Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2020, 07:00 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax execs said the reason they didn't do 4k video was they didn't have access to a chip that could do it. Given that attitude, and the delay in getting this camera out, it's a distinct possibility that someone agreed to sell them a chip. That's something to look for.

And we know from 645z experience, if a new chip becomes available during development, Pentax will drop everything and retool for it.

05-14-2020, 07:01 AM   #122

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Based on recent experience, a new Pentax lens has a significant probability of being a rebadge. Personally, I don't mind that if it fills out the range more quickly.
Well, I think that we should be little bit less enthusiastic about rebranding. Yes, this give us opportunity to fill any gap in our system lens line-up little bit faster, but sometime it comes with the price. And pretty big one...
In my area of the world I can buy lovely Pentax 70-210 f/4, which seems pretty god travel telephoto zoom for 1,199 pounds. The very same lens sold as Tamron (but not available with Pentax mount, obviously) cost 549 pounds. Maybe Pentax re-branded version offers better coatings, but I am not think that they are worth over a twice of the price of the lens... And original Tamron offers optical image stabilization built in, which is of course not available for re-branded Pentax version. I know that my cameras are a quipped with IBIS, but having two system available isn't bad thing: in-lens stabilization can improve C-AF in some cases for example...
05-14-2020, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Unfortunately????!!!
Google Translate artefact. What's unfortunate is that CP+ was cancelled and therefore they couldn't showcase their so-called reference products as planned.
05-14-2020, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Not at all. I didn't even go for the K-1ii.
Same here. I contemplated "upgrading" from K1 to 645Z or even Fuji GFX but after much thought and research, I decided that the marginal improvements were not worth the substantial cost of switching. Like you, I expect my K1 to last me at least 10 years. The only worry I have is not finding batteries or repair in another 6 or 7 years.

K1 was more than a FF camera for Pentax. It was the sweet spot of quality vs. cost of any camera brand. It proved to me at least that 36MP is plenty for almost every application I have right now and well into the immediate future.

05-14-2020, 07:05 AM - 2 Likes   #125
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dunno for 15-30/2.8 but I had both 24-70/2.8 Tamron G2 and Pentax rebrand at the same time in hands, and harsh reflection on front element are way better handled on Pentax. Also Tamron coating has a bit magenta tint while for Pentax is more into green-yellow in same light conditions.
05-14-2020, 07:06 AM   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
My experience with the HD coated lenses is that I very rarely see any flaring from them ... except for the DFA 15-30, which is a monster for it with sunlight from the side. The redeeming feature is that it generally looks cool.
That could be true, but MJKoski's claim about the HD coating is hogwash.

None of my HD coated lenses have any flare issue.
05-14-2020, 07:15 AM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That could be true, but MJKoski's claim about the HD coating is hogwash.

I would never again waste my time on a MJKoski raised issue. He blew that with his "star eater"claims on the K-1ii.

Anyone who claims his work is repeatable when no one has repeated it, doesn't know enough about science or testing to be taken seriously. And he and I can look at the same set of images and come to different conclusions, so his work is worthless to me.

Maybe someone can point to a post where someone has thanked MJ for his work because it helped them produce better pictures. I haven't seen one but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I'm trying to be open minded here. I'd like to think his work has some value to someone.

Last edited by normhead; 05-14-2020 at 07:27 AM.
05-14-2020, 07:16 AM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The D FA 28-105 shows flare if you shoot into the sun, but nothing particularly problematic. On the other hand, my "old" Tamron 17-50/2.8 is basically about the same level of performance, but I don't know how much is lens design and how much is coatings. A proper side-by-side shooting in challenging conditions between the Tamron and the Pentax would probably show slight differences but nothing out of this world.

I doubt the HD coatings are worse than anyone else's coatings. I'm also not sure they are particularly better, but since they work well... they work well. There's no need for anything else
05-14-2020, 07:42 AM   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
That would be almost as exciting as the $40 anniversary hot shoe cover. I know some people are fans, but I never quite understood the appeal of paying $500 for slightly better image quality than you get from cropping.
The shoe cover was merely cosmetic - a TC gives real value.

My 1.4X TC gives very good images, and I still have cropping available to me.
05-14-2020, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
You are correct a rebadge won’t be as cheap but it will still be significantly less expensive than the 150-450 and longer.

At B&H the 150-450 is on sale for $2000 from a list of $2500.

The first generation of the Tamron is listed at $1070 and on sale for $900 to $950. So a rebadged lens might be $1200-1400.

But as I said, it is my hope and certainly not a guess let alone a prediction.

If it turns out to be reality then I might start saving up money.
This is when I say if you want a cheap long lens it's time to switch systems. Pentax has its niche and cheap-long isn't it.
05-14-2020, 08:20 AM - 3 Likes   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
This is when I say if you want a cheap long lens it's time to switch systems. Pentax has its niche and cheap-long isn't it.
Or make do with manual focus...
05-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Or make do with manual focus...
I have a hard time manually focusing a long lens fast enough on a moving target, but my 77-420mm lens {55-300 PLM + 1.4 TC} gets the job done.
05-14-2020, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Pentax's current marketing strategy is high end, high value, low production run gear. There is no Pentax gear made in the last 15 years even remotely close to the cheapness of my FA 35-80 or FAJ 18-35. And if you look at Tamron and Sigma, they've both gone on to compete in higher end markets as well. These days, everyone wants to compete with the best.

Look at Briscleto's images taken with his Sigma 150-500 and those taken with his 150-450 and you'll see why immediately. Unless you are going for older manual glass, there is a difference. And even then on eBay, a Pentax 300mm f/2.8 ED is worth $3000.

If you want good modern long glass, you pay. No way around it.

Last edited by normhead; 05-14-2020 at 08:34 AM.
05-14-2020, 08:32 AM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have a hard time manually focusing a long lens fast enough on a moving target, but my 77-420mm lens {55-300 PLM + 1.4 TC} gets the job done.
That's what, f/9 on the long end? I'd rarely have enough light here for that thing to manage AF.
05-14-2020, 08:35 AM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That's what, f/9 on the long end? I'd rarely have enough light here for that thing to manage AF.
My KP has never failed to focus, even in rather dim light.

added: I just experimented out our back door, alternating between a flower pot on the deck and the woods beyond there {new focus point}.
I'm not very good at figuring out EV values quickly, but on this rainy day, in TAv mode, with 1/125 and f9.5, ISO value varied between 9000 and 12800. It did focus quickly and surely.

Last edited by reh321; 05-14-2020 at 08:51 AM.