Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Days Ago   #406
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
That makes good sense - I'd also add that if you're someone like me, having the location of your landscape/travel shot come up on Flickr, for example (or LR, for that matter) is very useful - particularly if you've forgotten exactly where you took the picture
Yep - I personally keep the GPS turned off and I haven't really had the chance to do astro since I got the K-1 (good luck with non-cloudy skies and non-freezing nights in Germany from October to May ) but I will most likely do so during summer.

I was missing flash in some situations so I got a Metz 48 for 50€ second hand - it works very well and certainly stomps the on-board the K-7 had (which was useful basically never, I didn't like the results at all), but I might have to get Metz 26 or so that I actually carry around for fill flash during photo walks around the city .

4 Days Ago   #407
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sure. This isn't an announcement as such, it is updating the lens map with some details, more of which will come later. We knew for a long time that there was an 85mm lens coming, but they didn't tell us for certain that it was an f1.4 lens till they showed the mock up.
Err... no.
  • 25 February 2016: 'Large Aperture Medium Telephoto Single Focus Lens' (CP+ 2016, roadmap)
  • 23 February 2017: 'D FA★ 85mm f/1.4' (CP+ 2017, roadmap)
  • 26-28 February 2019: 'HD Pentax-D FA★ 85mm f/1.4 (tentative name)' + picture + mock-up (CP+ 2019)
  • 24 March 2020: 'HD Pentax-D FA★ 85mm f/1.4 ED SDM AW' + pictures + some specifications (development announcement)
4 Days Ago   #408
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Err... no.
  • 25 February 2016: 'Large Aperture Medium Telephoto Single Focus Lens' (CP+ 2016, roadmap)
  • 23 February 2017: 'D FA★ 85mm f/1.4' (CP+ 2017, roadmap)
  • 26-28 February 2019: 'HD Pentax-D FA★ 85mm f/1.4 (tentative name)' + picture + mock-up (CP+ 2019)
  • 24 March 2020: 'HD Pentax-D FA★ 85mm f/1.4 ED SDM AW' + pictures + some specifications (development announcement)
I'll take not knowing the aperture until the release day over the 3 years of waiting since knowing the name, length and speed, though
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #409
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I'll take not knowing the aperture until the release day over the 3 years of waiting since knowing the name, length and speed, though
Patience, young grasshopper.

4 Days Ago - 4 Likes   #410
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You've all got it wrong, if you wanted extreme sharpness and a sliver of DOF you should have picked up the 645 25mm and paired it with the 645Z
Jean is more than capable of pulling remarkable images from lenses that would not be highly regarded, have seen it myself in the Single's-in challenges over the years and while BS might be strong, it is a valid complaint, on the opposite side, it does give some here reason to bicker for the next 9 months or so. Noel also made a good point, there are K's, M's and A's capable of filling the gap but I suspect more work needed. Interweb current photography fashion is sharp, sharp, sharp and to hell with everything else but they lack that 'je ne sais pas' which can't be measured. It's wrong but the masses have bought in. I'm getting the 21 Limited, don't care about the price, don't care about the specs which might sound foolish to some but I have faith in the designers that they will give me something more modern but with the classic non sterile rendering which brought us all here in the first place. Plus it's a new lens and we all like new lens if it is in the right class.
4 Days Ago   #411
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the whole point is that if you are satisfied with older, manual focus glass, then this is not the lens for you, regardless of aperture. It is going to be way more expensive than some of the used options on the market. But some of us like newer glass with auto focus and newer coatings and it will be a nice option.

This is not to disparage older glass, only to say that that glass isn't for everyone.
4 Days Ago   #412
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
F1.8 is not needed for me. Anything faster than F4 will work well. But straight aperture blades to create starbursts? Now that would be magical.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Thanks a lot for the compliment ... I appreciate it coming from you.

Again, I am sure that the new 21mm will be very nice, but I have to a big "BS" on this one.

How can anyone announce that they are developing a top-shelf UWA lens without giving the maximum aperture ?!

That is crucial. How can I even begin to evaluate if this UWA would be right for me ?

Please do not get me wrong, I love my Pentax gear and many of you know that I have a ton that I use and actually post images with here on PF.

I want Pentax to succeed, but no indication of the maximum aperture for this 21mm is unacceptable IMHO.

Enough said and let the stone throwing begin ...
Yeah man, I'm with you, Pentax are being cagey af these days, not just this lens but also the K-new.. hehe uh oh...
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #413
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You called it "a big "BS"" yourself.

How could they do that? Easily: the same way they previously referred to it as an "ultra wide-angle single focus lens" (before which it was known as a "large aperture ultra wide-angle single focus lens", so there was a requirement change). The same way they first published incomplete specs for every single lens on the roadmap.
The 21mm is expected next year. I would like to know everything about it, but knowing that will have to suffice.

Being so unreasonably unforgiving conflicts with wanting Pentax to succeed, by the way.
Nope, cannot agree, not conflicting. I have a law degree and have taught in higher education ... there's a slight difference between a fact and a hope. I have to deal with facts. Unforgiving facts. Period.

It's fact that no one knows the maximum aperture of this new 21mm at its announcement (as opposed to the two other lenses where we were given the aperture information) ... and I hope more than most that they hit this one out of the ballpark, a major home run ... maybe with an aperture way below f/2.8.

And I would advance that a "roadmap" is always less specific by nature ... than an actual presentation image of the product with glowing accolades of what it will be able to do in the near future, once it is made and on sale.

Again, I find this product image woefully lacking essential information ... and as a general question to all : Has anyone ever seen another manufacturer product release in a similar way?

4 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #414
Pentaxian

Has anyone ever seen another manufacturer product release in a similar way?
I think Canon and Nikon were teasing their 1DXiii and D6 for a decent while showing basically nothing until they finally released the specs. The Canon R5 has had (most of) the video specs leaked but apart from that it's basically as well known as the K-New. For the RF lenses they showed the 70-200/2.8 and didn't even tell people if it was internal zoom or not for months IIRC.

It's typical social-media-era marketing: since people have the attention span of a goldfish with memory problems, constant bombardment with bits and pieces is the only way to keep the product in the heads of the customers.
4 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #415
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope, cannot agree, not conflicting. I have a law degree and have taught in higher education ... there's a slight difference between a fact and a hope. I have to deal with facts. Unforgiving facts. Period.

It's fact that no one knows the maximum aperture of this new 21mm at its announcement (as opposed to the two other lenses where we were given the aperture information) ... and I hope more than most that they hit this one out of the ballpark, a major home run ... maybe with an aperture way below f/2.8.

And I would advance that a "roadmap" is always less specific by nature ... than an actual presentation image of the product with glowing accolades of what it will be able to do in the near future, once it is made and on sale.

Again, I find this product image woefully lacking essential information ... and as a general question to all : Has anyone ever seen another manufacturer product release in a similar way?
Those two photos of fairly completely finished lenses have generated over 400 posts on this Forum alone, and didn’t cost Ricoh a dime of marketing. They probably would have shown those very items at CP+ along with the DA*16~50/2.8 and the new camera. Depending on when in 2021 they plan to release the lens, they could be fairly close to production-ready, meaning they probably hold back the actual aperture purposefully.

Last edited by monochrome; 4 Days Ago at 10:03 AM.
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #416
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Those two photos of fairly completely finished lenses have generated over 400 posts on this Forum alone, and didn’t cost Ricoh a dime of marketing. They probably would have shown those very items at CP+ along with the DA*16~50/2.8 and the new camera. Depending on when in 2021 they plan to release the lens, they could be fairly close to production-ready, meaning they probably hold back the actual aperture purposefully.
Of course they do. They even tried to hold back other parts of the name: D FA 21mm Limited as presented in the video and as written on the roadmap, HD Pentax-D FA 21mm ED Limited DC WR as written on the two lenses shown.
4 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #417
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Or maybe they are stuck in the middle between apertures and can't decide whether to round up or round down!
4 Days Ago - 4 Likes   #418
Pentaxian

Or they are not completely satisfied with the image quality at largest aperture and reserve themselves the right to lower it a bit with a diaphragm that wouldn't open completely, shouldn't they succeed in tweaking the prototypes to obtain the quality level they are after. Hasselblad and Zeiss did so with some recent lenses.
4 Days Ago - 5 Likes   #419
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Or maybe they are stuck in the middle between apertures and can't decide whether to round up or round down!
Nah, it's just that they have one caliper in the entire R&D lab and they misplaced it, so they cannot measure accurately and they aren't confident enough to eyeball it . We'll find the aperture out as soon as they locate the instrument.
4 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #420
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I want this to be the case...

But I have a little bit of a worry there’s a process control decision being made here.
I expect the lens design is final, so there’s not much to do to change it optically...
But they probably could adjust the throw of the aperture (or use some other blocking technology) if the lens in its current “wide open” condition falls short in some way.

If they can get the yield high enough with the original max aperture, they will, but if they can’t, they’ll drop it.
So a 21mm f2.0 might become a 21mm f2.2 and we’ll never be the wiser...

It’s not like they’ve never done that before... (looking at you 55mm f2.2)

-Eric