Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2020, 10:08 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Bokeh as standout feature of f4 uwa lens? Perhaps they've made it faster but with more "traditional" image performance at large apertures. Makes the lens flexible.

It looked a fair bit bigger than the 31mm, or what do you think?
I've never handled the 31, but yes I thought the new 21 seemed large.

05-14-2020, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It has a built-in AF motor and is weather-sealed.

They won't have gone crazy on optical benchmark performance but I guess some updated requirements demand that it is bigger than a regular 21mm film Limited would have been.
05-14-2020, 10:14 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It has a built-in AF motor and is weather-sealed.

They won't have gone crazy on optical benchmark performance but I guess some updated requirements demand that it is bigger than a regular 21mm film Limited would have been.
This is why I don’t believe they will directly upgrade the Three Princesses.
05-14-2020, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh shoot. I'm bigtime in on this one.

Hadn't planned on spending New Lens money, but this one will get me for sure. Boy does this scratch an itch.

Then factor in the DC motor and WR extras. I didn't expect a WOW lens in this release, but we sure got one!

Last edited by disasterfilm; 05-14-2020 at 10:38 PM.
05-14-2020, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
(...)

It looked a fair bit bigger than the 31mm, or what do you think?
Yes, FA 31mm Limited on steroids.
05-14-2020, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

A wish that will not happen: an f/1.8 lens with non-rounded blades... A beauty nevertheless.
05-14-2020, 11:06 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My guess is f2.8. The front element looks about the same size as my Pentax-A 20mm f2.8. I could be wrong, of course, but we shouldn't have to wait too long to find out.

Edit: If I ever get out of this *%!^$$ lockdown, I'm in the market for this and the 85mm.

05-14-2020, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe I'm wrong; maybe it's just my prejudices; but I think the DFA 21 Limited will sell better than the DFA* 85. It's certainly a more useful lens to me.
05-14-2020, 11:26 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'm actually happy they allowed it to become a bit bigger. This should mean the optics/size balance has been tweaked a bit towards optics. The DA limiteds, nice though they are, could in my view have sacrificed a bit of size for a bit of improvement optically.

It looks about the right size to me! The motors obviously make it fatter but that's fine as well. Being a limited it's likely to be very expensive. Looking forward to it!
05-14-2020, 11:26 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

This HD Pentax-D FA 21 mm ED Limited DC WR could actually threaten my standard zooms.

A K-1 combined with a DFA 21mm limitd plus 77mm limited would actually cover most of my needs in a hell of a sexy package. As a third companion adding the Laowa 12mm all metal lens, which is pretty close to limited design.

Hmm. Positively surprised.
05-14-2020, 11:30 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

This lens is a welcome surprise. As WA-options go, I now use FA* 24 f/2, A 20mm f/2,8 and FAJ 18-35 on my K-1, all of which perform quite good, but I would like a little more sharpness in the corners. Also faster focus and weather sealing wouldn't hurt. If the 21 Limited performs well, it might very well end up being my go-to lens. Very exited!
05-14-2020, 11:36 PM - 4 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

Surprise?
Close?
05-14-2020, 11:37 PM - 27 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Yay...!.
Much needed wide angle prime for the K-1. And its a limited series. So we all know what to expect.
So, Ricoh has decided to try to cash in on he cult of Limiteds. It was bound to happen.
But seriously, it's a needed focal length that is like a banana.
It has a lot of appeal.
I'll buy it, but then, Pentax could put their name on a wet turd, and I would buy it.
Seriously, well, not really, I just finished a bottle of wine and I'm quite drunk, I am really looking forward to this lens. It is the Limited lenses brought forward to the 21st century, and I bet it will be a dandy lens.
I'm a little confused regarding talking about bokeh on an ultra-wide, it implies a very fast aperture, but the lens they showed looks like it will be somewhere in the f2.4 range. Hardly a bokeh monster considering it's focal length.
I bet it's going to be a kickass lens.
Pentax, I'll just send you m credit card number on this one.
This incoherent post is compliments of Campo Viejo Rioja, circa 2014.
I love you all, and you are all invited to Wheatfield's house next Thursday for smoked Brisket and alcohol.
Especially that cute little engineer in the bottom left corner.
Dear God, I'm embarrassing myself. At least I'm a happy drunk.
Hugs and kisses to everyone. Stay safe, and if you have to drink, do it in the safety of your home. Don't go out to a crowded bar.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 09-16-2020 at 09:42 PM. Reason: words
05-14-2020, 11:47 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
So, Ricoh has decided to try to cash in on he cult of Limiteds. It was bound to happen.
But seriously, it's a needed focal length that is like a banana.
It has a lot of appeal.
I'll buy it, bu then, Pentax could put their name on a wet turd, and I would bu it.
Seriously, well, not really, I just finished a bottle of wine and I'm quite drunk, I am really looking forward to this lens. It is the Limited lenses brought forward to the 21st century, and I bet it will be a dandy lens.
I'm a little confused regarding talking about bokeh on an ultra-wide, it implies a very fast aperture, but the lens they showed looks like it will be somewhere in the f2.4 range. Hardly a bokeh monster considering it's focal length.
I bet it's going to be a kickass lens.
Pentax, I'll just send you m credit card number on this one.
This incoherent post is compliments of Campo Viejo Rioja, circa 2014.
I love you all, and you are all invited to Wheatfield's house next Thursday for smoked Brisket and alcohol.
Especially that cute little engineer in the bottom left corner.
Dear God, I'm embarrassing myself. At least I'm a happy drunk.
Hugs and kisses to everyone. Stay safe, and if you have to drink, do it in the safety of your home. Don't go out to a crowded bar.
Such candour!
05-15-2020, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cenvin Quote
It didn't mention what's the aperture or did I missed it?
Wouldn't mind for F4 since the wide angle, but F2.8 would be great
I also imagine it would be 2.8 or brighter, why else would they talk about bookeh on a 21mm lens
Closed Thread