Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 223 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2020, 05:20 AM - 2 Likes   #241
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DFA 21 Limited is a full frame equivalent of the DA15 Limited, not the DA 21.

I can't see it having any attraction for APS-C users. At all.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Well, for me it *will* replace my DA21/3.2 on my APS-C. OTOH I would find it too wide on a K-1... Long live differences of opinion!
The DA 20-40mm LTD gives you 21mm (but also 20, and 22-40), it's 2.8 at the wide end, it has a DC motor, it has WR. It's 68mm long and weighs under 300g. It is sharp and has nice rendering. Currently $496 on B&H.

The new 21mm LTD gives you 21mm. Not sure of the aperture. Has DC/WR. And it looks like it'll be in the neighborhood of 68mm long and weighing at least 300g, although we don't know exactly. The FA31mm and FA77 are about $800, so I'm guessing this one will probably be about $1000 at launch.

I agree with Sandy, the advantages of the new 21mm on APS-C are going to be slight, and the cost much more.

05-15-2020, 05:21 AM   #242
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
[...]So no GPS on the APS-C flagship, huh? No button. If true, that's a bit disappointing. I use that regularly on the K-3ii. But no mention of a pop-up flash, either.
I can't recall anything about not having GPS in the video. I suspect it will have GPS, but no flash. No button means control will probably be through mode button and 3rd wheel, and/or on the 'info' screen - especially as back screen is almost certainly 'touch'. The eye detector under viewfinder would seem to confirm that - despite the smokescreen comment about it 'turning the screen off'. All supposition of course.
05-15-2020, 05:24 AM   #243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think “surprise” (or withholding details) is part of their viral marketing strategy that started with K-7 (remember the OOF and super close-up photos trickling out?).
I think other revelations about the camera body are still to come........it keeps the enthusiasm going!!
05-15-2020, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
I can't recall anything about not having GPS in the video. I suspect it will have GPS, but no flash. No button means control will probably be through mode button and 3rd wheel, and/or on the 'info' screen - especially as back screen is almost certainly 'touch'. The eye detector under viewfinder would seem to confirm that - despite the smokescreen comment about it 'turning the screen off'. All supposition of course.
You could be right. They seem to be purposely obfuscating some details, I'm sure they know this will drive 1000-post threads of speculation, which is way cheaper than conventional advertising.

05-15-2020, 05:40 AM - 2 Likes   #245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Right, everyone pile over to dpr and blitzkrieg the mirrorless brigade and stomp all over the Pentax is dead, they still alive, why don't they go mirrorless, they should join the L or E mount, the designs are Tamron, Tokina, Sigma type posts. Full mobilisation of Pentaxians BTW for those who don't get my sense of humour, this is very tongue in cheek.

I especially enjoyed how the lens product manager basically intimated that resolution is a given (as in any designer can do that) but because we're Pentax, it's the rendering that is more important.

S!
05-15-2020, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's great to have updates on the APS-C flagship. I think they've put to bed any further talk of a flippy screen or a hybrid viewfinder. I like the pointed emphasis on "dynamisim", clearly they're trying to improve the tracking autofocus which is really one of my key requirements. The battery grip is nice, although I've never used one and I don't think it will be of great benefit to my shooting style.

At some point in the last couple years I said that all I really wanted in a new lens was a WR version of the 21mm limited. So it's awesome they're making one, but for an APS-C user... I don't know if I'll get the new one. The biggest selling point (for me) for the DA Limiteds is their tiny size. The DFA 21mm looks about as big as the 20-40mm LTD or the 31mm LTD. The DC motor is great. But I don't know. I think I'd still lean towards the 20-40 or the new 16-50. All of these new designs are going to be (I'm guessing) $1000+ lenses at launch.

Just thinking of use cases. I have the current 21mm limited, along with the 15 and 40. The only real problem I have with those is bad weather. The new one brings me higher corner-to-corner image quality, WR and the motor. But it's twice the size or more and will not be cheap. The 16-50 or the 20-40 bring all of that, but with a wider range which is nice in poor weather. The 20-40 is under $500, used you can sometimes find one for under $400. It's a quandary... But a good one to have!

So no GPS on the APS-C flagship, huh? No button. If true, that's a bit disappointing. I use that regularly on the K-3ii. But no mention of a pop-up flash, either.
Did you not hear them say that they will be releasing more details in the future?? They aren't going to divulge everything, they plan to keep the excitement going till release date is announced.
05-15-2020, 05:56 AM - 2 Likes   #247
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The DA 20-40mm LTD gives you 21mm (but also 20, and 22-40), it's 2.8 at the wide end, it has a DC motor, it has WR. It's 68mm long and weighs under 300g. It is sharp and has nice rendering. Currently $496 on B&H.

The new 21mm LTD gives you 21mm. Not sure of the aperture. Has DC/WR. And it looks like it'll be in the neighborhood of 68mm long and weighing at least 300g, although we don't know exactly. The FA31mm and FA77 are about $800, so I'm guessing this one will probably be about $1000 at launch.

I agree with Sandy, the advantages of the new 21mm on APS-C are going to be slight, and the cost much more.
LOL, I have all of those... Cost isn't a big deal for me (good job and no kids).

I just prefer primes to zooms. Don't get me wrong, I love the DA20-40 and use it much more than the DA21 because of the IQ, but I miss the limitation of the DA21 and the creativity that limitation forces me into. I just get better results. On top of that 21mm is a great FOV for my style... The DFA21 can the best of both worlds for me... But I understand that might sound weird...

Wim

05-15-2020, 06:04 AM   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Full mobilisation of Pentaxians BTW for those who don't get my sense of humour, this is very tongue in cheek.
I'm considering the possibility of creating an account on DPR just to proselytize the DSLR and the Pentax way

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I especially enjoyed how the lens product manager basically intimated that resolution is a given (as in any designer can do that) but because we're Pentax, it's the rendering that is more important.

Yes! A picture of a test chart at 100% pixel level is boring.
05-15-2020, 06:10 AM   #249
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I'm considering the possibility of creating an account on DPR just to proselytize the DSLR and the Pentax way
You would be banned.
The mods there are supporting trolls and Pentax-bashers; being a genuine Pentaxian - particularly one happy with its choice - is frowned upon.
05-15-2020, 06:13 AM - 2 Likes   #250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You would be banned.
The mods there are supporting trolls and Pentax-bashers; being a genuine Pentaxian - particularly one happy with its choice - is frowned upon.
Being banned from DPR is a "risk" I'm willing to take
05-15-2020, 06:19 AM - 4 Likes   #251
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Being banned from DPR is a badge of honor. At the start of PF members bragged about being banned at DPR.
05-15-2020, 06:24 AM   #252
Pentaxian

That DFA 21 sertainly looks bigger than my FA 31. Or about the same size. Which is good! I like my FA31 size. Wish it was WR DC too thou.. really looking forward of this new limited!
05-15-2020, 06:24 AM   #253
Veteran Member

For me and my KP, no need to change, I will get the 16-50PLM to go with my 55-300. Great couple and will sell my Sigma 17-70
05-15-2020, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #254
Veteran Member

Just don't go around recommending people to clean sensors with a pressure washer...
05-15-2020, 06:48 AM   #255

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Alas, yes.
I wouldn't risk someone to be fired those days.
My guess would be Black friday/ $1400/ limited supply till March as Vietnam stabilizes?