Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2020, 09:56 PM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Great news all around. Their priorities are well tuned! Could hardly have asked for better choices.

05-14-2020, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #212
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Still interesting that they haven't got the aperture displayed on the lens body (yet), in either FA Limited marking, or the newer DA and DFA markings...
I think “surprise” (or withholding details) is part of their viral marketing strategy that started with K-7 (remember the OOF and super close-up photos trickling out?).
05-14-2020, 10:03 PM - 2 Likes   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I agree. Kinda odd how they are still confident on this year for release, but can’t provide more basic details.
I also thought a few more K-new specs may have been forthcoming given it is still on-track for launch this year. However, given that real news has been sparse for the past year or so, I can see that there was enough good news today about the lenses and that the K-New (with its mega-OVF) is imminent, to get all/most/some of us excited again for the future of Pentax. I think they chose to keep some info they could have shared for another day, which they said they would do. The DA 16-50 upgrade, and to a lessor extent the DFA 21 are both added incentives to buy a K-new. I think there is good chance of DA 50-135 upgrade coming in the not so distant future.

I don't own a mirrorless (aside from GR3) but their EVF's have plenty of detractors here and elsewhere. Having a superb viewfinder in a compact APSC with superb APSC sized lenses (11-28, 16-50, 50-135?, Limiteds?) could possibly swing a few mirrorless types towards Pentax and convince a few others to stay DSLR? Lets hope. Despite leaving the video wanting to know more, I cant help but be mightily encouraged by what I saw.
05-14-2020, 10:10 PM   #214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Nothing wrong with that... I have a feeling that 21mm and f3.2 could be a nice lens... reminds me of something familiar
Nothing wrong, but there is certainly going to be confusion

05-14-2020, 10:31 PM   #215
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
On another thread Mistral75 also pointed out there is a 4 on the DoF scale. The max aperture might be wider than 4 but I’d guess not 2.8. There’s plenty of white space either side of the center line though, like the 31 and 77.

AFA the nomenclature - probably staying in the FA Limited tradition.
On M 20mm f4 or M 50mm f4 DOF scale also starts at 4...
05-14-2020, 10:49 PM   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Did you have one?
05-14-2020, 11:51 PM   #217
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yey! Exactly what I was hoping for! Can’t wait to try out the new AF, and all the rest, and they DID say this year after all! *happy*

05-15-2020, 12:09 AM   #218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Hate to be that guy, but I'm a little disappointed by the lack of revealed specs for the new camera. The only new info is finder magnification, its protrusion from the body, and the battery grip.

Still no definitive statement about the rear screen. No AF module specifics. Nothing about the sensor and image processing engine. Nothing about video.

It's nice to hear that it's still on track for 2020, though.
The sane thing to do is to not reveal too much, months in advance of the actual release. A teaser like the viewfinder magnification is perfectly normal.

Nope... the screen is still fixed. No amount of insisting would change that.
05-15-2020, 12:59 AM   #219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. OH BOY. Stream-of-thought post incoming.

So, the D FA* 85 will have a focus on well corrected aberrations while keeping a beautiful bokeh. Eat your heart out, DPR!

They have physical black/silver prototypes for the D FA 21 LTD. It looks like the shorter cousin of the 31! Adorable, and a credible threat to my wallet . I can't wait to see their idea of an UWA with Limited rendering. I like that they use the same focus rings as in the rest of the princesses. Did they say it will be great for 3D pop with great bokeh? On an UWA? Okay my wallet is shaking already.
Now they mounted it on a K-1. Forget what I said, it's the slightly bigger cousin of the 31! Darn, I was getting too excited. The wallet breathes a sigh of relief and the M20/4 hopes for a lot of "every-gram-counts" hikes. And at 14:37 on the video it can be seen that it's either KAF-4 or the mockup simply doesn't have a mechanical aperture lever.

The DA* 16-50/2.8 PLM looks every bit as premium as it can. Shame it won't come out with the K-new but if the IQ improves on the weak spots of the premium lens it should be a cracker with the PLM.

More compact and affordable lenses in the future! Honestly the 21 isn't *that* large, and if the weight is low it's all good, but can't beat a pancake in size if you want serious IQ .

An OVF with 1.05x mag is gonna be incredible, yay. SR button on the side of the mount? Huh. The padlock button is interesting... what does it do? No articulating screen, bummer. Although if the OVF is even better than the K-1 one I'd gladly drop to the ground for those low-angle shots . Late 2020 release date probably? Yay.

All in all, excited to see how it all turns out! I'm eagerly awaiting more news for the 21, but it looks that after the consolidation Ricoh is back in the thick of it, this means two fully new lenses in 2021... or later, but let's try not to jinx it .

EDIT: Just checked and the FA Limited all have DOF scales starting at f/4, so no indication of speed on the D FA 21. Maybe f/2.4 because 2.8 is too mainstream?

Last edited by Serkevan; 05-15-2020 at 01:16 AM.
05-15-2020, 01:12 AM   #220
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Yep, a mite light on important details on the camera. Oh well, my KP is not quaking in its boots at this time, certainly.

Liking the DFA 21 limited - hope it's better than f4, though.
Presumably, it does have a deeper buffer - the one “weakness” of the KP - but since I have not yet reached the bottom of the KP’s buffer, I certainly will stay satisfied with my KP.
05-15-2020, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #221
Pentaxian

They heard us quarrel in the past about the lens roadmap not being updated on time so they decided to update it lighting fast today.
05-15-2020, 01:28 AM   #222
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The sane thing to do is to not reveal too much, months in advance of the actual release. A teaser like the viewfinder magnification is perfectly normal.

Nope... the screen is still fixed. No amount of insisting would change that.
Actually, I am pretty sure the "nose mark reducing design" of the viewfinder + lcd screen will be a more useful feature for me than options for turning and twisting. I had a flippy screen many years ago on a lumix compact camera, and I never used it as much as I had imagined.
05-15-2020, 01:29 AM   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The padlock button is interesting... what does it do?
On my K-1 the Lock Button is used to temporarily disable dials and buttons.
05-15-2020, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
On my K-1 the Lock Button is used to temporarily disable dials and buttons.
But that's boring! Where's the exciting feature?
(I think I've never pressed that button on my K-1...)
05-15-2020, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #225
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
Any ideas what that would mean?

I can't think of other Pentax bodies with that lock symbol?

On the K1 it is for Live View, so maybe there is still some kind of EVF hiding in there?

Maybe that button is quick mirror lockup and switch to EVF?

There is always hope... lol
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Oh boy oh boy oh boy. OH BOY. Stream-of-thought post incoming.

... The padlock button is interesting... what does it do? ...

The lock is also on the K-1. It locks the buttons to prevent accidental change of settings. It's on the camera-left side the top button.