Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 223 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2020, 08:14 AM   #271
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It was also really informative on why they went to a convex front element on the 85.
... concave, no?

I keep seeing people write convex, but the video states concave (@4:46) and though hard to see in the video, it looks concave...

05-15-2020, 08:22 AM   #272
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That 85 sertainly has thing going for it, that front element for starter and that DFA21 looks just amazing! This is the reason that they said that making DFA31 would have changed too much of it's characteristicks. They have tried it, here is propably best proof. So good!
05-15-2020, 08:23 AM   #273
Pentaxian

It says "concave". Just like in Zeiss Milvus 85mm F/1.4:
https://www.lensrentals.com/product-assets/33fd8d79bd52a4c5398cbedb08b19496b...0BREAKDOWN.jpg
05-15-2020, 08:26 AM - 4 Likes   #274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Limited Design Philosophy

In their presentation of the new D FA 21mm Limited, I was struck by their overview of the design philosophy for the Limited series.

The Department Manager Iwasaki-san mentioned three essential factors:
  • Natural image rendition, which creates the ambience that can't be measured simply in numerical values;
  • Sheer joy of owning a truly special lens; and
  • Pure excitement of picture-taking.
Furthermore, these three factors "embody our wishes" for "our users to cherish the lens for a long time; and for the lens to retain its charm for decades."

They're speaking in terms of owning and enjoying a lens for a long time.

They chose 21mm in part because they "realized that many full-frame users already owned several FA Limited lenses" and they "wanted to provide them with a focal length that is not available in the current Limited-series lineup."

So, I infer that Ricoh (Pentax) considers the three existing FA Limited lenses to be still very relevant, despite their design age. In my opinion, that speaks highly of the enduring quality and 'enjoyability' of the Limited lenses.

- Craig

05-15-2020, 08:31 AM   #275
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
So, I infer that Ricoh (Pentax) considers the three existing FA Limited lenses to be still very relevant, despite their design age. In my opinion, that speaks highly of the enduring quality and 'enjoyability' of the Limited lenses.
This could also hint at a potential reissue of the current FA LTD lenses? such as HD coatings, (and hopefully) WR seals, silent focus?
Similar to the reissue of the Fisheye and the 35mm f/2 ?
05-15-2020, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #276
Pentaxian

It appears to me that after Hoya cleared out the Jun Hirakawa era designers, the young bucks are coming into their own.

---------- Post added 05-15-20 at 11:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
This could also hint at a potential reissue of the current FA LTD lenses? such as HD coatings, (and hopefully) WR seals, silent focus?
Hard to say. There's going to be a certain amount of "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Those FA LTDs have charm all their own, part of which is their compactness. Compared to my DA 21 ltd, the DFA 21 ld is huge. I suspect they look and see how the DFA 21 ltd does as a way of gauging the merits of redoing already popular lenses.

---------- Post added 05-15-20 at 11:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
... concave, no?

I keep seeing people write convex, but the video states concave (@4:46) and though hard to see in the video, it looks concave...
Noted and edited.

---------- Post added 05-15-20 at 11:55 AM ----------

People still love owning them... what else can you ask for from a lens?

Last edited by normhead; 05-15-2020 at 08:56 AM.
05-15-2020, 09:33 AM - 3 Likes   #277
Pentaxian

Well, they're definitely 100% committed to the OVF, like they've previously stated. Having a FF OVF like view in an APS-C body? That's amazing! I can only imagine what they'll do with the future FF models, not that I'm interested in one, though. It sounds like they've reworked the AF system completely. We'll find out later on how much effort they really put into it. So far good!

05-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #278
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t think they will update and reissue the Princesses with internal motors and WR seeals, but the 21 indicates the direction they are taking the Limited lesns line. Modern means bigger.
05-15-2020, 10:19 AM   #279
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My goodness it's a treat to listen to people who actually know what they're talking about.

The difference between DFA and LTD lenses , and lightweight more portable variable aperture zooms should be required listening for anyone who wants to comment on lenses. Not knowing the design characteristics of the various lines has caused a lot of confusion and ignorant criticism of various lenses, solely because the poster didn't understand what the lens is designed for. That would include anyone saying things like "Your 21 ltd. isn't all that sharp." Guess what, it wasn't designed to be sharp.

It was also really informative on why they went to a concave front element on the 85. After all the second guessing about Pentax lens design it was so interesting to hear Pentax came up with something no one on the forum has even ever suggested. They were so far ahead of the forum critics, no one could anticipate where they were going. That's actually the first time I've ever heard a lens designer explain why a certain element of a lens was selected instead of just going with the conventional.

And finally, they redid the 16-50. I've always thought they should redesign the 16-50. Like for 10 years now. It is just so cool instead of just new coatings they are more conscious of the overall performance. For years while my Tess was happily going along with her Tamron 17-50 which while great lens when it works has failed to produce an accurate image in 20 consecutive test shots in my lens comparisons. I've wanted a Pentax alternative for her, since the Tamron started acting up, which wasn't that long after we bought it. Also , the Tamron isn't WR which since many of our best images are taken on canoe trips, is really problematic fo us. It's almost certain to have the edge to edge sharpness the Tamron and Sigma 17-50s have always had. (Rondec please don't post 15 DA*16-50 image here.)

So three much needed lenses and a new body, making 4 new Pentax lenses, this year.

I'm going to have to start saving my pennies again...wait, we don't have pennies in Canada anymore. Quarters it is then. I bought the 28-105 because it was all they had. The DFA 21 ltd. will be the first I buy for the K- because of it's lens design characteristics. Characteristics that are a feature of Pentax, not for the masses.
Well, maybe nickels or dimes there (although you can't now take them to the banks and expect them to deposit for you).

I'm also very happy to see the 16-50mm redone, although it does look to be slightly bigger. Just changing to the PLM on the flagship body is likely to speed things up by around 25% (based on the 55-300mm PLM). I've not commented on these forum areas for a while, but these seem very positive commitments.

Popcorn comments:
- I'm not convinced that there will be an EVF overlay on the OVF, but will be happily surprised if so.
- Really like the appearance of the ergos and button locations
- I REALLY hope that the body is of similar size to the K-5/7 series, rather than the K-3. Too big for long distance hiking for me if so.
- I really hope that the video is of better quality and has non-digital SR, as I now use gear for hybrid work
05-15-2020, 11:04 AM - 2 Likes   #280
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that's less likely...
With any Limited reissue, your existing customer base would have to ask, "keep the old one or buy the refresh?" with some percentage sticking with the old one "it works on my K1000!"

With this new one, your existing customer base has to ask, "do I preorder now or wait until it's in stores?..."

I could definitely see them doing refresh of the old ones, but it would imply they are still popular and Ricoh has run out (much like the HD 35), and I don't know that I'd expect WR and all that...

They seemed to indicate they're working on a new line of Limiteds...
There's a lot they could do there... 24-60 f3.2 Limited (the street walkabout), 120mm f2.3 Limited (portrait limited), whatever... lots of possibilities...

-Eric
05-15-2020, 11:28 AM   #281
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I enjoyed how Mr Iwasaki talked about the different characteristics and details of the individual lenses and what their motivation is.

The moderator (I forgot his name) kept asking about the planned release time. I had the impression that he knows that users don't like the repeated delays and announcements of announcements to be announced.
05-15-2020, 12:09 PM - 2 Likes   #282
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Super cool that they got a joystick on the battery grip too.
05-15-2020, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #283
Veteran Member

Super cool that they got a joystick on the battery grip too.
Yeah, that's one decked out grip; joystick, third dial, etc...
05-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #284
Pentaxian

I'm afraid your voice would be drowned out by the sea of 'one-line snipers' -- the DPR posters who write short, snarky comments that don't hold water or reflect a total unawareness of Pentax products.

Speaking of DPR...

I think the Pentax video may have inadvertently presented a new target for DPR's critical Pentax reviews. While developing the new 85mm, apparently the designers found "purplish tints along the eyelashes and on the edges of the skin," and the "skin's subtle shades turning purplish or greenish in areas...," so they're "working hard to minimize chromatic aberration."

So, expect DPR to introduce a special, tailored test condition -- The Purple Spotlight Eyelash Test(TM)

- Craig
What they were describing is longitudinal chromatic aberration: magenta tint in front of the focal plane and green tint behind it. They said they (almost) suppressed this aberration, meaning the D FA★ 85mm f/1.4 is an apochromatic lens. Nothing but praise is to be expected in this area.

I noted something else that could be targeted at if somebody were willing to be critical. They hinted at purposely keeping some spherical aberration to obtain a smoother bokeh with a nice foreground / background balance. Watch therefore for what 'reviewers' will say concerning the spherical aberration.
05-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #285
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
The moderator (I forgot his name) kept asking about the planned release time. I had the impression that he knows that users don't like the repeated delays and announcements of announcements to be announced.
I'm comfortable with delays and announcements of announcements, so I didn't think that at all. I was thinking he was trying to get some guestimations that maybe Pentax isn't confident enough to publish yet.

---------- Post added 05-15-20 at 03:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
What they were describing is longitudinal chromatic aberration: magenta tint in front of the focal plane and green tint behind it. They said they (almost) suppressed this aberration, meaning the D FA★ 85mm f/1.4 is an apochromatic lens. Nothing but praise is to be expected in this area.

I noted something else that could be targeted at if somebody were willing to be critical. They hinted at purposely keeping some spherical aberration to obtain a smoother bokeh with a nice foreground / background balance. Watch therefore for what 'reviewers' will say concerning the spherical aberration.
None of he reviewers will have the qualifications of the Pentax design team, it's sad their ignorance counts for so much in the mind of the public. There's nothing can be done about it though. An ignorant public will trust the word of ignorant reviewers, it's always been that way.