigger business and I assume with better margins.

Instant Film, Not Digital Cameras Is the Main Reason Fujifilm Is Doing So Well | Fstoppers

05-12-2020, 10:28 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Yes, Instax is a way bigger business and I assume with better margins.

Instant Film, Not Digital Cameras Is the Main Reason Fujifilm Is Doing So Well | Fstoppers
With how ridiculously expensive Instax film is (something over 1€ per photo in Germany!) I'm not surprised in the slightest.
05-12-2020, 11:12 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Essential Pandemic debate:
1) Buy gear to support the Pentax finances?
2) Sell gear to support the monochrome finances?
05-12-2020, 11:39 AM - 2 Likes   #19
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That's easy: both.

05-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #20
Pentaxian

1) I don't see that as a good reason to buy gear. A better answer would be "because I don't have one those yet." Unless you plan to buy a lot of gear, your purchase won't make any significant difference to the Pentax finances.

2) I don't have a good feeling about this. In the coming months there might be a lot of gear on the market from folks who need to support their finances. This will drive down prices and your sale will not make a significant difference to your finances. I haven't seen much evidence of such a downturn yet, but only time will tell.
05-12-2020, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
1) I don't see that as a good reason to buy gear. A better answer would be "because I don't have one those yet." Unless you plan to buy a lot of gear, your purchase won't make any significant difference to the Pentax finances.

2) I don't have a good feeling about this. In the coming months there might be a lot of gear on the market from folks who need to support their finances. This will drive down prices and your sale will not make a significant difference to your finances. I haven't seen much evidence of such a downturn yet, but only time will tell.
1) I’m pretty average. I typically buy a new car at the absolute high month for new car sales in that cycle. If I buy gear lots of other people are probably buying gear, so by extensions it does affect Pentax finances.

2) I have enough.gear that a concerted effort to sell gear would change my financial position.
05-12-2020, 07:27 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
The problems with Covid-19 will reflect more on Q1 2020 and later. The financial year ended close to the beginning of the problems with Covid-19 so do not influence the results heavily yet. Ricoh/Pentax camera's is part of Smart Vision and is not mentioned where the Theta's and the GR's are mentioned in a positive way. Now I would not call a DSLR or a mirrorless "Smart Vision". Let me think...
I believe that Ricoh really pushes the Theta and GR series as they are likely very high profit units. And Theta is probably holding the largest market share of 360 cameras. They also have a Theta that is sold for business use only, (as is the IR 645)

05-13-2020, 03:18 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't buy gear to support Pentax's finances. I do it to replace gear that is getting to the end of its life cycle or to take care of holes in my line up. My K3 is getting old and the new APS-C camera could fill that need. The DFA *85 definitely looks exciting to me as well. I'm probably looking at both, eventually...