Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1497 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2020, 05:15 PM   #751
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Is it confirmed that DFA 21 Limited is going to be KAF4?
Woe is me, how could I use it on my Super A then? :P
Not confirmed, but very likely.
You can use it with open aperture. Since the Super A don't offer autofocus, why should you use it on film instead of a cheaper lens with aperture ring like the cheaper A 20mm f2.8?

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
  1. How many of those are first-party (from camera OEMs)?
  2. And how many are, like the Limiteds, meant to be premium options?
  3. I still would love a 24mm f2.8 plastic fantastic along the lines of the DA50mm f1.8 or the DA35mm f2.4, but that's not what this is...
  1. Only the Nikon AF 20mm 2.8D (JAA127DA)
  2. Only the Zeiss Batis 18mm 2.8
  3. That and an DA 85mm 2.8 (or faster) would be interesting. Sony did it:
    Produktvergleich Sony 85mm 2.8 SAM, Canon EF 85mm 1.8 USM, Nikon AF-S 85mm 1.8G, Meike 85mm 1.8 heise online Preisvergleich

11-21-2020, 05:35 PM   #752
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Not confirmed, but very likely.
You can use it with open aperture. Since the Super A don't offer autofocus, why should you use it on film instead of a cheaper lens with aperture ring like the cheaper A 20mm f2.8?

1. Only the Nikon AF 20mm 2.8D (JAA127DA)
  2. Only the Zeiss Batis 18mm 2.8
  3. That and an DA 85mm 2.8 (or faster) would be interesting. Sony did it:
    Produktvergleich Sony 85mm 2.8 SAM, Canon EF 85mm 1.8 USM, Nikon AF-S 85mm 1.8G, Meike 85mm 1.8 heise online Preisvergleich
Not the Nikon 20/1.8G, the Sony 20/1.8G or the Nikon Z 20/1.8? Sure, two are MILC designs, but they are also fairly large, part of the "premium" series and sub-1K.
11-21-2020, 06:52 PM   #753
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Good thing since a significant portion of their audience from the 1990s has died of old age.
If they aren't aiming at a 1990s audience, what audience are they aiming at?
If the answer is a 2020s audience, then the expectations are different. We expect corner to corner sharpness. We expect purple fringing to be non existent. We expect decent wide open performance, and the nature of digital photography has raised the expectations bar a lot since the original Limited lenses were released.
What are considered quirks in a legacy lens will be death to a lens released now.
The point being, someone thinking a 21mm Limited lens is going to cost significantly south of US$2k is going to be sorely disappointed.
You can beat this drum forever.
The fact is that Pentax will get only so much for a "Limited" lens.
Of ones currently sold by B&H, the most expensive is the FA 31mm f/1.8 which is priced below $1000 by B&H.
Of course, being "FF" will add to the price, and being new will add to the price, but there is still only so high they can go.

Last edited by reh321; 11-21-2020 at 07:14 PM. Reason: I listed lens which is not a "Limited"
11-21-2020, 06:55 PM   #754
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Of ones currently sold by B&H, the most expensive is the DA* 200mm f/2.8 which is priced just below $1000 by B&H.
Of course, being "FF" will add to the price, and being new will add to the price, but there is still only so high they can go.
The D FA* 85/1.4 sells for $1900 (and the telezooms go for $1800-2000). But, of course, those are Star lenses. The existing Limiteds are not quite comparable to the new D FA 21, though.

We will see when we see.

11-21-2020, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #755

I'm gonna call it. D FA 21mm limited f1.7236.
11-21-2020, 08:13 PM - 3 Likes   #756
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Of ones currently sold by B&H, the most expensive is the FA 31mm f/1.8 which is priced below $1000 by B&H.
The 31 is a two decade old design, and has the price advantage of 20 years unchanged in the market. What do you suppose it would cost today if it was a fresh design optimized for a 50mp or better sensor with no purple fringing rather than Velvia from 1999?
I bet it would be priced in the *85 range rather than the *50 range.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 11-22-2020 at 07:53 AM.
11-22-2020, 03:54 AM - 5 Likes   #757
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it's release price will likely be in the 1500 dollar range, maybe a bit higher.

The whole point of limiteds in the past was small size, metal build, and interesting rendering. This lens is going to be a bit bigger which speaks to me of more corrected optics as well as the in lens motor. It will surely have excellent contrast, minimal fringing, and minimal flare. If it matches these sorts of things, I'll definitely be in line for one. This is about the perfect focal length to me and would be so much more portable than the DFA 15-30.

11-22-2020, 04:01 AM   #758
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Not the Nikon 20/1.8G, the Sony 20/1.8G or the Nikon Z 20/1.8?
Sure, two are MILC designs, but they are also fairly large, part of the "premium" series and sub-1K.
What do you mean with not? You did a full quote, but i can't read your question in mind.
You name it, they are MILC design. So no technical comparision for DSLR lens designs.

---------- Post added 22nd Nov 2020 at 12:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This lens is going to be a bit bigger which speaks to me of more corrected optics as well as the in lens motor.
Hopefully comes QS with the integrated motor. And WR or AW.
11-22-2020, 05:18 AM   #759
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
However, there may be refreshes of existing lenses that keep the mechanical coupling.
That's a different situation that I wasn't considering when I made my original statement.

We'll see what happens but I doubt I'm wrong in that all new lenses going forward will be KAF4 mount lenses with no mechanical linkage to the camera.
11-22-2020, 06:10 AM - 3 Likes   #760
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think it's release price will likely be in the 1500 dollar range, maybe a bit higher.

The whole point of limiteds in the past was small size, metal build, and interesting rendering. This lens is going to be a bit bigger which speaks to me of more corrected optics as well as the in lens motor. It will surely have excellent contrast, minimal fringing, and minimal flare. If it matches these sorts of things, I'll definitely be in line for one. This is about the perfect focal length to me and would be so much more portable than the DFA 15-30.
To me the HD Pentax-D FA 21mm ED Limited DC WR being longer than the smc Pentax-FA 31mm f/1.8 AF ED Limited speaks first and foremost of a much shorter focal length, less than half the back focal distance, hence a retrofocus / inverted telephoto design with a front group of much higher negative power, hence:
  1. an optical centre farther from the front group, hence a longer lens and
  2. much more pronounced aberrations to be corrected (distortion, coma, lateral chromatic aberrations and more), hence more elements in both groups, the front negative group and the rear positive group, including more aspheric elements and/or more elements made of special glass, hence a more expensive lens
all other things being equal.

Add higher image quality requirements (lesser drop in sharpness outside the centre, aberrations better corrected) on top of the constraints arising from the shorter focal length and you'll obtain an even bigger and more expensive lens.
11-22-2020, 06:25 AM   #761
Veteran Member

I hope that at the very least I can use the glass on film bodies with aperture control. Doubly better if it comes with screw drive AF mode that the lens reverts to on older bodies. That way I can use all my ltds on film and on digital, an honestly amazing lightweight high quality setup for both film + digital mediums. But also extremely unlikely.
11-22-2020, 06:55 AM - 3 Likes   #762
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
I hope that at the very least I can use the glass on film bodies with aperture control. Doubly better if it comes with screw drive AF mode that the lens reverts to on older bodies. That way I can use all my ltds on film and on digital, an honestly amazing lightweight high quality setup for both film + digital mediums. But also extremely unlikely.
As others have pointed out this is very unlikely: in all probability this lens will have a KAF4 mount. With older cameras including film cameras, you'll only be able to use it at full aperture. Note in particular that the prototypes which were presented in May lacked the aperture coupling lever.

However, nobody forbids you to dream.
11-22-2020, 06:57 AM   #763
Pentaxian

I hope that at the very least I can use the glass on film bodies with aperture control.

Doubly better if it comes with screw drive AF mode that the lens reverts to on older bodies.

That way I can use all my ltds on film and on digital, an honestly amazing lightweight high quality setup for both film + digital mediums. But also extremely unlikely.
If you prefer aperture control over AF, why do you want new lenses for film cameras? The image quality won't improve if you expose a 20th century technology film with a 21th century resolution lens.
11-22-2020, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #764
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
If you prefer aperture control over AF, why do you want new lenses for film cameras? The image quality won't improve if you expose a 20th century technology film with a 21th century resolution lens.
Simply for the sake of needing less to accomplish the same job. The more functionality retained going forward and back, the better for my professional/personal use. In a lot of my travelling I simply pack my MZ-3 and K-1 with the DFA 28-105 and one or two ltds. Low light performance when I want it, decent IQ and zoom range when I want it. If I could do the same with this ltd, that would be great. Not every consideration is about IQ, but a matter of finding the right setup for the right output. The less money and weight I can get away with to do that, the better.
11-22-2020, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #765
Pentaxian

Simply for the sake of needing less to accomplish the same job. The more functionality retained going forward and back, the better for my professional/personal use. In a lot of my travelling I simply pack my MZ-3 and K-1 with the DFA 28-105 and one or two ltds. Low light performance when I want it, decent IQ and zoom range when I want it. If I could do the same with this ltd, that would be great. Not every consideration is about IQ, but a matter of finding the right setup for the right output. The less money and weight I can get away with to do that, the better.
Then get an FA 20mm f/2.8.
Closed Thread